Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-25-2013, 07:38 PM   #1

New Jayco owner

We just traded in our 2010 Forest River Rockwood 5th wheel and bought a 2013 Jayco Eagle model 28.5 RLS 5th wheel. Friends of ours bought a new trailer and suggested that we should look around while the Rockwood still had some trade-in value, we did and after seeing the build quality in comparison to the Rockwood, we put in an order with a proviso that as much carpet as possible be removed from the trailer or there was no deal. Our dealer asked the factory to skip the carpet install step, but they refused to do so even though it just meant missing one step on the assembly line.

Our dealer hired a couple of carpet installers from a local store and when our trailer came in they removed all the carpet in the bedroom area and the other at the rear of the trailer where the two chairs sit by the large window. They told us that the slide carpet and the carpet along the slide could not be removed, and we accepted that. My wife and I both have severe allergies so the removal of the carpet would have been a deal breaker. We had shopped for over a month before settling on the Jayco, saw a lot of trailers at twice the Jayco's cost, but no one would budge on removing the carpet. The last year we had the Rockwood, I had all the carpet removed in it similar to the Jayco and have noticed on other sites that a lot of owners are removing carpet and either putting down wall to wall vinyl tiles or laminate flooring. We wonder when trailer manufactures are going to wake up to this demand by their customers.

We agreed to split the difference with the dealer 50/50 to get this done. Our only complaint is that the floor creaks at the location of the heat vent in front of the bed to the top of the stairs.

We had a campout last weekend at a Provincial Park in Northern Ontario, and used almost every system to make sure things were working properly. We are very pleased with the outcome and the trailer is going back for some minor repairs for things noticed when properly set up. I was talking to someone in my area and they tell me that it isn't uncommon for the floor to creak when carpet and under pad is removed from trailers, and I was wondering if this is a common complaint. The built quality in this trailer compared to our old Rockwood is amazing. I drive a diesel GMC and the total weight increased by 1800 lbs, but I didn't notice any difference when towing, I opted for the Mor-Ryde hitch and suspension so the trailer is very smooth.
My wife and I are retired so we tend to camp when it is not busy.

I live in Sudbury, Ontario, Canada

Soon to be: 2019 Jayco Eagle HT 27.5RLTS 5th Wheel
2018: 21 days Camping
wakamicamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 07:11 AM   #2

Welcome to the JOF and congrats on the new Jayco! Happy Camping
Old 05-26-2013, 09:17 AM   #3

Welcome, my wife was originally from Ontario, cottage country.

66 nights in 2016
61 nights in 2015
Derek700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 05:07 PM   #4
Site Team

Welcome to the user friendly Jayco Owners forum! Our members just love to answer questions or help out other members when possible and have fun sharing their experiences . They also love pictures of your RV, tow vehicles, and campsites!! So do not hesitate to post pics of your Jayco in the "Pics of your Jayco forum" and pics of your tow vehicle in the "Tow Vehicle forum".

Feel free to participate in our many fun polls (first thread in New Members forum has them all listed, second thread has more new member welcoming info). Post often, have fun with the forum, and enjoy your Jayco!
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote