Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-21-2012, 10:35 AM   #1

New Jayco Owner & first issue (fridge) :)

Hi everyone,

my wife and I just took possession of a 2009 Jayco JAYFEATHER 226.
We bought it new, with a 2 year warranty, with the intent of fulltiming for at least 6 months, and reevaluate after that based on how much we like it.

We had our first trip this past weekend after picking up our TT. Though the learning curve was steeper than I had envisioned, I'm proud to say I have everything working now... except the fridge!

The fridge is a NORCOLD 2-way, AC and propane.
Though the fridge doesn't display any kind of error, it doesn't get cold either, regardless of setting it on AC mode or propane.

I've done some reading online and I think what might be happening is that, after 3 years of the TT sitting , brand new, unused, the amonia might have settled to the bottom. That's the only explanation I found matching the symptoms.

Of course, I'm not dismissing the fact that it might be a user error, but as far as I understand, there isn't much possible error I could have made, since turning on the fridge is as simple as setting the mode for AC and making sure it's plugged, or setting the mode for Propane (no pilot light as far as I can tell, and propane is flowing just fine in the other appliances, stove and water heater, which work fine).

I completely intend to make a warranty call on this, but I wanted to have opinions from more experienced RVers on what could possibly be wrong with our fridge, or what I could have done wrong.

Thanks in advance,
David
dafontai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 12:06 PM   #2

Welcome to the JOF, dafontai. I wish I had a suggestion for you on the fridge but I don't. On mine, there's only a couple of settings so there isn't much that you could have done wrong. Use the warranty if you have it. Did you say it was new?

2015 Ford F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 CC DRW
2015 Eagle Premier 351RSTS

Quahog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 01:12 PM   #3

I think it needs to go to the dealer. If all is right you turn it on and it gets cold.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 03:30 PM   #4

Somethings not right, a trip to the dealer is in order. Hope everything else worked OK.
Welcome to the forum.
wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 05:12 PM   #5

In the back of the fridgefrom the outside you should be able to detect heat from propane or AC. There is an exhaust that typically goes out the roof. No heat=no cooling inside.

Not sure if that will help, but maybe get ya going down the right track. If it's an ammonia problem, it should still heat up.

-Chak

My Write-up on managing 12V and batteries
LED Bulbs and what I did
Chakara is offline   Reply With Quote