Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-15-2012, 09:26 PM   #1

Smile New Jayco owner (to be) in January '13

Will be trading our 2005 Keystone Montana fiver next month for a (new) 2012 Jayco Eagle Super Lite 26.5RKS. Been wanting to "downsize" for awhile now and finally found a dealer that was nice enough (desperate) to give me the price I wanted. I gotta tell ya, I went through a lot of dealers and the prices that were quoted were many thousands of $ apart. I have found that it pays to be persistent.
I have a 2005 GMC Sierra 2500 4X4 Duramax that was undersized for the pin weight of the Montana and I never felt comfortable towing it. That's what happens to a lot of "newbies", I'm sorry to say. But NOW, I am happy to say, I will have PLENTY of power and carrying capacity! I'm also hoping for a little better fuel mileage. I got 10.5 mpg pulling the Montana. Anyone out there venture to guess what my mileage will be with the Jayco?
I could use some opinions from anyone about tires however. I replaced the Marathon (aka Marabomb) tires on my Montana (with Hankooks) due to the horror stories I heard about them. Now, I learn that the Jayco has Marathons. I have a TPMS but do you think I should talk to the dealer about replacing the Marathons with something else, replace them myself after taking delivery of the Jayco or just deal with the Marathons and watch tire pressure, weight, etc., etc.
Looking forward to some great friendships and advice on the Jayco forum :hihi:.
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 09:31 PM   #2
Site Team

Welcome to the forum, troutslayer. Your questions may get more exposure in the 5er forum, as some of our members in the know may not view the new members forum. Enjoy the new Eagle and vote in our many polls! And post often!

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forumdisp...o-Fifth-Wheels

http://www.jaycoowners.com/showthrea...F-Poll-Central
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 12:14 AM   #3

My Jayco 256 rks has the Marathon tires on it, but are USA made, and have been fine although they are a bit undersized in my opinion I think they should be a "D"rated tire on them. I keep mine at 45lbs and so far so good. I started with an F150 towing my trailer and found that it was a little light to tow with when we were loaded up for more than a weekend. We also have a lot of mountain passes to deal with here in BC so we upgraded the a Ram 3500 diesel which is more than enough truck now. You will have zero issues towing with your Duramax.

66 nights in 2016
61 nights in 2015
Derek700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 06:21 AM   #4

troutslayer,

Welcome to JOF.

2006 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax LBZ, CC, 4X4
2005 Jayco Talon ZX24-E Toy Hauler(SOLD).
2017 Forest River Hyper Lite XLR
Prodigy P2 Brake Control
12K Husky Straight Line WD Hitch
chipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 08:18 AM   #5

Just for the record, one of the Marathons that came with my 5er blew out a while back during the winter while sitting beside the garage. Come spring, there was a piece of sidewall laying beside the flat tire. Another one had a large bulge on the inside, just waiting to blow. Replaced all with Maxxis range E on recommendation of many members of this forum, and have had no further problems. JMHO
Retired at last !

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
tinlizzie23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 08:08 PM   #6

I will be replacing them with maxxis tire in a d rating and probably one size larger eventually. Welcome to jaycooowners .

66 nights in 2016
61 nights in 2015
Derek700 is offline   Reply With Quote