Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-27-2017, 10:46 PM   #1

Smile New Jayco Owner with questions

Hi all,

I am new to this forum so if this is in the wrong spot I do apologize.

My name is Mike. I live in Northwest Indiana and I am the new owner of a used (but new to me) 1998 Jayco Cascade Heritage. It is in great condition and was re-canvased in 2009.

This is my first time owning a camper/RV of any kind.

With that has come a couple questions. I would like to make some upgrades to it and am hoping for your opinions.

The first upgrade I'd love to do is install a stereo and speakers of some kind? What have you done? Car Stereo? Or just stick with something more simple like a boombox?

The second thing I would like to do is add underbody LED lighting. What kind of lighting have you installed? What is the best/least intrusive way to accomplish this?

The third thing I'd like to do is get everything switched to LED lights, Interior and Exterior (I.E. turn signals, brake lights, etc.) What kind of bulbs are best without breaking the bank?

Last but not least, I'd love you hear your guy's idea! What have you done to your camper? What kind of upgrades/improvements have you made? Something fun? Maybe something useful, upgrades, improvements, etc.

Thanks to all who respond!
mlambertino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 03:57 AM   #2
Site Team

Welcome to JOF. I looked at the pics you posted and that is a nice rig and looks cared for. Wish my first pop up was that nice.

I won't attempt to address all your questions but will give you some advice that helped me.

1 On the bulb: Make a list of what type bulb is there and how may of each you have. LED's are getting less expensive when purchased in larger quantities. I would not think you would have that many in there but they are easier to get if you know what they are replacing.

2. On the sound system: If you install a car radio and speakers you will add to the power draw on your onboard battery. There are so many options now days, If it were me I would go with a small boom box or a wireless Bluetooth speaker that could be fed from a iphone or something that I'm to old to understand!

3. There are many on here who are better versed in the underbody lights that I am sure will chime in.

4. On an older rig, make sure you give some attention to inspecting the tires and suspension system. They do wear and tires need replacing long before they show wear. Good tires are a good investment to keep from ruining a vacation.

Welcome to JOF. There is a lot of info here if you have time to read some of the threads that interest you.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
cascade, lights, popup, upgrades