Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-25-2014, 06:28 PM   #1

New Jayco Owners - 2015 White Hawk Summit 27DSLR

Hello Everyone!

Well we made the plunge and are now becoming full-time RVers!
We bought a Jayco White Hawk Summit Edition right off the show-room floor and in fact as of this date is still sitting there since we had to buy find an acceptable TV. We had a 1999 Ford F150 SC XLT which, had the 4.6 and 3.55 rear end....And we know we couldn't tow the TT with that, so we found a 1999 Expedition Eddie Bauer with the 5.4, 4 spd. auto & 3.73 axle, HD tow package plus, it has rear air suspension. The Expy has 102,000 miles on it, is a one owner, and we had the spark plugs changed out, radiator flush, tranny oil change, and totally inspected by Ford. We also changed out the "P" rated tires and put on Cooper Mesa A/T LT245/75R16's.
The SUV seems to be in great condition even though we have heard of spark plug problems (Aluminum heads/blowing plugs) and air suspension parts replacement cost is high. Might look into converting to coil & shocks if need be.The dealer was going to put on a Husky friction/chain WDH and I said, "no way!" ..... So, I ordered a Equal-i-zer 4 Point rated at 10,000 pound since the TT GVW is 7500#'s

We can't believe the high cost of RV accessories now days and figure another $1000.00 will be going out just for those items.

So, we pick up the White Hawk in two weeks in Nevada (we've been here 6 months....long story)....and then heading home to Washington state.

Interested in seeing how this combo is going to pull hills and handle. Our last vehicle and TT was a 2008 Ford FX4 SC and a 26 ft Spree Ultra Light, so we know there is going to be a major difference in power, handling and climbing.

Let us know if you have any other suggestions about "full-timing" or advice on our TV vehicle and the White Hawk.

Thanks and...HAPPY & SAFE RVing!
the7thdream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 07:14 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by the7thdream View Post
Hello Everyone!

Well we made the plunge and are now becoming full-time RVers!
We bought a Jayco White Hawk Summit Edition right off the show-room floor and in fact as of this date is still sitting there since we had to buy find an acceptable TV.
Congratulations! on becoming full-timers, and on the new White Hawk. Don't want to hijack the O.P.'s thread, but I just started full-timing 4 weeks ago in my 2013 Eagle 266 RKS. Jayco sure makes some great rigs for full-timing: so many amenities, such great construction, and such reasonable pricing!

Hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine!

Happy Camping!
Old 08-25-2014, 07:15 PM   #3

Sounds great and due a little more checking on using a WDH with air suspension.
Tunce the traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 08:45 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to JOF ......, and congrat's on the full-timing adventure!

Full-timing usually involves a little more "stuff" being loaded in the TV/TT combo, so to confirm your weights and insure that the Equal-i-zer" WDH is dialed-in, a visit to the CAT scale under loaded conditions will pay dividends.

CAT scale how-to: http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3871

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 08:59 PM   #5

Hope all your travels are safe

Well TY for the congrats...And Yes! We are excited to be on the road soon.
And same to you enjoying your Eagle. May you have many happy & safe travels and keep the rubber to the ground!
Stephan & Sally

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownie View Post
Congratulations! on becoming full-timers, and on the new White Hawk. Don't want to hijack the O.P.'s thread, but I just started full-timing 4 weeks ago in my 2013 Eagle 266 RKS. Jayco sure makes some great rigs for full-timing: so many amenities, such great construction, and such reasonable pricing!

Hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine!

Happy Camping!
Old 08-25-2014, 09:00 PM   #6

I drove commercial for over 15 years....The CAT is my friend...Thank You ;-)
Happy Highways to You and Yours!
Old 08-25-2014, 09:15 PM   #7

Thanks for the advice Tunce the Traveler....On Ford vehicles (not sure about other makes) that have air suspension (rear or all four) you should always start up your vehicle, let it adjust, measure, then switch it off when attaching your hitch/TT....after you have made your measurements, turn back on your air suspension and re-measure to see where your at....it should "Hopefully" be the same or, at least no more than 1/8 inch off...If not then make adjustments accordingly.
Old 10-21-2016, 12:11 PM   #8

we pull our 2016 Jayco White Hawk 27 DSRL with a 2012 Volkswagen Touareg Turbo Diesel, we have been in Wyoming, Colorado, Oklahoma, New Mexico, Arizona and California. Just finished the Lake Superior tour, never had a problem with hills, best vehicle I have owned. ready for our next excursion this winter. Live in Iowa..
sfedder935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 12:18 PM   #9

looking for step by step instructions on winterizing Jayco White Hawk

I have been having the dealership winterize our 2016 Jayco White Hawk 27DSRL travel trailor but sure I can do this my self with some guidance. I have 3 gallons of the pink rv antifreeze, just need some instruction. Thanks in advance. Steve
sfedder935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 08:43 AM   #10

Here's what I do. Worked for me last winter.

WINTERIZING LIST (3 gallons)

1. Drain the fresh water tank and leave the drain open.
2. Open a faucet and run the pump to ensure the fresh water tank is empty.
3. Drain the water heater. Open the pressure relief and leave the drain plug out.
4. Dump the gray water tank and close the valve
5. Dump the black water tank and close the valve. Flush toilet chemical into tank.
6. Open low point drains – open all faucets to help drain. Close everything back.
7. By-pass hot water tank – 3 valves
8. Close suction valve from fresh water to pump.
9. Open valve for clear hose used for pumping anti-freeze
10. Put hose in gallon jug of antifreeze
11. Turn on pump to pressurize system.
12. Run hot & cold faucets in kitchen, bathroom, shower (disconnect shower hose from faucet and leave loose), toilet and outside shower until pink.
13. With all faucets closed keeping water system pressurized, turn off water pump; go to outside of camper to city water fill. Take out screen filter and depress spring to allow antifreeze to flow out of city water inlet. Once antifreeze flows out of inlet let go of spring and reinstall filter.
14. Put cup of pink in kitchen, bathroom and shower drains.
15. Put plenty in toilet and drain to black tank.
16. Put plenty in gray tank.
KYCAMPER is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
27dslr, expedition, full-time, towing, white hawk