Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-05-2010, 09:05 AM   #1

New Jayco Owners

Just wanted to say Hi to everyone and introduce myself. We just picked up a 2011 Jayco Jayfeather Export 17Z last week. We moved up to the hybrid from a popup. My wife and 3 kids and I are taking her out on the maiden voyage this week. I found this forum on Tuesday morning and it has been a great source of info already. Tips like burning off the new smells from the furnace etc. are things that I never would have thought of. I'm looking forward to spending some time here.
RedWingsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 09:14 AM   #2

Welcome to the forum.

We too moved up from a pop-up and looked at the 17Z before opting for a Jay Feather Sport 197. We're at a different stage in our lives as the kids are all grown. I'm sure you'll enjoy the extra conveniences that the hybrid will offer you over your previous camper. The biggest thing we found so far is how much easier it is to pack for a trip. We can get more in the camper and that leaves us more room in the tow vehicle and we no longer have to "set it up" to load it up.

Safe travels and be sure to post some photos when you get a chance.
Beau (Hound mix)
----------------------------
2015 Jay Flight Swift SLX 185RB
2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL
JayRidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 09:32 AM   #3

We already love the loading part...I'm looking forward to the easy setup as well. Packing and setting up the popup got to be such a hassle we found it was easier just to stay home on the weekends. We're figuring now we can add a few more trips per year. Plus the girls are getting to the age where they really wanted to have a bathroom on board. We're heading to the UP of Michigan for the first trip and are very excited.
Old 08-05-2010, 10:00 AM   #4

Hiya Bill and glad you are finally able to post! (Again, welcome to the Jayco Owners Forum!). We know that feeling of moving up from the pop-up. We have wonderful memories traveling the U.S. years ago with our kids in it though. We are traveling as far as Wisconsin this Summer. We plan to make a weekend trip without the tt to Mackinac Island; we are delighted to know that the island is "pet friendly" and Breezi will be welcomed. Although we are members at a campground in Mears, Mi, we will only journey to Northern Michigan on this trip. Looking forward to the pics of your maiden voyage!
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 10:17 AM   #5

We love Mackinac Island. We try to get there every couple of years. The 7 mile bike ride around the island is very scenic and fairly flat. There are lot's of horses on the island so it takes a few minutes to get used to the smell...but after awhile the sweet fudge smell takes over. Enjoy that trip.
Old 08-05-2010, 10:30 AM   #6

Yeah, the one bummer is that we will have Breezi with us, so we won't do the bike ride. But she is allowed on the ferry, carriage tour, and into the Fort.
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 01:04 PM   #7

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new tt. Good luck on your maiden voyage and post up some pics when you can.

Home base... Hondo, Texas

2010 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH
2009 Ford FX4
4 Point Equil-i-zer hitch
https://www.armadillotimes.com
Hondopatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 01:24 PM   #8

Welcome to the forum RedWingsFan and congrats on you new 2011 Jayco Jayfeather Export 17Z. Hope your maiden voyage goes well.
wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 04:36 PM   #9

Congrats Bill & company !! Hope you have a great voyage. Be sure to post some pic, serious or silly. A new RV is always exciting, like a new adventure.
Old 08-05-2010, 06:05 PM   #10

Good luck with the new trailer ,
kipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 10:37 AM   #11

Welcome to the forum redwingsfan. As i do myself you are going to have a blast with your unit.
Old 08-16-2010, 09:04 AM   #12

Maiden Voyage a Success!

Thanks for all the well wishes! We just got back from 7 days in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. We camp on a friends property on Neebish Island. It is in the eastern UP about 1 hour NE of the Mackinaw Bridge. The island is situated in the St. Mary's river which connects Lake Superior and the lower great lakes. We camp on the side of the island that is the upbound freighter lane. There is constant freighter traffic which is really cool because they are only about 3/4 to a mile off of shore when they go by. I was able to catch a freighter in the background when taking the pictures of the camper. Five families go up with 12 kids between us. Weather was perfect, we had a blast. I'll have to figure out how to post pictures.
Old 08-16-2010, 12:23 PM   #13

Pic's from trip

Here are a couple of pic's from the maiden voyage to Neebish Island MI

http://www.jaycoowners.com/showthread.php?t=997

http://www.jaycoowners.com/showthread.php?t=997
Attached Thumbnails
Jayco 17Z.jpg  
Old 08-16-2010, 01:12 PM   #14

Wow looks like a promotional picture for JayCo-- very nice! What is the length limitations for the ferry?

Regards,
JP
2007 20BH Jayco JayFlight
2009 F150 5.4L SCrew Cab XLT
JPBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 01:38 PM   #15

Neebish Ferry

It's a nice place. We're fortunate enough to have the private property to camp on. There is a public campground there with full hookups called the Neebish Island Resort. They're on the web. Neebish is pretty desolate, it is a hunting, fishing, and four wheeling kind of place. As far as the ferry goes they put 18 wheelers for logging on it so length is not an issue. Height is, 120 inches is what I remember being told. I have seen some big 5th wheels go on but sometimes they have to back on to the ferry. We had a 34 foot TT and 28 foot TT in our group and they did not have any trouble, though the 34 was close on the height. Northern Michigan and the Upper Peninsula are far from California but it is a beautiful place to visit if you get the chance.
Old 08-16-2010, 01:52 PM   #16

My in-laws live in Door County Wisconsin so we drag the TT there every summer-- that island you camp at looks like it worth a detour next year.
I want to visit the Dearborn Ford Plant anyways.
Thanks for your time.

Regards,
JP
2007 20BH Jayco JayFlight
2009 F150 5.4L SCrew Cab XLT
JPBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 08:44 PM   #17

Welcome aboard. Hope you enjoy your new 17Z. We have a 2010 17Z we bought in June. Two trips, 11 nights so far and we really enjoy ours.

We have a few issues for the dealer to address, I'll report on them later and rate the dealer as well.

Ed

"Roughing it Cheaply"
Albums:
https://www.jaycoowners.com/album.php?u=3163
Boss Wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 07:36 AM   #18

Thanks Boss Wagon. So far the 17Z has been perfect for us. No issues yet except the plastic drain plug on the hot water tank was cross threaded when they installed it so there was a slow drip from the tank all week. I'll have to contact Jayco to send out a replacement.

JPBeck, hope you make it to Neebish. One of our goals next year is to get to the western Upper near the Wisconsin border. A good friend of mine is a state park ranger at the Porcupine Mountains Wilderness State park near Ontanagon MI, I hear it's beautiful there as well.