Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-08-2014, 10:33 PM   #1

new jayflight 19rd

just purchased new 2014 jay flight 19rd. looking forward to pick it up. anyone that has same model I would be interested in hearing their experience with one. thanks deano
deano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 05:54 AM   #2

I have a different model camper.....but good luck with you new purchase, and welcome!
Threebutchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 05:58 AM   #3

Congratulations on the new TT and welcome!
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 08:51 PM   #4

Congrats! Welcome to the Jayco family site.

Traveling the US full-time
The Happy Campers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 07:16 AM   #5

I have the 198RD which is the same floorplan, just in the Swift version. It's a great trailer - not too big and not too small. It tows beautifully and there is lots of light inside from the large windows. It has a nice cozy feel inside and all the same amenities as the bigger ones.

The main difference between yours and mine is the fresh water tank - yours is 90gal and mine is 48gal. While it is nice to have the extra capacity, you will go through a lot more water (and time) when sanitizing it! I was out for 6 days last summer with the wife and had to dump a couple 5gal containers into my trailer to top up my tank. I also love showering in there, so go figure.

I love the way this trailer is set up because it doesn't push any of its ratings or limitations like some trailers do - lots of extra axle rating, tire rating, brakes, etc. and lots of cargo carrying capacity. The 6'9 ceilings inside make it comfortable for tall guys like me as well. No worries about slides leaking or not functioning properly either - set up is nice and quick.

What are you towing it with? What is the dry weight from the yellow sticker? There are lots of great little mods you can do, all exampled on this site. Good luck with it and enjoy! It's a very towable trailer and is our cottage on wheels!
SkyBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 06:06 PM   #6

Congrats and welcome to JOF!

2003 Coleman Bayside / 2011 Jayco Jayfeather X20E -- RIP
2012 Tacoma Sport DCSB / 2013 Tundra SR5 - RIP
Heady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 08:27 PM   #7

Hello Skybound. Thanks for the reply. I am hauling the 19rd with my 2004 ford F150
I believe the dry is 3785Lbs
Old 03-11-2014, 10:23 PM   #8

Congrats on your new camper !!!
TST 507 flow thru

Livinglife2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 04:11 AM   #9

That 3785lb is the published dry weight, but your actual trailer will weigh considerably more than that (depending on packages/options). Usually in the ballpark of 400lbs more, not including the battery weight. Either way, there is still plenty of cargo capacity. To give you an idea, mine is 4200lbs.

Is your truck the 4.6L or 5.4L? 2WD or 4WD? Gear ratio? The reason I ask is because I pulled mine with a 4.6L 4X4 with 3.55 gears and the 4-speed tranny and I have already bought a new truck after 1 season of that. Even though it is a relatively small and light trailer, it's still full profile and aerodynamic drag is considerable at speed.

The fresh water tank is right above the rear axle, and black above the front, so if you have to haul with water it doesn't affect loading all that much. The furnace and AC are plenty powerful for a unit this size. All in all a really nicely designed trailer and efficient use of space!

I have a good list of mods on my trailer already, but ones I will recommend right off the bat are a MaxxAir vent cover, X-chocks, fridge fans, and a Rhino sewer hose.
Old 03-14-2014, 08:50 PM   #10

thanks Skybound, my is the 4.6 probably the same rearend ratio. It is 4x4. when I brought it home I definently wanted to keep it out of overdrive
Old 03-18-2014, 09:59 AM   #11

Hi Deano

We are also waiting for the arrival of our new 19rd. This is an AMAZING little TT. I especially love the 90 gal fresh water storage (great for boondocking) the windows in that living area (so amazing - so light even on dark cloudy rainy days, LOVE IT!) the 8 cu ft fridge/freezer. We are getting the insulated version with enclosed underbelly.

CAN'T WAIT!!!! to get into it and start using it.
Tracy W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 08:11 PM   #12

Hi Tracy W, We picked our's up last Thursday. We love it for the same reasons. Going to take a short maiden trip this weekend. I am sure I will have some questions! We had a tent trailer 21 years. You might say we upgraded a bit. We also have the enclosed underbelly, not sure about the insulated version? We have the power awning that's real sweet. Congrat's & enjoy. I will let you know how we made out!
Old 03-18-2014, 10:24 PM   #13

Talking

Well you'll be happy to know that if you do have the enclosed underbelly then you DO have the thermal package that's the only way to get the enclosed underbelly on the 19rd's. They put extra foil insulation in the roof with that package (and slides too, but we don't have any slides) and that raises the R values a bit.

I still need to order mine, but that is going to happen VERY soon as we just closed a deal in selling our house and once we figure out our closing date (and our subsequent moving date) I'll know better when we can get to pick up our sweet little trailer.

We also are upgrading from a pop-up, and yes, those 19rd are going to be BLISSFULLY WONDERFUL compared to what we were used to I think we love those living quarters windows because of that view effect we were used to in our pop-ups, I just can't fathom getting a camper without having lots of windows for those views.

I'm envious of you getting to camp already, up here in Wisconsin we still have a good 2 feet of snow in our yard in places.
Tracy W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 11:19 PM   #14

Congrats and welcome.

2013 F150 EXL Screw 5.0 4x4 3:55 locking ( not towing the above trailer with this truck)

Spending my children's inheritances on my toys!
sask934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 09:23 PM   #15

we're in Washington st. as you probly know it's rainy & chilly. our popup doesn't have a heater so we didn't use it this time of year . I think we will get out a bit more through the year with this one. after all these years looking forward to not having to put tent trailer up & down & up&down!!!!!
Old 03-25-2014, 09:08 PM   #16

new jayflight 19rd water leak

We took our new 19rd out for the first time this weekend. Every thing worked and fine until I was draining the holding tanks. We have the outside flush system for the blk. water tank . When I was flushing the tank clean water was running out the bottom of the trailer. I was using a pressure regulator inline with the hose. Anyone else have had this happen? Thanks Deano
Old 04-10-2014, 08:45 AM   #17

I don't mean to hi-jack this thread but thought it was a good location to ask the question about the non-ducted AC for the 198RD.

Skybound, how loud is the AC unit? I have had a couple of TT's that are non-ducted and the units can seem to overtake any conversation or maybe watching TV at the time. One for sure was the Dometic low profile unit that was pretty loud and it seem to freeze up a bit. Any issues with the units freezing up in the 198RD?

Again, didn't mean to take this thread over, just thought it would be a good spot to ask the questions to those now owning one.

thanks
Scott
slogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 04:38 PM   #18

Sorry for the delayed response slogan - We barely use the AC in our trailer. I turn it on when we are hooked up to 30A service now and then just to run it. On high it is loud, yes. On low I find it not too bad. We slept one night with the fan on low and the bit of background noise was actually kind of nice. I don't have much experience with the ducted units to compare to, but I will say that if you are planning on sitting beneath it, with it on high, and trying to have a conversation, it might be a bit distracting. I live up in the great white north though and AC is rarely needed!