Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-18-2011, 08:52 AM   #1

New member, 1007 popup

Greetings fellow campers. We are a family of four in Minnesota, with two boys 7 and 5. We just bought a new 2011 Jayco 1007 popup, had it out for a maiden voyage in Minnesota 2 weekends ago, and loved it. My parents were public school teachers so we had summers off, and I grew up camping; first in tents, later in a small Tradewinds popup whose only amenity was a fold-down table, then when I was a teenager we got a new Starcraft with a few more options. We would go to the state parks (Minnesota has among the best in the nation) on Sunday when most people were leaving, then head home on Friday as the crowds arrived. I had great memories of those trips, so when I got my own family (late in life, I'm an older dad), and after a few years of tent camping, my wife jumped at the idea of a camper.

Our 1007's options include furnace, hot water, power roof vent, bunk-end fan/lights, 3-way fridge, surge brakes and stereo, with outside speakers, even. (The latter option we abhor -- who would inflict a stereo on neighbors in a campground!?! But the discounted 2011's were going fast so we held our noses and took it.) All much fancier than anything I grew up with, but I think I can get used to it.

Someone told me to enjoy road trips with your kids while you can, because when they reach the teenage years they won't want to go with you. We have maybe 6-7 years before our nearly 8-year-old reaches that stage, though at the rate he's going he may be there sooner! So I'm hoping we can get in some road trips out west. It'll be a race not only with the approaching teen years but also my advancing age and diminishing ability to do long bouts of driving. Wish us luck!
Rapidly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 12:57 PM   #2

Welcome to the Forum! You and I are on the same page! When I explained to my wife that our kids had almost lived in the house 1/2 the time they are ever going to and we need to spend more quality time with them - she quickly agreed to get a camper.

2009 JayFlight Manual Library

Want to add a signature to your posts? --> Click Here
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 01:48 PM   #3

Welocme to the Jayco forum from another Minnesotan!
Wishing you many happy memories camping!!
Oh and by the way...............GOOD LUCK!!

Where in Minnesota are you located? We are in Coon Rapids.

Daryl and Sandy
2013 Eagle 314BDS
2014 Ford F150 Platinum, 4 x 4 Crew Cab with Ecoboost
Equal-i-zer Hitch
OurJayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 01:52 PM   #4
Site Team

Welcome to JOF, enjoy your new rig and those Minn. SP`s! Advancing age? That`s getting a lot of us!
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 02:33 PM   #5

Welcome to the forum Rapidly and congrats on your new 2011 Jayco 1007. Kids grow up way too fast so make as many great memories while you can. BTW what's the status with those wonderful State Parks of yours?
wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 08:21 AM   #6

Thanks for the welcome all. Wiscampsin, our wonderful state parks have been shut down since July 1. (And people are sneaking in and vandalizing some of them!) We had reservations at one for next week but even though the legislature and governor have an agreement in principle on a budget, it ain't over yet. So we're going to a national forest campground instead.
Rapidly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 10:12 PM   #7

Aw, we like our outdoor speakers. Of course we don't have them up loud enough to hear them in the next spot over. That's our rule.

Welcome!
2012 Skylark KFV - Gone
2010 Jayco 806 - Gone
Zombied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 07:25 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapidly View Post
Thanks for the welcome all. Wiscampsin, our wonderful state parks have been shut down since July 1. (And people are sneaking in and vandalizing some of them!) We had reservations at one for next week but even though the legislature and governor have an agreement in principle on a budget, it ain't over yet. So we're going to a national forest campground instead.
We had planned our 10 day vacation to go to Mn. had reservations at Lindburg State Park for 4 nights.
Can't get in, can't get our money back either. I better not get charged a "cancellation fee."
We are going to Gull Lake a FED area, should be nice!

2011 Jayco Jayflight 22FB
2004 Ford F-150 5.4 Triton, K&N FIPK, Magna-flow muffler
Big Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 07:27 AM   #9

Welcome Rapidly!! You kids will have fond memories of the camp!! It may not always seem like it but they will when they get older!!

2011 Jayco Jayflight 22FB
2004 Ford F-150 5.4 Triton, K&N FIPK, Magna-flow muffler
Big Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 08:08 AM   #10

Welcome Rapidly from a former Minnesotan. Enjoy the new PUP. We had our for over 9 yrs and have lots of memories and miles behind it. We installed a second battery on ours to be used while boondocking. You will love being up off the ground.

We just got back from a 3 week vacation to Mankato visiting family. We were there during the state shut down. It was sad to see all the state parks being shut down right before the big holiday weekend and all the campers being evicted from the parks. I had 4 family members that it did affect their employment for a period of time. I hope the state of MN gets back on track soon.

Big Jim, I am sorry hear how the shut down affected you. I sure hope they come up with a resolution for all that had reservations. You will enjoy Gull Lake. We were there a few years back for a family reunion. The only down side in MN right now is the state bird (mosquitoes) are in full force so bring on the DEET. We came back with many souvenirs around our ankles and arms. Enjoy the Gull Lake area. Don't forget to see Paul Bunyan and the Babe along the way. Take care.

Mary Anne
2011 Jayco Jay Flight 26RLS-Sold
2014 Jayco Eagle 298 RLDS
maromeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 08:22 AM   #11

Rapidly, Enjoy the times with your children. We have Popped Up all over the US since our daughter was 3 1/2. On our first trip we weren't sure how it would work out because we had to make 5 potty stops before we got out of the state of AZ, LOL. But after that we had traveled over 45,000 miles over the next 9 yrs. I had maps that were age appropriate. It made her to be apart of the travel and look forward to see what it ahead on the road. She is 12 now and looks forward to road trips. On our way back from MN we stopped by the Black Hills to visit Mt. Rushmore so she could see it again. She loved it. There is so much road to be traveled and so much to see.

Don't let the increasing age get you. I had our daughter at the age of 40 so we are not spring chickens but we want to share what I got to see while growing up in MN. My father was a traveling salesman and we planned our summer vacations around his sales conventions. So we got to see the whole US, some by hotels, some by resorts and some by pulling the Stuery popup with 6 kids. We have many more years ahead of us. Take care.
2011 Jayco Jay Flight 26RLS-Sold
2014 Jayco Eagle 298 RLDS
maromeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 04:11 PM   #12

Welcome Rapidly from another Minnesotan. We used to have a Jayco pop-up and now a beautiful 242. We love it. Hope you enjoy the forum.
llerberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 11:53 PM   #13

Welcome to the forum, enjoy your PuP!