Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-05-2016, 08:00 PM   #1

My wife and just purchased a new Jayco Eagle FW 327CKTS this past Saturday and will pick it up next Saturday. We traded in a 2007 Titanium 32e37dds, which has served us very well but was getting a little worn after about 50,000 miles.
We will be running about 1,000 lbs lighter, but I am curious to see if it pulls as easy as the Titanium, which had the very aerodynamic nose.
We bought off the lot and it has a few extras we would probably not have ordered, such as residential frig, a/c in bed room and 2nd awning on the slide.
Would be glad to hear from others with similar unit as to likes and dislikes etc.
Jay
Jay Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 08:15 PM   #2

Congratulations on your new Eagle and welcome to the forum.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 08:36 PM   #3

Congratulations and welcome! We have the 2016 version of your unit and absolutely love it. Our only dislike is the way the bathroom door opens to the steps, but they fixed that for 2017 by making the bathroom door a slider.

The other thing to be aware of, and they may have fixed this for 2017 too, is that the bathroom vanity mirror opens far enough to hit the the top rail of the shower enclosure - don't ask me how I know...
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 09:38 PM   #4

Rob, thanks for the response. Yes, my wife noticed and liked the pocket door and we will look at the mirror clearance. What frig do you have?
Jay
Old 12-06-2016, 06:10 PM   #5
Site Team

CONGRATULATIONS on the JAYCO!!!

...and WELCOME TO JOF!!! The members here are GREAT!!! There is a lot of GREAT information to be found here. I am sure that you will have information and pictures to share with us... so please do!!

Don
What type of camping do your do? Dry-camping? Full service CGs?
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 08:57 PM   #6

We are usually plugged in , but sometimes do a Walmart or sporting event. I was originally dead set against the residential frig, but the camping world manager assured me that the truck would keep the batteries charged as would our Honda 2000 when boon docking. We will have three batteries, which I was told should last 8-10 hours if we are completely unplugged
Jay
Old 12-07-2016, 10:33 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Bird View Post
Rob, thanks for the response. Yes, my wife noticed and liked the pocket door and we will look at the mirror clearance. What frig do you have?
Jay
We have the 12' Gas/Electric fridge. Not positive, but I think the residential fridge and 'sectional' sofa we're mid-year options/changes that were made just after we ordered.
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 08:41 AM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Bird View Post
We are usually plugged in , but sometimes do a Walmart or sporting event. I was originally dead set against the residential frig, but the camping world manager assured me that the truck would keep the batteries charged as would our Honda 2000 when boon docking. We will have three batteries, which I was told should last 8-10 hours if we are completely unplugged
Jay
The residential fridges are energy hogs....

Three batteries (probably 85Ah each for 255Ah) should get you through 8 - 10 hours. You will want to get yourself a digital voltage display so that you can monitor the batteries and unplug the fridge or start your generators should the voltage at the 12.0VDC level. Granted the inverters have a low voltage disconnect, but unfortunately they disconnect at around 10.5 VDC and at that point your batteries are already being abused (shortens your batteries life cycle).

If you happen to forget to turn off that fridge a few times and the inverter shuts down your batteries, the batteries Ah's will be detreating so you may start out with 255Ah on new batteries and after they have been subjected to dropping below 12.0VDC the available Ah's may be 220Ah..... My 4 year old Interstate 85A batteries now max out at 40Ah (old age, just like me), and they never dropped below 12.0VDC. They still hold a good charge but the amount of power over time is 1/2 of what they were when they were new.

What I am saying is that the fridge will not last the 8-10 hours for very long if the batteries are allowed to drop below the 12.0VDC level, and replacing batteries can be an expensive annual routine. A few of the members have added SOLAR to help their residential fridge power demands, but they still have issues keeping up with the fridges power demands.

Not sure what your TT has for monitoring your voltage, the usual led displays are useless so here are a few types of Digital Voltage Displays that you can pick up on Amazon.

Keep us updated.

Happy Camping

Don
Attached Thumbnails
ELECTRONICS - 12VDC Voltage Display.jpg   BATTERY - Current-Voltage Digital Display.jpg  
Old 12-08-2016, 08:48 AM   #9

Congrats on your new Jayco!!

You guys will love the new residential refrigerator. That was one of the main selling features we both really liked.

Good Luck
jasum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 07:49 PM   #10

Don, thanks for the great info. We pick our unit up tomorrow and can begin to get to know it better. I will definitely get a voltage monitor if it doesn't have one.
Jay
Old 12-11-2016, 07:27 AM   #11
Site Team

Jay,

If you are looking to get the most power out of your 3 batteries for your fridge you need to look at how the dealer hooks up your 3 batteries. The most common way that dealers hook up batteries (more than one) is to connect them in parallel and connect the load cables to the battery that is closest to the existing TT cables. it is the most inexpensive and easiest way. They will tell you that there is no benefit to any other methods (the attached link will prove them wrong). The issue with wiring them this way is that the battery that has the load cable on it gets most of the Amp draw and the others need to slowly push their power into the first battery. Same logic holds true for charging. In other words the first battery is doing most of the heavy duty work.

You have 2 additional choices of hooking up your 3 batteries. The 2nd choice (much better that the above method) is to hook the 3 batteries in parallel, and connect the TT's Positive cable to the positive terminal of battery #1 and the Negative cable to battery #3. This makes the current draw/charge go through all 3 batteries, but of course it is not the BEST method. This method is the best for hooking up (2) 12 Volt batteries.

The last and BEST method for hooking up your 3 batteries (or more) is to take short battery cables of equal length from each battery terminal (3 positive cables and 3 negative cables), connect the 3 Positive cables to the Positive TT's Positive cable, then connect the 3 Negative battery cables to the TT's Negative cable that is connected to the TT's frame. This charges and drains each battery almost equally.

So now that you are totally confused here is a link to some diagrams an the TEST results of using these methods over the common way of hooking up your batteries.

Enjoy!!!

Don

SmartGauge Electronics - Interconnecting multiple batteries to form one larger bank

Also, here is a link to our RVing with SOLAR social group here on the forum. There is a lot of SOLAR and BATTERY information here.

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/gr...ith+solar.html
Old 12-11-2016, 09:03 AM   #12

Just my opinion but I would only consider a residential refrigerator IF I knew that 100% of my trips would be with electric hook ups. And the ONLY other time the refrigerator would be operated is while in tow. They are simply too much of a energy hog to expect batteries to support it anything beyond being stopped for lunch while on the road.

EDUCATION is what you get when you read the fine print.....
EXPERIENCE is what you get when you don't.
tnchuck100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 09:36 AM   #13

Thanks for the advice. After living in our unit for a month now we are very happy to have gone with the residential frig. We have only had two issues with it. One it was not leveled and I had to unscrew the top bracket and level it. I thought this was causing the other problem, which was if you let go of the refrigerator side door, it would slam into the glass pantry door. But even when it is plumb, the handle on the door will hit the glass on the pantry door if you open it a little past 90 degrees open. We have a piece of foam noodle on the handle now so we don't break the glass door, until i devise a stop for the refrigerator door.
Jay
Old 01-08-2017, 09:43 AM   #14

thanks for the great info on the battery hook-up. I will be using the info to redo the hook-up when I add the fourth battery that Camping World left loose in the unit, when I picked it up. We have only been on battery power for about four hours so far and the three batteries have preformed well, so I am confident that four will meet all our needs.