Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-11-2013, 08:15 AM   #1

new member and new 5th wheel owner shortly

Well, we've committed to the RV lifestyle, by ordering a Ram 3500 diesel Dually which should be built this week. Now we are looking at 5th wheels. Jayco stands out among the manufacturers we've seen or heard about. You don't see many post that say to stay away from them, like you will see for a few other ones.

Our biggest issues right now with making a choice is not being about to see in person a Jayco front living model like the 371FLFS Eagle Premier. They are rare and our local dealer doesn't buy them without having a firm order on the books. It seems even the Jayco salesman keeps talking him out of stocking the front living models. Not sure why. For us, it seems to be the best layout. We are comparing the 361REQS Eagle Premier as well and there are several of those around to study.

We are going to drive up from North Carolina to the Jayco factory next week to take the touring and maybe see a 371FLFS either there or at a dealer on the way.

I would appreciate any ideas on this subject.
jfabernathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 10:08 AM   #2

We took delivery of our 361REQS in September. So far we are very satisfied with our decision. We ordered the regular fireplace instead of the ledgestone fireplace as we much prefer the window across the back. One of our objections to the front living models is that you cannot get to the bedroom without going through the bathroom, an issue if the bathroom is occupied. We also think the kitchen usability (layout and counter space) is better in the 361REQS. These are just our preferences and not meant to critical to the front living models.
Old 11-11-2013, 10:31 AM   #3

Your thought about getting to the bedroom without going through the bathroom is one I had not considered and certainly is a new one for me to think about. My wife's concerns about the 36REQS was the closeness of the bedroom with the King bed and the low ceiling. It didn't bother me, but putting a sweatshirt on while standing would be a challenge. We are both tall and more overweight than we should be. The 371FLFS has 2 slide outs in the bedroom and tall ceilings, but the same closeness around the king bed.

While we like the kitchen in the REQS, the table and chairs are a little low and tight for us to fit in. The extra leaf mechanism under the table hits our thighs badly. I'd love to see that table raised and the ability to move it around while camping.

I like the window in the back of the REQS. Can you still tilt the TV from side to side like you can with the Ledgestone fireplace TV?

The models of the 361REQS we looked at had a lot more basement storage than what you see in the pictures of the 371FLFS. Also there seems to be some bracket to mount an outside TV or something in the storage area. Do you know what it's for?
Old 11-11-2013, 05:24 PM   #4

What model year did you see in the 361REQS? The ceiling is higher in the 2014 due to the arched roof. I am about 6'3". I could not stand straight at the bedroom closet in the 2013 but just can in the 2014. We are not small people but we do find the bedroom adequate with the king bed.

I agree the table is low. We just barely manage with it. I have wondered about adding blocking either between the pedestal and the top or under the legs but I haven't looked at it to see if it is feasible. If the table is movable you would need some way to secure it for travel.

The TV does not tilt from side to side.

Yes, this model has more basement storage than the front living room model I saw. It was a Pinnacle. The bracket in the storage area is a TV mount. The bedroom TV is on an easy release bracket so that you can easily use it on the mount in the storage area. Power and antenna outlets are also available in the storage area.
Old 11-11-2013, 07:45 PM   #5

We did see a brand new 2014. Just arrived at the dealer the day we were there. I agree that our heads don't come close to the ceiling, but my wife is still having issues with the size of the bedroom. At home she has a chair in the bedroom where she spends her TV watching time instead of the living room. She is going to have to get over that to exist in a fifth wheel.

Good news about the bedroom TV moving to the outside for tailgating!
Old 11-11-2013, 08:27 PM   #6

Welcome to the JOF jfabernathy! We are in the 'dream stages' of a tv/rv upgrade at some point in our distant future. We walked through a 371FLFS Eagle Premier last Spring but scratched that off the list when we saw that we had to walk through the bathroom to get to 'our' bedroom'.... often times we camp with grandkids. Actually, DH really wants to be able to walk through a bath area when someone isn't in there using it; ok me too LOL

Let us know what ya wind up doing!
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 08:53 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfabernathy View Post
Well, we've committed to the RV lifestyle, by ordering a Ram 3500 diesel Dually which should be built this week. Now we are looking at 5th wheels. Jayco stands out among the manufacturers we've seen or heard about. You don't see many post that say to stay away from them, like you will see for a few other ones.

Our biggest issues right now with making a choice is not being about to see in person a Jayco front living model like the 371FLFS Eagle Premier. They are rare and our local dealer doesn't buy them without having a firm order on the books. It seems even the Jayco salesman keeps talking him out of stocking the front living models. Not sure why. For us, it seems to be the best layout. We are comparing the 361REQS Eagle Premier as well and there are several of those around to study.

We are going to drive up from North Carolina to the Jayco factory next week to take the touring and maybe see a 371FLFS either there or at a dealer on the way.

I would appreciate any ideas on this subject.
Pretty much agree.

Most places we go the 'view' is out the back when in a back in site...therefore we chose a rear living room with huge window to enjoy the 'view'....when we are inside.

We looked at front livings rooms and the initial was, wow is this cool!! However...no view and the back bedroom walking thru the bath just did not make sense...to us.

2012 Pinnacle 36KPTS - Kitchen Pantry Triple Slide
Mor/Ryde suspension and pin box, Dual pane windows, Auto Leveling System, 2 A/C's, Sailun G's and more...
View photos

Our Trip Journal
Larry G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 02:00 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfabernathy View Post
Jayco stands out among the manufacturers we've seen or heard about. You don't see many post that say to stay away from them, like you will see for a few other ones.
We think Jayco builds a good quality product and provides a soild warranty and support after the sale.
Rob_Fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 06:10 AM   #9

Thanks, folks. You've all given us things to think about. I've been checking on the campers you've listed in your signatures and that gives us even more food for thought.

Can't wait until I can add a picture of mine to my signature.
Old 11-12-2013, 07:34 PM   #10
Site Team

Welcome to the user friendly Jayco Owners forum! Our members just love to answer questions or help out other members when possible and have fun sharing their experiences . They also love pictures of your RV, tow vehicles, and campsites!! So do not hesitate to post pics of your Jayco in the "Pics of your Jayco forum" and pics of your tow vehicle in the "Tow Vehicle forum".

Feel free to participate in our many fun polls (JOF POLL CENTRAL located in the General Jayco chat forum). Post often, have fun with the forum, and enjoy your Jayco!
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote