Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-07-2014, 02:30 PM   #1

New member Buying new Jayco soon

I'm looking to buying a new Eagle Premier 338RETS soon. I love the floor plan. I had a few questions. How's the fit and finish. This will be my first TT, and I plan on living in it for one year until I know where I'm going to put down roots. What's a good price point I see units advertised at ($39,000-$50,000). I would like to custom order one if that's possible to get the options I want and don't want. For instance, I won't be pulling it a lot, so manual jacks are fine, fewer things to go wrong down the line. Any suggestion for similar options like that I might not need. I thought about ordering a island on wheels Jayco makes one for their Cottage DLX TT that might work as extra counter space, what do you think? Link to video of rolling island Fast forward to 4:55mins in video While sitting on the couch how is the viewing angle of the tv, because I was think about two hideabed couches for extra sleeping capacity since ultimately this will be used for a vacation unit once I buy a home. What might be some pitfalls I'll encounter, I.E. custom ordering, time frame of delivery, full-time living for a year, that you might see me having to deal with. Sorry to ask for so much information, but I need someone who is familiar with the 338RETS.
RVnurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 02:53 PM   #2
Lost in the Woods

Just be mindful that the warranty only covers "recreational towing and camping" not full time living. I would keep your intentions on the down low
nbhybrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 03:28 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVnurse View Post
I'm looking to buying a new Eagle Premier 338RETS soon. I love the floor plan. I had a few questions. How's the fit and finish. This will be my first TT, and I plan on living in it for one year until I know where I'm going to put down roots. What's a good price point I see units advertised at ($39,000-$50,000). I would like to custom order one if that's possible to get the options I want and don't want. For instance, I won't be pulling it a lot, so manual jacks are fine, fewer things to go wrong down the line. Any suggestion for similar options like that I might not need. I thought about ordering a island on wheels Jayco makes one for their Cottage DLX TT that might work as extra counter space, what do you think? Link to video of rolling island Fast forward to 4:55mins in video While sitting on the couch how is the viewing angle of the tv, because I was think about two hideabed couches for extra sleeping capacity since ultimately this will be used for a vacation unit once I buy a home. What might be some pitfalls I'll encounter, I.E. custom ordering, time frame of delivery, full-time living for a year, that you might see me having to deal with. Sorry to ask for so much information, but I need someone who is familiar with the 338RETS.
I have the very similar floor plan and bought an island for mine from Walmart...you will like the additional and needed Counter space.

I have the two couches as well at the viewing angle from them is fine....it is just me and my wife so she sits on one and I the other. Lots of space and a great view of the TV.

I would not order the island if the cost is over $300 as you can buy one your self. Mine has a place for garbage and that comes in very handy as there is no real place for garbage.

2013 F150 EXL Screw 5.0 4x4 3:55 locking ( not towing the above trailer with this truck)

Spending my children's inheritances on my toys!
sask934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 04:04 PM   #4
Lost in the Woods

DW and I have a 2014 338 rlts which is the 338 rets with a bunch of standard options. The 338 rlts isn't offered in 2015 just the rets. The unit we bought had every option except the bumper mount grill. The unit is beautiful inside. There are a few very minor fit/finish issues which I have found on every RV I have ever looked out. But all in all it is very good. Go with the 50 amp service option for sure even if you don't want the second bedroom A/C. My unit came with the Lazy Boy recliners standard which I really like and would recommend. We don't leave them on the side as there is more than enough room with the opposing slides to put them in the center directly facing the television. We have the king bed but would suggest going with the queen as there is more room on the sides of the bed to climb in and out and have access to the front clothes closets. We have the Ledgestone fireplace and the TV is mounted kind of high for viewing. It is on a wall bracket that will release to rotate left and right but no downward tilt. I put some washers between the tv and bracket and angled it downward somewhat for better viewing and will probably put in a tilting bracket one of these days. We replaced the crummy 40" tv it came with with a Sony Bravia. We also installed an inverter with dual batteries and a Powertwin II leveling/stabilizer right in front of the tandems so now I can level and stabilize the unit with a button push and have six points of contact with the ground not counting the power tongue jack. I also installed 4 BAL lock arm stabilizers on the front electric stabilizers. The list price was right at $50k fully loaded. I think we paid about $36k with a 7 year platinum warranty but I'm not exactly sure as we traded in a Springdale and I don't remember all the exact numbers. The dealer had it marked down to $40k to begin with. As far as ordering it I have heard several disappointing stories on this forum where people order what they want and don't get it. It seems the dealers get what they get and try and sell you a unit that doesn't match what you ordered. I think I would try and find one at a dealer that has a unit that is similar to what you want and go for it. Besides, if you order it it could take months to get it and it may not come exactly like you ordered it and you will either have to accept it as is or order it again and repeat the whole process.
Attached Thumbnails
20140910_095318.jpg  
wwsmith111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 05:14 PM   #5

One good thing about ordering is that the front cap color has recently changed to cream color due to the brown front caps fading within a year or two which has been documented here. We have a different floor plan on order and the factory told us the current units being built have the lighter color. If you search RV Trader you can find a couple of pictures out there. Most of the stock 2015 units at the dealers are still brown.

I would recommend getting a quote from RV Direct. We got very good deal at about 35% off sticker. I will have a 600 mile drive to go pick it up but it is worth it for $10 - $15K savings.
charlank is offline   Reply With Quote