Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-20-2011, 06:42 AM   #11
Thumbs up

signing the papers today, truck goes in for hitch and electrical installment next week. The excitment builds

steelcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 12:39 PM   #12
Congrats on the new trailer. We had been pulling ours with a Toyota Sienna (minivan). was rated for 3,500# as well and it pulled fine. Granted I knew it was back there and it used it's power to pull up hills, but it handled it well.

Myself, DW and 3 boys.
Former 2011 Jayco 17Z owner
-Currently no mods
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4 5.7l V8
DTJ9610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 08:30 PM   #13
Congrats and have good memories with it. Ernie
2011 jayco 33rlds, 2002 Ford excursion, v-10, 3:73 gears 4x4 mine. 2008 Suzuki sx-4, hers. Retired Air Force, now Retired.
Parcany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 08:35 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus
Originally Posted by 19H F250 View Post
snip........ Just as it sits I think you marginal at best. Larry

I have to agree with Larry on this one, so be careful how you load your TV/HTT because IMO you can "exceed" your TV weight limits rather easily under loaded conditions. Doesn't mean your TV can't pull it, just it may compromise the reliability of the TV's drivetrain.

Just for point of reference, your Escape's 3,500lb Tow Rating is based on the curb weight of it's base model which only includes a 150lb driver and a full tank of gas. The total weight of passengers, cargo, and TV options gets subtracted from the 3,500 Tow Rating. IMO your TV will be at it's actual maximum tow rating before you even load anything into the HTT.

Jayco X17Z
UVW 2,995lbs
Ship Weight ?????lbs
GVW 3,500lbs

Also, watch how your RV dealer tech adjusts your WDH, because it will be adjusted for your TV/HTT "unloaded" weight (if adjusted correctly). You will have to re-adjust your WDH once you load your TV/HTT ready for camping..... makes a big difference on handling.

Tow safe.

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS
Reese HP Dual Cam
Putnam Class V
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 08:59 AM   #15
right on, thanks for the advice everyone there are only 2 of us right now and a lil 20lb dog. we don't plan on loading anything that is unecessary..groceries and other things can wait until we arrive at the campsite or nearby city to be picked up. Most of the things for the trailer will be plastic (plates, cups and a small garbage can for the bathroom). the linens will remain with the beds. We don't plan on doing much towing this year. Maybe 300 km's max in one direction. Next year we'll be better prepared. I am aware of travelling lite so i'll be keeping that in mind I guess once I haul it i'll have a better idea what can and can't be done.

Take care everyone, have a safe and fun summer i'll keep ya's posted on my first few hauls

Moncton, NB
steelcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 04:25 AM   #16
Congrats and welcome from your neighbour to the west(Fredericton). I think you'll be able to tow it okay. but it's going to be slow. You may want to look into a larger than stock tranny cooler. the factory one is probably too small as it meant to cool the transmission during normal use. Towing close to your max limit is not normal use. May want to check owner's manual on towing, as I think you'll need to keep it out of overdrive when towing.

TT 2014 Jayco Jayflight 28 BHBE
TV 2012 Nissan Titan Pro 4X
BlueBrick is offline   Reply With Quote