Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-15-2014, 12:01 PM   #1

Cool New Precept 31 UL owners, KC MO

Hey and Howdy. We pick up our Precept tomorrow 7/16 and look forward to becoming acquainted. Out of the 5er and into the class A. See ya out and about.
Darrell and Mary
D&MAKAFUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 03:58 PM   #2

Congratulations on the new "A" and welcome!
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 07:28 PM   #3

We are a few weeks away from picking up ours. Good luck and please update us on how the PDI and first few days go for you. Congratulations!
McGarrett50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 08:08 PM   #4

Congrats on the new right and welcome to the JOF!
Old 07-21-2014, 01:38 PM   #5

Thank you. All went well. 740 miles round trip.....both directions with tail wind 75% of the time.....wow what a start. All systems functioned properly. Tankless hot water has 2 new believers. Watched the video on operations and followed the instructions from our walk through. We found ourselves turning the hot water tap on often just to see if it was working.......hahaahahaha.
This is our first (probably last) motorhome and we really love it. We'll spend the next couple of weeks reading and really becoming familiar with "Bertha"........not my choice..lol.
If there is a complaint it is the sway from wind and vehicles passing. I will move the stabilizer bar to the back spot (of 2) and see if that modifies the movement. The wind movement was/is not unexpected...........riding in a box at 60 MPH. I just think I can firm things up from what I have read from other posts.
Don't pinch us.........we don't want to wake up from this beautiful dream.
Old 07-29-2014, 06:29 AM   #6

Precept is launching 2 new floor plans so my decision just got harder. Anybody else see them? 35UN and 35UP.
Click image for larger version

Name:	JYC_15_mot_PRECEPT_brochure_8-LlR.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	214.9 KB
ID:	14478

JoeMazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 08:29 AM   #7

Cool

Joemazz, I can see Jayco is becoming serious about the market. That's great to see.
We are addressing our concern about the steering wandering. Warranty paid for an alignment check yesterday. Dealer (Trailside RV) has been very helpful. Everything was as it is supposed to be. The excessive wandering is still there. Dealer recommended I contact Jayco directly.
Some would immediately jump in and say the wandering is expected: large flat sided vehicle, etc. I have over 2 1/2 million miles over the road in everything from a tanker to 2 & 3 trailers behind a semi. I know where the excess is or isn't. This is excessive enough my wife will wait to take the wheel.
I saw one thread on irv2 forums recommending the safeTplus steering stabilizer. My investigation continues and I will follow up.
Have a great day,
Darrell
Old 07-29-2014, 08:31 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by D&MAKAFUN View Post
Joemazz, I can see Jayco is becoming serious about the market. That's great to see.
We are addressing our concern about the steering wandering. Warranty paid for an alignment check yesterday. Dealer (Trailside RV) has been very helpful. Everything was as it is supposed to be. The excessive wandering is still there. Dealer recommended I contact Jayco directly.
Some would immediately jump in and say the wandering is expected: large flat sided vehicle, etc. I have over 2 1/2 million miles over the road in everything from a tanker to 2 & 3 trailers behind a semi. I know where the excess is or isn't. This is excessive enough my wife will wait to take the wheel.
I saw one thread on irv2 forums recommending the safeTplus steering stabilizer. My investigation continues and I will follow up.
Have a great day,
Darrell
Please keep up informed as to what you find out.
I can only image the issue getting worse going to 36ft.

Old 07-29-2014, 09:04 AM   #9

I'm headed up to our dealer for a final look at the Precept 31UL on Thursday. I'll ask them if they have any of the new 35s in stock.

We are ready to take the plunge.

Our only concerns right now are the unknown, which is normal. Interestingly, it's be very difficult to find much feedback on the Precept. I suppose that's good as if there were a LOT of problems, there would be posts all over this forum, IRV2 and RV.net.

It also seems that the 2015 inventory is somewhat limited. As I search around the Internet for inventory, most dealers seem to only have a a few units in stock. Lately they seem to be marked as sold. Also a good sign.

Any other Precept owners or "future owners" found a good source to get actual owner feedback on their Precepts?

Thank you.
Old 07-29-2014, 09:11 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGarrett50 View Post
I'm headed up to our dealer for a final look at the Precept 31UL on Thursday. I'll ask them if they have any of the new 35s in stock.

We are ready to take the plunge.

Our only concerns right now are the unknown, which is normal. Interestingly, it's be very difficult to find much feedback on the Precept. I suppose that's good as if there were a LOT of problems, there would be posts all over this forum, IRV2 and RV.net.

It also seems that the 2015 inventory is somewhat limited. As I search around the Internet for inventory, most dealers seem to only have a a few units in stock. Lately they seem to be marked as sold. Also a good sign.

Any other Precept owners or "future owners" found a good source to get actual owner feedback on their Precepts?

Thank you.
I too have had a hard time, but I believe your correct in as much as no news is good news (or at least I hope).
I think 2015 inventory is low in anticipation of the 2 new floor plans thinning the heard.
Also, new floor plans are due to start rollout late Sept early Oct. 35UN first followed by 35UP...per Jayco.

Old 07-29-2014, 09:24 AM   #11

We rented a Thor Windsport 32 foot Class A earlier this month to "try out" the experience. Knowing that this is just "similar" in floor plan and size to the 31UL, we found it to be a very enjoyable experience.

If the quality and amenities in the Precept are as advertised, we think this is a much better unit (at least for us) than the Windsport. While at the RV Resort, I talked to someone who had a new 2015 Class C Melbourne.

Here's some feedback he gave me specific to similar features between the Precept and the Melbourne:

1. Loves the windows and ability to leave open without rain risk. Says he gets plenty of air.
2. Overall workmanship was good but below his expectations. He said quite a number of screws were over torqued. He's replaced them relatively easily.
3. The tankless hot water heater is fabulous. Works as advertised.
4. Lack of no spare tire is a concern for him (although I understand about 95% of MHs don't come with spares), so he bought a replacement tire and carries in the trunk of his tow car.
5. Even is the smaller Class C, he's getting about 8 MPGs with the tow
6. The ride is nice (JRide) compared to previous Cs he's owned.

Overall, he was very positive about his Jayco.
Old 07-29-2014, 09:44 AM   #12

I guess I should add that we were very happy with the 31 UL. It is just the 2 of us with an elderly golden. Our maiden trip was 740 miles over a weekend....driving 2, wedding and relatives on 1. We lost the new buyers jitters easily and became very comfortable. Water heater worked like it was supposed to and love the 12 cf 4 door fridge. We didn't use the generator going down the road, but fired it up when ever we stopped so Tess could be comfortable while we were away. Stabilizer system is seamless. Wow the conveniences are nice. Reading the literature that comes with the unit makes things a lot easier. So much to digest.
Looking at improvements: sun visors that actually diminish the amount of sun through the windshield in the right places and windshield covers and cockpit fans for air circulation and defrost.....should be an option with a windshield this size.
Yes, we are happy.
I found ours purely by error at our local dealer when I walked in to look at another brand. They had just delivered a 31 UL 2 weeks prior so it does not seem like the market is flooded. lol
I'll keep in touch,
Darrell
Old 07-29-2014, 09:48 AM   #13

Quote:
I guess I should add that we were very happy with the 31 UL. It is just the 2 of us with an elderly golden. Our maiden trip was 740 miles over a weekend....driving 2, wedding and relatives on 1. We lost the new buyers jitters easily and became very comfortable. Water heater worked like it was supposed to and love the 12 cf 4 door fridge. We didn't use the generator going down the road, but fired it up when ever we stopped so Tess could be comfortable while we were away. Stabilizer system is seamless. Wow the conveniences are nice. Reading the literature that comes with the unit makes things a lot easier. So much to digest.
Looking at improvements: sun visors that actually diminish the amount of sun through the windshield in the right places and windshield covers and cockpit fans for air circulation and defrost.....should be an option with a windshield this size.
Yes, we are happy.
I found ours purely by error at our local dealer when I walked in to look at another brand. They had just delivered a 31 UL 2 weeks prior so it does not seem like the market is flooded. lol
I'll keep in touch,
Darrell
Thanks Darrell, keep us posted.
I wondered about the cardboard visors as well. So many great options on the unit without nickel and diming you on stuff was nice, but the visors on the windshield are definitely an oversight.

Old 07-29-2014, 09:56 AM   #14

Quote:
Yes, we are happy.
I'll keep in touch,
Darrell
Thanks Darrell. It will be the 2 of us also and one 11 year old GOLDEN and a 5 year old GOLDEN. We are concerned a bit with the narrow space behind the cockpit when the slides are in. Tighter than the Windsport. I suppose that may be a deterrent to keep the dogs from moving up and back while the rig is moving.

We also thought that lowering the dinette table when moving might be a nice "nest" for the older dog to stay put.

Appreciate the feedback!
Old 07-29-2014, 10:07 AM   #15

Actually Joe, the visors are Plexiglas and the cardboard looking sticky sheets peel off upon delivery---we had a good laugh over the cardboard visors too. The Precept is advertised to have the same windshield as the Insignia pusher. I will see what kind of system they have.......probably an electric blind system.
The education continues.
Darrell
Old 07-29-2014, 10:15 AM   #16

McGarrett50...the close quarters was a concern for us. Tess can't walk in that narrow isle. Each time we took her out while enroute, we would bump out a slide enough for her to walk through. I put together a step well cover that we put down anytime we were parked. Kept her from falling down the stairs. Just 3/4 plywood covered with indoor/outdoor carpet....underside I used 1/2 X 2s for a border to keep it in place. Worked great and she was standing on it once when we returned. She can't do steps and we have used a dog ramp for several years. Love the pass thru compartments.
Old 07-30-2014, 06:08 AM   #17

Quote:
Actually Joe, the visors are Plexiglas and the cardboard looking sticky sheets peel off upon delivery---we had a good laugh over the cardboard visors too. The Precept is advertised to have the same windshield as the Insignia pusher. I will see what kind of system they have.......probably an electric blind system.
The education continues.
Darrell
The 35UN has auto blinds on the windshield and manual on the Driver and passenger sides. Don't know if they added these to the 32ft models, but the 36ft models are going to have them.

Old 07-31-2014, 05:58 PM   #18

We took the plunge today and signed for our Precept. Looking forward to getting started!
Old 07-31-2014, 07:27 PM   #19

Wahoooooooo. Congratulations. Now you are in for a treat. When do you pick it up? When do you take your first excursion? When you do your walk through, ask lots of questions, take lots of notes so you can fill us in. lol
Happy trails,
Darrell
Old 07-31-2014, 08:11 PM   #20

Two weeks. They said since we are new RVers that their 2 hour walkthrough may take 3-4 and it will go as long as need be. We plan to shoot video so we have a permanent record of the instructions to refer back to. Have read to do this and the salesman suggested the same.

Probably a shakedown trip to the Keys and then headed to North Carolina

Thanks! Let's continue to compare notes.