Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-01-2015, 01:07 PM   #1

New to camping and need help!

Hello, my wife and I are looking at campers. We have kind of narrowed it down to 2. We are looking at either the X17A or the 19RD. We like them both for different reasons. The questions we have are; for the X17A the wall around the bathtub is it waterproof? We are afraid of getting this one and that its not waterproof. Then it will cause water damage. (don't want that)
For the 19RD is there enough room for us and our 3 year old daughter? We don't want to buy this one and grow out of it within the next year. We are not sure if the fold out couch will be big enough for her to sleep on, for the next few years.
We are also worried about the hot water heater. Is a 6 gallon water heater enough?
We are new to the camping world and would love any help we could get. Thanks you and have a blessed day.
harpersays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 01:14 PM   #2

Welcome to the forum.

Sorry, I can't help with your decision. However, there are probably folks on this site with some information that may help.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 01:21 PM   #3

Well as far as growing out of it if you are like most of us the campers tend to grow in size and accommodations as we age and different needs as the kids grow up ... I say get what you feel comfortable with and enjoy the memories made with family ... The six gallons is usually fairly quick recovery but you can't take a shower like at home... Best to get wet ,shut it off suds up , rinse ,shut it off ,wash hair , rinse and your done and should have plenty . I will say my wife learned that the hard way the first time and scared me when I heard a freezing water scream after a few minutes lol
Old 03-01-2015, 01:26 PM   #4

Thank you for your help Paintinfool3! We are excited to start making memories!
Old 03-01-2015, 01:42 PM   #5

Hello and welcome.
SecretCoveDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 01:44 PM   #6

Oh and refreshing to see have a blessed day you too , we are relaxing after church and having a blessed day here in the cold with a touch of snow
Old 03-01-2015, 02:20 PM   #7
Site Team

Most campers come with the 6 gallon water heater. If you were interested in an upgrade to a 10 gal., it would not hurt to ask. You will learn quickly how to conserve HW to make it work.
I can't imagine someone selling a shower that had no provisions for being waterproof. Maybe someone that has one will chime in.
I think you will be able to make decisions on the sofa/bed size when you see it in person.

Welcome to the forum!
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 02:20 PM   #8

Paintinfool, thanks! We are also relaxing after church in the cold (most likely not as cold as you have it in Fort Wayne) with a little snow on the ground. But at least you are closer to what I consider Gods County then I am. (University of Notre Dame) Go Irish!
Old 03-01-2015, 02:43 PM   #9

Welcome!
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 08:22 PM   #10

Welcome to the forum
fielro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 08:35 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpersays View Post
...snip...
We are also worried about the hot water heater. Is a 6 gallon water heater enough?...snip....
Like Paintinfool3 said, you'll need to turn the water on and off several times. Letting the hot water run like most of us do at home, you'll run out of hot water quickly.

One other trick if you are connected to shore power, you can use the water heater on both propane and electric at the same time. Your water heater doesn't get any bigger it will just heat up the water faster.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 09:12 PM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Hello, my wife and I are looking at campers. We have kind of narrowed it down to 2. We are looking at either the X17A or the 19RD. We like them both for different reasons. The questions we have are; for the X17A the wall around the bathtub is it waterproof? We are afraid of getting this one and that its not waterproof. Then it will cause water damage. (don't want that)
For the 19RD is there enough room for us and our 3 year old daughter? We don't want to buy this one and grow out of it within the next year. We are not sure if the fold out couch will be big enough for her to sleep on, for the next few years.
We are also worried about the hot water heater. Is a 6 gallon water heater enough?
We are new to the camping world and would love any help we could get. Thanks you and have a blessed day.
Why not consider the 19H?
2015 Jay Feather Ultra Lite X19H | Jayco, Inc.

2007 Jayco Feather 19H
2008 Ford Explorer SportTrac
Snake Plissken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 03:17 PM   #13

The 19H looks like a great floor plan, similar to the 17A. I think we've decided we definitely need a tub/shower combo for our 3 year old. We hope to buy this weekend and are strongly leaning toward the 19RD. Thanks to everyone for their advice, suggestions and warm welcome! This forum has been a blessing and we're excited to be part of the Jayco/camping world!!
Old 03-03-2015, 03:35 PM   #14

Quote:
The 19H looks like a great floor plan, similar to the 17A. I think we've decided we definitely need a tub/shower combo for our 3 year old. We hope to buy this weekend and are strongly leaning toward the 19RD. Thanks to everyone for their advice, suggestions and warm welcome! This forum has been a blessing and we're excited to be part of the Jayco/camping world!!
Welcome. Having done this with both a shower and tub from babies to now. My wife prefers the shower since we usually are just rinsing of the kids and the tubs are raised much closer to the ceilings which make it harder for the adults to get clean! The hard shower doors also keep the "leaks" down. Curtains always had a way of leaking when we had them.

Just my 2 cents.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 04:17 PM   #15

Regarding the amount of room, that's a personal decision. It depends on what you want out of the trailer, and how much time you may spend in it. We were fine with our old Kiwi 17a for 10 years, even when our adult daughter went camping with us, which was fairly often.

As far as waterproofed shower walls, we've never had problems with the lack of a shower surround.

X2 on taking "navy showers". They work fine. While we never minded using public showers, it's certainly a nice thing to stay inside on a chilly fall morning!
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 08:45 PM   #16

I was going to chime in about the X19H but someone beat me to the punch. That extra two feet makes a difference in the floor plan. My wife and I camp with 4 kids ranging from 16 to 5 in our X19H. Sure a bigger camper would be great, but most of our time (hopefully) will be spent outside the camper. When we are all in, it's not as cramped as you would think. Like others said, go try it out.

Someone suggested to me to rent a few times to see what you like. We kinda dove in feet first, all in...

You won't regret it no matter what you get, the kids will remember the places you went and things you did more than the camper model you bought. They don't tend to worry about some of the things we worry about, kids are adaptable that way!

My only regret was waiting this long to buy one!

God bless you too!
AirLift 1000 Suspension
MrScary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 09:39 PM   #17

Welcome to the family !!!! We went big with a bunk house for our girls, they have there own room to play in and the toys stay out of the living room. The problem we had with our old camper was the kids slept on the pull out sofa in the living room so if the kids needed a afternoon nap we were stuck in the small bedroom to not wake them. So with little kids I would look at a floor plan than has some type of bunk house for them sleep and take naps so you can still use the rest of the camper for your Enjoyment. If it's hot outside your going to be inside in the AC with little kids and want all the extra room you can get.
TST 507 flow thru

Livinglife2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
19rd, x17a