Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-27-2015, 07:43 AM   #1

Send a message via AIM to LeannDi
New to Forum & Towing

Hi Everyone!
I've been a tent camper for a few decades, and I have finally made the jump to a travel trailer. I pick up my X17A on Saturday and plan to have an adventure until Sunday.

I've never towed anything; so therefore, I've never had to back anything up. I've been watching YouTube videos, so I'm about as prepared as I can be.

I want to use a cordless drill for the stabilizer jacks, but I do not know what size socket I need. Anyone know?

Have a great day!
Leann
LeannDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 07:52 AM   #2

Welcome to the forum!

Watching videos on backing is a good start but try to find someone with backing experience to coach you also. One of the biggest mistakes people make when backing is over-correcting, especially with a short wheel based trailer like the X17A. Find an parking lot (maybe a school) and practice.

As for the stabilizer socket, I believe they are universal sized but I don't know the exact size. You can't chuck a 3/8 drive extension into a drill so buy the socket made for this application. http://www.amazon.com/Camco-57363-Le...bilizer+socket
Iraqvet05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 08:23 AM   #3

They are 3/4" on my 19RD.

The TT came with a speed handle.

I also considered using an electric drill to set the stabilizers. The speed handle allows lowering/raising them in 20 seconds each with very little effort.

Try the included handle before spending the bucks on a drill, adapter and socket.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 08:45 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeannDi View Post
Hi Everyone!
I've been a tent camper for a few decades, and I have finally made the jump to a travel trailer. I pick up my X17A on Saturday and plan to have an adventure until Sunday.

I've never towed anything; so therefore, I've never had to back anything up. I've been watching YouTube videos, so I'm about as prepared as I can be.

I want to use a cordless drill for the stabilizer jacks, but I do not know what size socket I need. Anyone know?

Have a great day!
Leann
Congratulations on the new trailer and welcome to the forum. Lots of us on this site loved camping for a long time before making the change to trailers.

My stabilizer jacks take a 3/4" socket. The socket Iraqvet05 suggested would be a good choice if you don't already have sockets.

If you can, select a 'pull through' site for your initial trailer experiences. You've got a lot to learn about leveling and hooking up in addition to backing up.

Like Iraqvet05 said, find a large open area to practice backing up. Practice is the key. Take it slow and find a place where you won't be interfered with. For me, it is the area fair grounds parking lot. It is a wide open space that is unused most of the time and no gates. Also, the local Walmart has a large, wide open area in back for delivery trucks to maneuver. It is wide open most of the time. Some churches, too, have large open parking lots. Unfortunately, most the schools in my area have gates, curbs, etc. making them less than ideal.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 08:53 AM   #5

Thanks for all of the great advice!
Old 05-27-2015, 08:54 AM   #6

I use a cheap drill from Harbor Freight. If you have one in your area watch for a sidewalk sale, I only paid $16 for the one in the link below. Perfect for keeping in the trailer.

Cordless Drill/Driver with Keyless Chuck, 3/8", 18 Volt

What are you towing the trailer with?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iraqvet05 View Post
You can't chuck a 3/8 drive extension into a drill so buy the socket made for this application. http://www.amazon.com/Camco-57363-Le...bilizer+socket
You can buy an adapter for a 3/8" socket also, I have one for this, but the price on what you linked to is pretty nice!
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 10:16 AM   #7

Welcome to the forum....I have a trailer and no tow experience as well. I bought a trailer that my truck can not tow. In a few year when I retire I will buy either a new truck and start towing when we head south for the winter.

I have planned to start practicing soon so that when I start I will have some experience.

A large parking lot with lines would be best as it will allow you to practice and get an instant feedback on how you did. I have read many posts on here as to how people do this...having another person who can assist will make things easier, as well as to how you hold the steering wheel.

Have fun and enjoy...

Oh my trailer stabilizer jacks use a 3/4 inch socket.

2013 F150 EXL Screw 5.0 4x4 3:55 locking ( not towing the above trailer with this truck)

Spending my children's inheritances on my toys!
sask934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 10:38 AM   #8

No need for a specialized attachment for your drill, just get some of these:

Hex Drill Socket Driver Set 3 Pc

I have power jacks, but for the supplemental jacks I will in stall in front of my axles, I'll be using these and my rechargeable drill-driver.

The only cure for anxiety while backing up is practice practice practice. And don't get complacent either. You'll get to a point where you're all calm and confident, and that's when you'll hit something; so always be on your toes and take it SLOW. Also remember GOAL (Get Out And Look). Things sometimes look VERY different in a mirror than they do in real life. I do it all the time, I'll look in the mirror and say "yeah, that's plenty of space", then when I get out and look, turns out I was a lot closer than I thought. And never, ever, ever yell at your spotter. Just don't do it (ask me how I know! LOL!).

You'll get it, just be patient and take it slow, and keep a good attitude about the whole thing! Did I say to take it slow? Slow down, you don't need to prove anything to anyone, just have fun!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 10:55 AM   #9

The others have summed it up well. Practice is the only way to build confidence.

As for using a drill to set the stab jacks, I suggest you try setting manually first and see if you really need the drill and socket. I have it and no longer use it. I found it was challenging for me to get the same tension on each stabilizer. If I got one corner a little two tight it would introduce just enough frame flex to get the doors out of square.

On my previous TT (26BH), the rear bath door was perpendicular to the TT and it was very easy to get out of square and not close properly. Once my 6 y/o daughter forced it closed and got stuck inside. I had to remove the hinge pins to get her out. It is a funny story now, wasn't funny then as she was panicked.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 10:56 AM   #10

Congrats and welcome to JOF.

I got the best Backing up advice from a friend of mine who is a long haul trucker:

"Use all of the runway that you are given"

(when going to back up - pull as far forward as the road ahead of you will allow. This allows you to make smaller, less dramatic steering changes as you are backing up. Its the "sharp" turns that are generally the most over steered and cause correction)

2014 Eagle 30.5 RLS
2015 Dodge 3500HD SRW 6.7L
Click on my profile for Mods and notes
Jmooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 02:11 PM   #11

Thanks Everyone!!

So practice - a lot
Don't over correct - small, slow, movements
GOAT - Get out and look
Don't yell at your spotter ;-)
Use all the space
And don't force the doors if they are out of square

And yes! I do have a Harbor Freight close by. I will take the advice and try the stab jacks without a drill first.

You are so great! Thank you very much!
Leann
Old 05-27-2015, 08:41 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeannDi View Post
I will take the advice and try the stab jacks without a drill first.
It's great exercise!

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote