Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-06-2011, 11:39 AM   #1

New to forum, from the Carolinas

Hello, my name is Doreen and most of the posts will be from me vs. Rocky, though I suspect he may pop in from time to time as well on our account. We have 3 children; boys - 8 and almost 7, girl - 3.5 going on 23. We have a long history with RV's but not a long history with camping.
We owned a 90 TrailManor, 86 Toyota mini class c and 73 Apache Mesa before we ever went on a trip as a family. In 2008 we finally got my dream, a 1980 34v Avion. I ALWAYS wanted a vintage silver bullet. We got 2 good years of camping use out of it until we felt we had out grown it.
Once we had owned the Avion, it was very hard to look at newer TT and not feel that they were cheaper constructed with cheaper materials. The plastics, fabrics, and appliances just weren't made like they were in our Avion anymore. Even the wood felt "less". No one offered real wood cabinetry, the bathroom space, wardrobes and style either. We had a significant conundrum. We looked at various manufacturers and were pleased comparatively with Jayco, both current construction and older models. They were not as good, but were the nicest modern alternative we could find. Then we found our floor plan and felt we had a viable replacement.
A quick search on Craigslist and we found one for 1/2 of what we were quoted out the door by the local dealer, and this unit came with upgrades/mods and extras because the previous owners were getting out of camping entirely.
For where we are now, and will be for some years to come, our Jayflight G2 32BHDS offers just the right amount of comfort, room and function. We definitely feel vey spoiled when we "camp".
We reside in the Piedmont of NC but much of our camping is done at our "seasonal site" at Lake Hartwell, SC or boon docking, we have only one real campground experience.
We have traveled as far as South Western OH. We would like to venture within the next few years to both the upper peninsula in Northern Michigan and across the country to the Seattle area where my sister's family has moved to.
Our pets are new to us (last 3 months) and have traveled with us a few times already. They add an element to travel I have never experienced before, it takes some getting used to.
Rocky and I on our last trip realized that we are those camper people. It feels good. We know that we have a lot to learn. It's a journey though and we are excited to be on it.

2008 (40th Anniversary) Jay Flight G2 32BHDS
2011 F250 XLT Extended Cab 6.2L

Doreen and Rocky
3 kidlets
1 princess puppy
1 feral kitty
1 boar guinea pig
dorayme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 11:49 AM   #2

Welcome to the Jayco Owners Forum Doreen and Rocky! We love traveling with our little Breezi! We don't always have grandkids with us, so it's nice to have Breezi along. You have some pretty area's to camp near home. Congrats on the "new" tt! Post pics when you can
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 06:02 PM   #3
Site Team

Welcome to the forum Doreen. That trailer looks very roomy indeed!
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 08:12 PM   #4

Lee we really couldn't ask for more at this point. We feel so blessed with our TT. If it were posher I would be worried the kids would trash it. If it were bigger, it would not work for our TV. If it were more expensive, it would be harder to budget gas for trips.

Along with a few things we need to make us more secure or comfortable My focus is in adding homey touches. I may be in the minority in thinking this, but IMHO TT's have cookie cutter interiors, but I want our unit to feel like an extension of our style and travel experiences vs. what Jayco designers thought would make a nice coordinated interior. I am not trying to gut it and start all over or anything, but the wheat interior could use some brightening and personality.

So far I have knit the bathmat and kitchen scrubbies and towels. The cotton is so absorbent, and using them is reminiscent to my grandmother's home. My aunt gave us a quilt which IMHO was the perfect piece for the master bedroom!

Rocky and I love to garage sale and find things 2nd hand whether it is through a thrift shop or craigslist. We also both enjoy making things with our hands. I hope on future trips, we can add items here and there that reflect us and remind us of our journey.

2008 (40th Anniversary) Jay Flight G2 32BHDS
2011 F250 XLT Extended Cab 6.2L

Doreen and Rocky
3 kidlets
1 princess puppy
1 feral kitty
1 boar guinea pig
dorayme is offline   Reply With Quote