Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-08-2016, 06:56 AM   #1

Smile New to RVing thinking Redhawk 26XD

Just retired was looking at Class A's Thor, but now leaning toward Class C and Jayco, they seem to be a bit higher quality. Would like to make my first buy like most 3rd buys.....
Your thoughts and input would be appreciated
Nighthawk65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 08:20 AM   #2

I personally like the layout of the 26XD. If they made it in a Greyhawk flavor I probably would have bought it.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 09:03 AM   #3

Newbie like you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthawk65 View Post
Just retired was looking at Class A's Thor, but now leaning toward Class C and Jayco, they seem to be a bit higher quality. Would like to make my first buy like most 3rd buys.....
Your thoughts and input would be appreciated
Nighthawk - I'm in a similar situation to you; also retired less than two years ago and was considering the Melbourne and other brands based on the MBS Sprinter chassis. After test-driving the Melbourne, a Redhawk 23XD and a 26X1, I decided to go with the Redhawk 26X1. Jayco's 2 year warranty also factored largely into the decision.

As I began this search, I was most concerned with the "driveability" of the coach. I then came to realize that the "livability" of the unit was also important. The 26X1 will have space to relax, walk around, and cook (although that is low on the list) in the unit. The smaller units would require lounging at the dinette, and only from one side for TV viewing. The 26 has the couch to make for easy TV viewing and allows others to use the dinette for work space or laptops.

In driving the three units, the Melbourne felt more like an SUV; very easy to drive and pretty responsive and maneuverable. The 23XD felt a little more truck-like but I still felt comfortable in pretty short order. The 26X1 (this is the V-8 Chevy chassis) was more comfortable to me than the Ford. The steering felt tighter, suspension seemed less stiff, and the overall ride was smoother. Acceleration on the bigger 26X1 was just as good as on the smaller 23XD and I felt that I had the swing of the tail end during turns pretty much under control after a few miles.

The 26X1 also had a more attractive price than the other two units. The dealer was asking $5k less than for the 23XD and $15K less than the Melbourne. Although the diesel Melbourne would get better mileage, I estimated that the fuel cost per mile on the 26X1 would be $0.09 more per mile than the Melbourne. The break-even between the Redhawk and the Melbourne translates to almost 90k miles before the initial lower price is offset by the higher fuel consumption costs.

Picking up the new Redhawk next week after the dealer adds slide covers, spare tire and bumper mount, and a few other options. Like you, this is our first RV so I hope we've made the right decision.

Welcome to the forum!
CapeCodFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 09:36 AM   #4

Thanks, this was exactly the kind of information I was looking for. Drivability is a big issue with the Dear Wife, doesn't want to feel trapped if I am not up to drivining.
Old 04-08-2016, 09:38 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopopsy View Post
I personally like the layout of the 26XD. If they made it in a Greyhawk flavor I probably would have bought it.
But you decided on the Greyhawk because?????????
Old 04-08-2016, 10:05 AM   #6

Quote:
Toyota vs. Lexus
Ford vs. Lincoln
Honda vs. Acura

Redhawk vs. Greyhawk

We just wanted the extra goodies and creature comforts.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 02:12 PM   #7

Quote:
I went Redhawk 26 mostly due to price and size... most of the campgrounds we like up in the Sierras have length restrictions. I added the 5star tune and get about 1mpg better (V10) plus the drivability is WAY better (shift points, crusing rpm, etc) . Added sumo Springs, aligned it and adjusted the overloads properly and made all the difference in the world. we tow a 67 bronco or a 18ft enclosed full of dirtbikes. I suggest the Hydraulic levelers, most here say it's a waste but LOVE mine. The only complaint I have is propane & fresh capacities but that's just because I'm coming from a Toyhauler with huge tanks. my cousin bought the Greyhawk and loves it... I have to say the small differences in trim were nice but not enough to justify the price IMHO.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Wildhorses24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 06:14 AM   #8

Let us know how it goes next week, good luck!
Old 04-11-2016, 05:18 AM   #9

Smile New to RV World-Dealership Inquiry

Ready to make the "Leap" into RVing, going with Class C Jayco Redhawk 26XD. Final decision on local dealer or wholesaler. Anyone have dealings with Apache Village in Saint Louis, Mo.?
Old 04-11-2016, 06:01 AM   #10

One place I always check is the local Better Business Bureau to see if any and how many complaints have been filed, and have they been resolved.

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 06:17 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by namusmc65 View Post
One place I always check is the local Better Business Bureau to see if any and how many complaints have been filed, and have they been resolved.
Thanks, I did that and the RV dealers review site, looking good on both counts. Thought it might help to hear of a personal experience. Thanks agaon for replying.
Old 04-29-2016, 06:21 AM   #12

Redhawk 26XD test drive

Finally got a chance to drive the Redhawk 26XD, first RV, even the wife took for a spin. I think this is the one, dealer is being very understanding of a Newbie and not pressuring the sale. Did suggest awning on the two slide outs to keep debris from being pushed in during retraction. It will take some adjustment to be so dependent on the side view mirrors any advantage to the camera's as an extra? Thoughts? PS any suggestions on GPS/RV?
Old 04-29-2016, 06:29 AM   #13

So far they have been a pleasure to deal with no pressure answering all questions and have made the unit available for test driving both wife and If the price is right I believe I will go with this dealer. Stilllike to hear from anyone that has purchased from this dealer...
Old 04-29-2016, 06:51 AM   #14

One thing you can do if you have any local campgrounds, is take a slow drive through the park. Look for units that have one of the local dealer decals on them. Good way to get personal opinions. I have not met anyone yet that does not like talking about their unit and dealer if they have had positive experiences. Sounds to me like your dealer is being very positive in their reactions with you. IF you are happy with them, that is what counts!

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 06:56 AM   #15

My personal opinion is that it is worth having a personal relationship with a local dealer. Let's face it, regardless of the build quality, you are going to have some issues with an RV and unless you are real comfortable fixing things yourself you will be making trips to a dealer.

Emergency repairs while on the road can be handled by probably any dealer, but those nagging little one's that are not trip breakers are the one's I'm talking about.

With that said there is a limit of what I would spend to establish this relationship as well, but if your local dealer is within a few thousand of the next option I tend to buy local. I have purchased 5 RV's in the last twenty years starting with a pop-up, each of them have been from the same person at the same dealership. The young guy who we bought that pop-up from years ago is now gray haired, sitting in the owners seat, and as we are looking at a new Eagle fifth wheel I will be purchasing it from him. The journey has not been perfect, I have had issues with every trailer I purchased but in the end the dealership either got it taken care of from the manufacturer or absorbed it. One particular issue with a stuck slide, the dealer got in his truck on a weekend, drove a hundred fifty miles with his tech and helped me get the stuck slide in and did it with a smile. Another time was a medical emergency that required us to leave and he sent a tow vehicle and got our rig home for us. Not every dealer is going to do that, probably very few, but all I'm trying to say is that there is value to finding the right dealer and that it's hard to put a price on the service.

It's kind of like owning a 4WD truck... you don't really need it most of the time until you REALLY need it.

Hope that helps.
Old 04-29-2016, 07:00 AM   #16

Glad you liked the Redhawk. Like I said before, the addition of the sofa just makes it so much more attractive over the 23XD. I negotiated the addition of the slide covers as part of the sale (also a spare tire and mount) and I'm very happy that I did. I wish I had also included the thermostat-operated fan in the vents but that's a potential future mod project.

The side mirrors give you pretty good visibility and I don't have too many blind spots. I just try to avoid sudden lane changes and use turn signals to give others plenty of warning. I thought I'd like side cameras also but there are lots of forum posts here with both pros and cons. The first true shakedown comes next week with a trip to Disney's Fort Wilderness.

As for GPS/RV, I think I'll try my iPhone since can leave it plugged in with one USB and two 12v outlets in the cab. With a little route planning, I should be able to get by and avoid clearance and weight concerns.

I know this is entirely a matter of preference, but drive the Chevy chassis if your dealer has access to one. I drove both the Ford and Chevy before buying and I liked the Chevy over the Ford. The handling was better, the steering was tighter, the vehicle had a more car-like feel and the Ford felt more like a...well, U-Haul box truck. I thought it was noisier and the doghouse was a tiny bit roomier in the Chevy (I could move my feet between the seat and the engine compartment more easily). The acceleration was about the same for both. The Ford was still a nice unit, but I just preferred the feel and handling of the Chevy.

Good luck with your decision.
Old 04-29-2016, 07:57 AM   #17

Over the past 20 years I have purchased 2 units from the Myers family, owners of Apache Village. They are top notch and first class all the way as far as I'm concerned.
Good luck
Jr
Jrmay25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 06:10 PM   #18

Somewhere I read that it is good to go into the service department and talk with customers that are leaving - just sit in a chair or wait for them outside the door to ask them questions about service and their buying experiences. I have never done this, but it sounds like a good plan. Similar to what you are asking here, but more stalking in person involved

2014 Jayco Jay Flight 32 BHDS
2015 Ford F-250 Lariat 6.7L Powerstroke 4x4
nunyadamn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 04:25 PM   #19

Smile New Owner

It's official I've ordered a Jayco 2016 Redhawk 26XD. Followed a lot of the advice on this forum and other RV forums, I think I've made the right first choice and it's with a local dealer.
Old 05-04-2016, 04:35 PM   #20

Went with Apache Village, ordered a 2016 Redhawk 26XD, thinkit will be a good first choice!

Tags
jayco dealers, mo., redhawk 26xd