Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-06-2015, 05:00 PM   #1

Newbie Jay Flight 24RBS delivery and shakedown

DW and I decided to go ahead and purchase a 2016 Jay Flight 24RBS. We picked her up this past weekend and took her straight to Shenandoah National Park fort the shake down. The weather was not ideal but we had already taken the time off to get the trailer and do some camping so we went out anyway. The delivery went well. The PDI took about 3.5 hours and the mechanic was very thorough. He ran up each system then allowed me to cycle them just to get familiar with everything. I towed the trailer with a Ram 1500 4x4 CC Hemi. The truck pulled great but the fuel mileage took a dive which was expected. She got between 9.5 and 10.5 mpg.

When we got to Shenandoah its was windy and rainy but still a nice drive up the mountain. The campground was pretty quiet. Only abut 10 RVs out of 160 something campsites which was nice. Probably due to the weather.

Okay….

1.The quality and construction of the camper was very nice. Everything worked as it should. We had a leak that was found during the PDI that was handled before we took her off the lot. No big deal.
2.We only camped for two days so I wasnt to concerned abut conserving energy. That being said it was a bit chilly so we ran the furnace on AUTO and set it to 77. We cooked all three meals inside due to the rain. Stove and oven worked great. We both got two hot showers. We also had to of the LED lights on all day. We listened to the radio for a total of 3 hours. I did put the awning out but with the wind whipping around like it was I put it right back in. The single battery held up until 11 before we had to charge it up with the TV. A 30 minute charge gave it enough juice to get us through the night and into the next morning just before lunch. I was impressed since this is my first camper I didnt know what to expect.
3.The fridge stove water heater and furnace only took about half of one 30 lb propane tank.
4.Power tongue jack was great for setting up.
5.Plenty of space with the slide for my wife and I and our dog. By the way she hated camping. The bed was actually pretty comfy.

Our first trip was a success mostly because of all the great information I found on this website. I just wanted to pay it forward and actually write a post that will hopefully help someone else out That is interested in this particular floor plan or wondering about dry camping in bad weather. I definitely want a second battery and even a small generator because we plan to dry camp alot in the future. Our next trip is next weekend we are headed to Hershey PA for the half marathon.
DonnieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 05:49 PM   #2

Congrats on the new trailer!!! That is the replacement for the 24FBS. A friend of mine works at the factory and has confirmed to me that Jayco is no longer making the 24FBS.
HD Trailering Package with Integrated Brake Controller

Camping Couple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 06:32 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camping Couple View Post
Congrats on the new trailer!!! That is the replacement for the 24FBS. A friend of mine works at the factory and has confirmed to me that Jayco is no longer making the 24FBS.
Interesting! I checked out this floor plan and it has some subtle differences from the 24FBS, which we own. Full size queen (nice), a U shaped dinette and an outdoor kitchen. Great updates.

While we do really like our FBS, I note the new model still has no where to sit a drink when sitting on the couch. But I can appreciate there simply isn't room to sneak in an end table. If they could put media seating in there to replace the little love seat, it would be fantastic!
2014 Jayflight 24FBS Elite (Sold)
ykcamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 09:00 AM   #4

Welcome and congrats! We love or 24FBS and have had no major issues. You will pick up lots of ideas for accessories here. The DW, for instance found a collapsible for storage ottoman that has side pockets and inside storage for smaller things. I found a very inexpensive wooden decorated ammo box made in America at Wally world that we sit at the end of the love seat for setting drinks on and storing items in, slides up underneath the dinette when were towing. You will find each time out you will come up with more ideas, and find plenty here!
"Gonna buy a home on wheels see
how it feels going mobile"
mothernaturesson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 01:09 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camping Couple View Post
The 2015 24FBS is the actually the floor plan that we liked. When we were at the dealership in April they had three on their lot that were all sold. The salesman told me that they had more on order. We waited patiently until about September. He then told us that the FBS was on order and that it would be there any day. We went to the Hershy PA show and learned from the Jayco representative that they would no longer be making the FBS and that they made changes to it and were now calling it the RBS. When we got home and called the salesman, he did not know anything about the change. So then I began to wonder hmmm....If the FBS is discontinued how does he have one on order.

Long story short we decided to go ahead and purchase the RBS from a different dealer. This was three weeks ago and the other dealer still does not have the FBS in. Probably because its not coming.
Old 10-07-2015, 01:14 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ykcamom View Post
Interesting! I checked out this floor plan and it has some subtle differences from the 24FBS, which we own. Full size queen (nice), a U shaped dinette and an outdoor kitchen. Great updates.

While we do really like our FBS, I note the new model still has no where to sit a drink when sitting on the couch. But I can appreciate there simply isn't room to sneak in an end table. If they could put media seating in there to replace the little love seat, it would be fantastic!
Im gonna build a small stool that can store under the bed while traveling. It will also double as a step stool for DW and and end table for a drink or whatever. I have come up with a few little ideas for the camper to make it right.
Old 10-07-2015, 01:17 PM   #7

Thanks mother nature,

I keep my eyes peeled back whenever I'm out just in case I see something small for the camper. I had a list of things to add to her already to make her just right.
Old 10-08-2015, 09:23 AM   #8

We have a small foot stool we use to put out feet up while on the couch, but we do need to figure out something to place drinks on.

Need to find something a bit larger but we also have our (90 lb) dog in the trailer with us and it's going to get a little crowded if we do.
2014 Jayflight 24FBS Elite (Sold)
ykcamom is offline   Reply With Quote