Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-15-2017, 07:54 PM   #1

Newbies.

Hey there. The "roof" Shack couple here. Newbie to not on this jayco page but also to RV'ing. We have a Jayflight SLX 185RB Baja Version. Anyone else have that?? We are sooooo overwhelmed it's ALMOST discouraging. We got our walk through way back when we bought it in September and have no used it yet. So we can't remember squat! Can't wait to enjoy it though. We head to Oregon from British Columbia Coast on Feb 23rd!!!
theroofshack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 07:27 AM   #2
Site Team

CONGRATULATIONS on the JAYCO!!!

...and WELCOME TO JOF!!! The members here are GREAT!!! There is a lot of GREAT information to be found here. I am sure that you will have information and pictures to share with us... so please do!!

Don

My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 10:07 AM   #3

There is a lot of knowledge to gain. But most items if you opps, is not a big deal.

Most important thing, check your air pressure every day your traveling. Always keep it at max pressure, and never drive over 65 mph. Take it slow and easy. Low tt tire pressure will cause sway and shorten tire life.

When you get to camp, pull way forwards before backing in. Level the unit from side to side. Chock the wheels, Un hook. I do not use the tongue wheel jack. I place the tongue on a board. It is more stable this way. Level front to back. Set your stablizers, firm, plus a 1/4 turn, tighten them the next day again. If you are camping "dry" make sure to put water in the tank before parking, pump water in to the water heater while filling the fw rank.

If your site has electric, turn off the 30 amp circuit breaker on the post, plug in, flip the breaker back on. Turn the frig on, auto, will use elcrictric first then flip to gas if you do not have power. Gas, turn on the propane tank, slowly. Light the stove first to bleed out air from the lines. Now you can light the water heater and or the frig.

Put out the awning, and relax.

Before you leave on your trip, have you dewinterized and sanitize the water system? If not, I do this in my driveway. Connect a water hose the the city water connection turn on the faucets one at a time and flush out the pink rv antifreeze. Then fill the fw tank, add about a 1/4 to 1/2 cup of bleach into the tank. Continue to fill the tank, pump bleach water through the plumbing system, unit you can smell it at each faucet. Let it sit in the tank a minimum of 4 hours. Drain the water and flush with clean water. I drain the water into my yard. Rv antifreeze is safe to consume, but I avoid it. You may have to adjust your bypass valves at the water heater and at the pump, to get the water to flow.

Enjoy your trip and ask away.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 11:17 AM   #4

Other than all the great people here that can help you out with anything you have questions on, you could probably spend 100 hours on Youtube 're-learning' the stuff you've forgotten since you picked your camper up.

Most important for people starting out is to use checklists so you don't end up posting things excessively in 'The most boneheaded thing you've done' thread
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 03:24 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
There is a lot of knowledge to gain. But most items if you opps, is not a big deal.

Most important thing, check your air pressure every day your traveling. Always keep it at max pressure, and never drive over 65 mph. Take it slow and easy. Low tt tire pressure will cause sway and shorten tire life.

When you get to camp, pull way forwards before backing in. Level the unit from side to side. Chock the wheels, Un hook. I do not use the tongue wheel jack. I place the tongue on a board. It is more stable this way. Level front to back. Set your stablizers, firm, plus a 1/4 turn, tighten them the next day again. If you are camping "dry" make sure to put water in the tank before parking, pump water in to the water heater while filling the fw rank.

If your site has electric, turn off the 30 amp circuit breaker on the post, plug in, flip the breaker back on. Turn the frig on, auto, will use elcrictric first then flip to gas if you do not have power. Gas, turn on the propane tank, slowly. Light the stove first to bleed out air from the lines. Now you can light the water heater and or the frig.

Put out the awning, and relax.

Before you leave on your trip, have you dewinterized and sanitize the water system? If not, I do this in my driveway. Connect a water hose the the city water connection turn on the faucets one at a time and flush out the pink rv antifreeze. Then fill the fw tank, add about a 1/4 to 1/2 cup of bleach into the tank. Continue to fill the tank, pump bleach water through the plumbing system, unit you can smell it at each faucet. Let it sit in the tank a minimum of 4 hours. Drain the water and flush with clean water. I drain the water into my yard. Rv antifreeze is safe to consume, but I avoid it. You may have to adjust your bypass valves at the water heater and at the pump, to get the water to flow.

Enjoy your trip and ask away.

OMG thankyou!!! I mean thanks to everyone but this has a few things I didn't know and great tips! I'm taking a screen shot now. Really thanks a lot! I am going to do the de winterize and sanitize probably 2 days before we leave on this upcoming trip. We live about 3 hours from the Washington USA border. We live in beautiful Lillooet BC Canada. The snow melted and temps are above freezing each day SO FAR. But I'm not chancing it. So I'll be doing this only two days before we leave.

So here's a questions. You said to fill the fw tank before the unhooking and parking. So if we are not dry camping, Woukd we first attach city water and fill the hot water tank and THEN level and unhook?
Also stupid question by I just don't get the hot water tank. So if you are in city water. And electric. How the hell does the hot water tank fill up and what draws it in? Then when it starts to heat up with the gas (we have no electric heater in the tank) how does it re fill itself after a shower?
What we are finding is MOST people have some way higher end automatic everything models. So info I feel can really confuse us. We have this great little new trailer but it's def a lot of manual stuff. Even the fridge is only two way.
Old 02-16-2017, 04:36 PM   #6

Welcome and congrats on the trailer, those Baja edition ones are quite sweet!

As for your questions, Its a good idea to wait as long as possible to dewinterize you just never know what the weather might bring, i think you have the right idea on that.

As for the fresh water tank, most campgrounds have Potable water in only a few places and not at each and ever site (unless you reserve a full hook up site), no one wants to drive around a campground a bunch of times to fill up!

There will be a series of valves likely right by your hot water heater, this is so when you winterize you can bypass the water heater (don't want antifreeze in there). So once you clear out your antifreeze you can open the valve into and out of the water heater, and close the bypass valve. When you hook up to city water (or turn your water pump on) it will automatically pressurize the water heater, same idea as your home, just on a much smaller scale.

This forum is an excellent resource for any new camper, and any questions here i am sure will be responded to quickly. You will get it all down to second nature before you know it!

Cheers, from a fellow Canadian!
Jm9301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 04:36 PM   #7
BCK

Welcome from another BC camper!

If using City water level and unhook first then connect the water line. The advice to fill your tank first is for camping with no hook-ups. Most of us travel with empty tanks and probably just about as many have parked/leveled/un-hooked and then remembered their water tank was empty and had to hook up, go fill it, and re-park.

Your tt water heater works similar to your one at home when connected to city water. To fill the water heater connect to city water, turn it on and open a hot water tap. Air will come out until your tank and lines are full and then water. As you use water from the hw tank it is the pressure in your supply hose that pushes water through and out the tap just like in your house. Just remember to only turn on the water heater when your tank is full.
BCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 04:37 PM   #8

If your campsite has a water spigot, connect your hose to it and to the city water connection. Turn the spigot on, and now water will flow just like in your house.

If you are dry camping, fill the fw tank from a spigot within the campground. Use the port called gravity fill. Most CGs have a place to fill up. Dont forget the water heater. Then go park.

So how to pressurize the system so the water will flow. There is a button usually near the door that says pimp, flip the switch, and you will hear the pump, every time you open a faucet.

One thing to be aware of, most people use a lot of water unknowingly and drain the tank down fast. It takes a few trips to learn the tricks to consere water. Most of the waste water goes to the Grey tank, and if it gets to full it backs up into the shower.

2012 Jayco X23B
Old 02-16-2017, 04:49 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCK View Post
snip...
Your tt water heater works similar to your one at home when connected to city water. To fill the water heater connect to city water, turn it on and open a hot water tap. Air will come out until your tank and lines are full and then water. As you use water from the hw tank it is the pressure in your supply hose that pushes water through and out the tap just like in your house. Just remember to only turn on the water heater when your tank is full.
I just want to emphasize a couple of points for Newbies:
Air will come out your hot water taps until your hot water tank and lines are full of water, then you will get a solid stream of water.

... only turn on the water heater to heat (electric or propane) when your water heater tank is full of water.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 04:56 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCK View Post
Welcome from another BC camper!

and probably just about as many have parked/leveled/un-hooked and then remembered their water tank was empty and had to hook up, go fill it, and re-park.
I've done this more times than I care to admit.
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 08:41 PM   #11

Thanks!

Wow I think I've got this. Pretty excited about when this all becomes second nature. I have printed off a ton of check lists including arrival and departure ones unhitching and hitching ones. I'm a little nervous about sanitizing the tanks before we leave because those valves are ridiculous. My brother-in-law has been RVing for a long time and he said he really struggled initially to figure out which valve was for what and if it was open or closed. I don't want to get anti-freeze in my hot water tank. Obviously I need to clean it all out before any water goes in there. Are there any tricks to understanding and KNOWING just by looking at it if your valves are open or closed? If I have to fiddle with them and I figure it out I will definitely be marking them with an arrow or a pen or drawing a diagram so I don't forget which way is open and which way is close. Any tips on figuring out which way is open and close would be appreciated.
Old 02-17-2017, 09:38 PM   #12

If the valve handle is inline with the pipe the valve is open, if the handle is crosswise to the pipe the valve is closed.

On some of thw new campers at the waterheater, the have replace the valves with three way valves. Same principle,

JAVE You founD The Valves yet? You BIL should know where to look if he is helping.

2012 Jayco X23B
Old 02-20-2017, 03:35 PM   #13

OMG IM IN HELL. lol lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jm9301 View Post
Welcome and congrats on the trailer, those Baja edition ones are quite sweet!

As for your questions, Its a good idea to wait as long as possible to dewinterize you just never know what the weather might bring, i think you have the right idea on that.

As for the fresh water tank, most campgrounds have Potable water in only a few places and not at each and ever site (unless you reserve a full hook up site), no one wants to drive around a campground a bunch of times to fill up!

There will be a series of valves likely right by your hot water heater, this is so when you winterize you can bypass the water heater (don't want antifreeze in there). So once you clear out your antifreeze you can open the valve into and out of the water heater, and close the bypass valve. When you hook up to city water (or turn your water pump on) it will automatically pressurize the water heater, same idea as your home, just on a much smaller scale.

This forum is an excellent resource for any new camper, and any questions here i am sure will be responded to quickly. You will get it all down to second nature before you know it!

Cheers, from a fellow Canadian!
This is insane. SOME of my valves are cross ways to the pipe and some are along ways the pipe. What's crazy is I see 3 valves that appear to be nearest to the hot water tank and one is long and the other two are cross ways. I am starting today to add the water to flush anti freeze and I can't get it in the hw tank. I'm so frustrated. There there's a loose clear tube that isn't connected to anything. And at the other end it's connected to a cold water blue pipe with one valve right there. And it's long ways to the pipe. Is this the one that sucks up anti freeze for you? I'm so nervous about this. Can you help. I attached pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_8025.jpg   IMG_8024.jpg  
Old 02-20-2017, 04:45 PM   #14

Thanks for the info Keep it coming. Its a big learning curve for me too

Another BC newbie Rv'er

2017 Hummingbird 17RK (Sold)
2017 Jay Feather 23RSLW Sold)
2020 Eagle HT 30.5 CKTS

2015 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE (Sold)
2017 Chev Silverado 3500HD Duramax
87Yugo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 09:01 PM   #15

The clear tube, is the antifreeze pickup. There is a valve inline with it. Make sure it is closed, handle crosswise to the pipe. There is another handle on a pipe coming out of the floor, going to the pump, that is the pipe from the fw tank. Have that handle open, handle lengthwise to the pipe. Now you can pump water from the fw tank.

At the water heater, on my phone I cannot see the handle positions very well. There is two pipes connected to the water heater, make sure after you do a initial clean water flush, to open the valves, handle lengthwise to the pipe. There will be a third valve, between the hot and cold water pipes, that is the bypass valve, close it.

I went back and looked again, at the water heater valves, you are set for winterizing, after an initial flush, flip all three valves, and you will be in operation mode.

Note, rv antifreeze is safe to consume, but I do not like the stuff, and I try to keep it out of the water heater as it takes a lot longer to flush the tank, than the pipes.

2012 Jayco X23B
Old 02-20-2017, 11:24 PM   #16

Here is a shot of the hot water tank and supply lines from my 195RB Baja. I believe your plumbing in/out of the water tank will be the same. This shot shows normal operation after de-winterization. There are 5 valves showing in the picture. You can see at the top the valve with the clear pipe coming into it - that is the antifreeze pickup which is closed. Just below and to the right by the pump is the fresh water feed which is open. The valve in the middle of the red pipe is the hot water line from the tank which is open. The valve at the bottom in the middle of the blue pipe is the cold water feed to the tank which is open. Lastly, the valve to the left between the blue and red piping is the hot water tank bypass which is closed.

Since your valves are still set for winterization the 2 valves for the hot water tank inlet/outlet lines and the bypass valve are opposite from the attached picture. As Jagiven has indicated, flush the lines out with some fresh water leaving the valves as they are currently set. Open each faucet one at a time and let the water run clean. Don't forget the line to the toilet as well. Once the lines are clean make sure that the drain plug on the hot water tank has been replaced. The drain plug is accessed from the outside of the trailer to the left of where you light the tank. Then set your valves to match the attached picture and fill the hot water tank. Open the hot water faucet at the sink or the tub while filling to allow the air to escape the tank while filling.
Attached Thumbnails
SDC11249 (2).jpg  
TT: 2015 Jay Flight SLX 195RB Baja Edition, Andersen No-Sway (Traded in)
ttavasc is offline   Reply With Quote