Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-17-2017, 04:00 PM   #1

Newbies in Ontario

Hi we are new to travel trailers. We just bought a 2017 Jayco 174bh. A great upgrade from our tent. We took it out for our first trip this past weekend and loved it. We are part of a Jayco Facebook group and it was recommended we join this forum. We are a family of 4 with 2 boys age 6.5 and 5 and we have 2 dogs. Looking forward to many more trips in our new trailer.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
jlmed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 04:06 PM   #2

Welcome, head over the bridge and enjoy some great camping in Michigan this summer.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 04:20 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer330 View Post
Welcome, head over the bridge and enjoy some great camping in Michigan this summer.
We will for sure. We are so close ☺️

Old 04-17-2017, 09:51 PM   #4

Welcome to JOF from Louisiana and congrats on the new trailer. Happy Camping!

2017 Ram 3500 4x4 Dually 6.7L HO Turbo Diesel with Aisin Tranny
50 Gal. Transfer Flow Auxiliary Tank
2014 Ram 2500 6.7 Cummins (Sold)
2017 Pinnacle 36KPTS
Wampuscat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 10:14 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer330 View Post
Hi Sundancer, can you recommend some good parks close to the borders in Michigan?
2017 F-350 Platinum CC SRW
klassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 08:09 AM   #6

Welcome to the forums, fellow Sarnian here. There is a ton of knowledge here. I have used it a lot.

Some of our favourite campgrounds just across the Bluewater Bridge are Lakeport State Park and Port Huron KOA.

Lakeport has a great beach. Port Huron KOA is very busy but is a blast for the kids.

If you want to travel a little further - Traverse City State Park and Ludington State Park are our other Michigan favourites.

Have fun with your new trailer.
Old 04-18-2017, 08:41 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayC View Post
Welcome to the forums, fellow Sarnian here. There is a ton of knowledge here. I have used it a lot.

Some of our favourite campgrounds just across the Bluewater Bridge are Lakeport State Park and Port Huron KOA.

Lakeport has a great beach. Port Huron KOA is very busy but is a blast for the kids.

If you want to travel a little further - Traverse City State Park and Ludington State Park are our other Michigan favourites.

Have fun with your new trailer.
Thanks for the info. Are those camp grounds like open fields or more private like our provincial parks where sites are seperated by trees and bushes? I looked at some sites at Lakeport and it looked all open. I haven't checked the KOA site but will check that out too.

Old 04-18-2017, 08:47 AM   #8

Welcome to the JOF!
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 09:32 AM   #9
Site Team

Welcome from Western NY! Enjoy your new Jayco.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 10:21 AM   #10
Site Team

CONGRATULATIONS on the JAYCO!!!

...and WELCOME TO JOF!!! The members here are GREAT!!! There is a lot of GREAT information to be found here. I am sure that you will have information and pictures to share with us... so please do!!

Don

My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 05:40 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlmed View Post
Thanks for the info. Are those camp grounds like open fields or more private like our provincial parks where sites are seperated by trees and bushes? I looked at some sites at Lakeport and it looked all open. I haven't checked the KOA site but will check that out too.

Lakeport State Park is very open and sometimes shade is difficult to find. There are some sites that are more private then others. Very peaceful campground with a great beach. Very close for a weekend getaway
Port Huron KOA is very, very, busy and is the perfect campground for the kids. Sites are somewhat tight and not overly private. But, the kids will have a blast. It to is very close for a weekend getaway.
Traverse City State Park has plenty of trees, smaller park, and more private then Lakeport. Downfall is it is directly beside the highway. Big upside is the beach across the road.
Ludington State Park is very comparable to the Pinery. It's got the dunes, the well treed shaded sites, the great beach, and very decent privacy for most sites.
Old 04-18-2017, 06:45 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by klassic View Post
Hi Sundancer, can you recommend some good parks close to the borders in Michigan?
Most of our Michigan camping is on the west side on Lake Michigan. If you like beach front camping Grand Haven is perfect, very hard to get reservations, no trees for shade and camping is very tight , think parking lot. Ludington and PJ Hoffmaster also on Lake Mich, more traditional camping, lots of trees and larger sites. North near Mackinaw we hit Wilderness State Park west of town out in the boonies, nice large sites, lots of trees, great hiking and bike trails and wonderful views of the lake. Over the bridge is Straights State park, nice park, trees, larger sites, close to town for a ferry ride over to Mackinaw Island. We also do Traverse City State Park, close to town, large beach on Little Traverse Bay, get a site in the back away from the five lane road out front, won't hear any noise. Sleeping Bear Dunes Natural Lakeshore west of Traverse City has two National Park campgrounds, Platte River campground and D.H. Day Campground, this is a great area for kayaking, swimming, hiking, biking, fishing, dune climbing and some of the most beautiful sunsets sitting 500 feet above the lake at the top of the sand dunes. For reservation info go to
https://www.midnrreservations.com, it will bring up a map of all the state park campgrounds, click on one you may be interested in and you can see pictures of each campsite and also a calendar with available dates.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote