Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-01-2016, 06:02 PM   #1

Onan RVQD 8000 Won't Start

New to this forum so will apologize in advance if I screw it up. My question is regarding the Generator on my almost new Seneca 37RB. We've used the generator a few times in the last months but always with manual start. So a few days ago I decided to figure out Auto Start so after disconnecting shore power I was successful in getting the system to work, let it run about an hour with the air conditioning cycling then reset it to manual and reattached shore power. Now a week later we are getting ready for a few days in the mountains and I attempt to start the generator manually from the console, nothing happened, no noise only the light on the console switch lit up. I then tried to start from the start switch on the Generator, nothing no noises no button light or error codes, and no ideas.

I have an appointment for some other service in a week but sure would like to solve it if it is something I did. Any suggestions will be appreciated.
FLReiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 06:37 PM   #2

Sounds like a loose connection on the battery cables to the geny. Check the ground in particular.
Old 09-02-2016, 12:30 PM   #3

Thanks Grumpy, sure appreciate the rapid response. Tightened the connectors at the gen, and all the connectors on the house battery bank, checked the voltage at the gen and had 13+. Also checked the 3 fuses located under the panel containing the coolant fill and all 3 were good. Called the local Cummins/Onan facility and their Gen tech is booked thru 9/16. It sure seems like it is a loss of the 12v dc since there is no light at the switch or error codes to indicate power there. Again thanks for the assist.
Old 09-02-2016, 02:02 PM   #4

We have the same genset but haven't had any problems. Perhaps it's the start/stop switch, circuit, or starter that has failed.
The starter is accessible from underneath through the same access door where the oil and fuel filters are located. Perhaps an "old school" whack of the starter would help.
Will it prime if the switch is held in the Off position for one minute?

This is from the factory service manual:
ENGINE WON’T CRANK—FUEL PUMP WON’T STOP
(Faulty Stop Switch or grounded wiring)
Corrective Action:
1. Disconnect the remote control panel connector. Check for electrical continuity between remote control connector pins J8-A and J8-E. Replace a switch that does not open when released and repair
or reconnect wiring as necessary.
2. Remove the front and top housing panels (p. 6-4) and disconnect engine harness connector P2 from
the controller (p. 19-1, 19-4, 10-2). Reconnect the remote control panel (J8/P8) and check for electrical continuity between:
A. Pin P2-3 (remote stop) and pin P2-2 (remote ground).
B. Pin P2-10 (local stop) and pin P2-11 (local ground).
C. Replace a switch that does not open when released and repair or reconnect wiring as necessary.
3. Replace the controller assembly (p. 10-2)
abarkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 09:13 PM   #5

Thanks for all the info abarkl, I took the easy way and scheduled an appointment with Cummins/Onan, the unit is under warranty and I guess I will let them take it from here, although I do find it frustrating, like to think I can fix stuff.
Old 10-01-2016, 09:48 PM   #6

Generator is repaired, a bad board requiring the generator to be removed from the chassis. This was done under warranty. Thanks for the earlier information
Old 10-01-2016, 10:47 PM   #7

Interesting. Do you know if that was the main control board that supposedly costs hundreds of dollars?
There was someone else on the forums this week with a RVQD 8000 that wouldn't start but they eventually realized they weren't holding the Start switch for a long enough period.
abarkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 09:24 PM   #8

Yes I believe the main Board

They Removed and Replaced the Genset Control. While it was covered under warranty the itemized invoice was. $1,645.49 for the what was called the gen inverter and an additional $710.50 labor. Sure glad it was under warranty and sure hope it doesn't happen again. Have had a few other minor problems but love the Seneca.