Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-29-2015, 07:51 AM   #1

please help, 154bh, 184bh, or 174bh

Hello, I have enjoyed reading through previous posts as my husband and I try to decide on which camper to buy. Now we are close to making a decision, and I could use help! We are from MN, but hubbie is out on vacation in Montana, where the Baja editions are available. We think we want the added features this offers. But now we have to pick a model. I really like the compact, cute, and cozy feel of the 154bh. We have 2 boys, have tent camped a lot, so I don't think we would mind the closeness of this unit. there is also a 184bh available, although I really don't like the fabric on the cushions, a dark brown vinyl stuff. I know this unit offers more space and people seem to love it, but it doesn't seem as cozy/fun as the 154. however, I understand the extra space may be well worth it in the long run, so maybe I have to get used to the brown cushions. There is also a 174bh coming out soon in baja edition, but not there yet. This is 21 ft 7 inches though, so even longer than the 184bh. we like to be small and compact, and I don't know if the extra length would start to feel like a longer trailer. I'm sure the extra room would be nice.

Sorry I'm rambling. I have been going through this every which way in my head, and am so confused. It sounds like people love their little TT, slx's, so I'm excited. I would Greatly appreciate any input to help me decide.

Thank you, Have a great day!
hunidog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 08:03 AM   #2

I suggest you go w/the 184 or 174. the 154 will not grow along w/your boys. it'll become smaller. the only difference between the 174 and 184 are the, 1. dining area table/bed in the 184 is now a permanent front bed in the 174. the "sofa" in the 184 is now a dining booth/drop table for small bed in the 174. the 184 will no longer be available after dealers deplete their current inventories. the 184 has been replaced by the new production model 174BH...go w/the the 174. it's not that much longer and you'll appreciate the extra elbow room. have fun choosing and have more fun after your choice.
Two Kayaks. Dagger for me, Old Town for Wife
Gary Fisher Mnt Bk for me, Trek for Wife
Retired U.S. Army in 1991
Life is Good!
LBL 1206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 08:46 AM   #3

^ X2
First, welcome to JOF from a former Minnesotan. I would go with the 174 also. You have stationary beds. No breaking down or setting up beds in evening and morning. With 174 you can order it with the options and decor you would like. I think you will be very satisfied.

Have fun shopping. It is an exciting time.
2011 Jayco Jay Flight 26RLS-Sold
2014 Jayco Eagle 298 RLDS
maromeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 01:24 PM   #4

I have a 184 and suggest going to the new 174 simply because it has the permanent bed. We never have our dinette set up because it really becomes a pain to set up and tear down every day. We will sit on the little couch and have thought about adding a tiny removable table like other 184 owners have. The 174 also comes with an option for a roof mounted a/c (highly recommend) and the mandatory package now includes a power awning and (I think) front jacks. However, the 174 is heavier than the old 184, so keep that in mind. We bought the 184 so we could tow with a minivan. I wouldn't tow the 174 with a minivan as we would be too close to max weight once loaded and tongue weight is already an issue. If you are towing with anything better than a minivan than a 174 is the way to go. With the Baja package it is totally the way to go, no questions.

BTW, we have two kids as well. It is very doable in this size. We look at it as tent camping with walls and a toilet. It forces us outside. No TV or electronics allowed in the trailer. Buy some memory foam mattress pads for all the beds. You'll be happy you did.
rangerdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 08:24 AM   #5

decision made

Well, thank you for all the good advice. I'm sure we probably should have waited for the 174, but for various reasons we went with the 154. My husband and I both wanted to stay small, and he was in Montana, and the 154 was there, and we'll it just happened. We are so excited. He should be home with it today. so thanks again for input. If this is too small, I'm sure we can resell and upgrade in s year or two. I'll try and post a pic....
Old 10-31-2015, 08:45 AM   #6

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0783.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	106.2 KB
ID:	20673

Here it is on way back through North Dakota
Old 10-31-2015, 08:55 AM   #7

Congo Ratz! and welcome to JOF.
Having told us you tent camp a lot, I think you will find the 154 more than suits your needs and the creature comforts of the RV will have you feeling like you are living like kings. If you keep your mindset on when you tent camped, I am sure this will last you through several years. Just don't go crazy with the water usage. It may seem like you have a lot more than you ever carried with you on a tent trip, but in reality....

Enjoy.
2021 Argo Aurora 8x8/2008 Arctic Cat M1000 SnoPro
Previous: Komfort 5er/Jamboree MH/Lance Cabover/Jayco Whitehawk 25BHS TT
NVGun40 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
154bh, 174bh, 184bh, baja