Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-20-2016, 12:42 PM   #1

"Pre wired for backup camera"

How so? Does anyone know of a kit that is plug and play?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GregJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 05:51 AM   #2

Most any wireless kit, with a battery operated camera will be plug and play. There are a number of threads on this forum explaining how others have pulled 12v from a clearance light to supply a hard wired camera.

2014 RAM Laramie 2500 w/6.7L Cummins Diesel and Automated Safety Hitch
2016 377RLBH Jayco North Point
300W of Suntech Solar w/Rogue MPPT Controller & Xantrex 2000W PSW Inverter
Fire_Instructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 07:11 PM   #3

Can anyone expand on "this unit wired for backup camera?" Is the extent off Jayco's wiring for this that they have a hot 12V plug you can use? What a crock. That's like the "Wired for solar" claim justified by 2x12" wires going to the battery from a plug.
DaveT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 07:16 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveT View Post
Can anyone expand on "this unit wired for backup camera?" Is the extent off Jayco's wiring for this that they have a hot 12V plug you can use? What a crock. That's like the "Wired for solar" claim justified by 2x12" wires going to the battery from a plug.
My "Wired for solar" had a pair of 12awg wires from the battery to a side plug, PLUS a MC4 connection on the roof, with a pair of 8awg wires running to the battery area, for connection to a controller.

The back-up camera connection is nothing but an extra 12v plug in the bedroom for a wireless camera. If you want/need to actually install the camera, steel power from the center clearance light in the rear.

2014 RAM Laramie 2500 w/6.7L Cummins Diesel and Automated Safety Hitch
2016 377RLBH Jayco North Point
300W of Suntech Solar w/Rogue MPPT Controller & Xantrex 2000W PSW Inverter
Fire_Instructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 10:09 AM   #5

Mine is wired for solar too, but I haven't yet found any roof connections (where I would like to put a flexible panel)
Old 09-15-2016, 10:36 AM   #6

Sometimes there is a difference between what Corporate "Sales People" thought they heard and what Corporate "Engineering" said. True in a lot of companies.

2015 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD
John7349 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 08:20 PM   #7

Our Starcraft launch 24RLS came prewired for a camera and all we had to do was plug it in and snap the camera into the bracket already installed under the roofline on the back. It works great and I love seeing behind me on the road.
secal48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 08:38 PM   #8

Quote:
My rig has to locations that are plug and play for solar panels, one on the roof and one on the docking station. It is also clearly marked inside where the wiring is to install the controller for a roof mounted system. It also has power to the rear of the coach that is a dedicated circuit for the backup camera. The 12V plug in the bedroom is there should you want to use the screen for a monitor after removing it from your tow vehicle. Yes one could pull power from a marker light but that is not a always hot circuit so the lights have to be on for it to work. In addition the camera power circuit has a switch in the docking station as well.

I'm not sure what you feel is a "crock" about this as it is all there on my unit.
Old 09-19-2016, 12:28 PM   #9

Mine has no solar connections on the roof - only a SAE port near the battery.

As best I can find out (since there is no documentation I have or can find otherwise) the camera "wiring" consists of a pigtail inside the back wall, intended to be run through a new hole that has to be drilled, and run to a camera that has to be installed. There is nothing inside related except the 12V port which is really tasked for other things.

Neither constitute "pre-wired" by my definition.
Old 09-19-2016, 12:50 PM   #10

Quote:

As best I can find out (since there is no documentation I have or can find otherwise) the camera "wiring" consists of a pigtail inside the back wall, intended to be run through a new hole that has to be drilled, and run to a camera that has to be installed. There is nothing inside related except the 12V port which is really tasked for other things.

Agreed all around. On most of the TT's the 'pre-wire' for solar and camera is just a marketing gimmick. On the bright side, the solar plug-in near the battery can be useful for other things... Solar, not so much, at least not for me. Once you add a workable amount of panels, charge controller, and up the battery to something worthy, the final run to the battery itself is a trivial matter. We get a sticker and 5 bucks worth of wiring with an undersized plug on the end of it.

Some of the Jayco 5th wheels have plugs on the roof to go with the one by the battery which would be a great time saver when it comes to not needing to fish wires through the camper. I haven't seen a Jayco TT with this option.
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 01:15 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregJames View Post
How so? Does anyone know of a kit that is plug and play?
Hey Greg,

If your rig is similar to mine (White Hawk 28 DSBH), then "pre-wired" means just a hot wire/ground hidden in the back wall. In mine it is always on, which allows you to use it as a security camera when camping (not that I plan to). I may eventually rewire it to my marker lights so it isn't always on.

The wires hang pretty much straight down the back of the trailer under the center panel marker light, so I removed that light first so I could confirm the camera wires were there before drilling a hole in the back of my trailer. I then fished them up and out of the way through the panel marker opening while I did the drilling, then pushed them back down to the new hole and fished them out.

Anyway, here are a couple of photos from my install. I went with a Furrion backup AND rear observation camera (as opposed to their "backup only" model). It has a great signal in the cab of my truck, which is about 50 feet away from the camera, and gives me a continuous rear view while driving with no snow, cutting out or locking up. The display in the cab is about 5", full color, not HD but good quality. Found it on EBay for about $289. The price from this vendor seems to bounce around from $279-$300. The model number is FOS48TAPK-BL. It took me about an hour to install. One thing - make SURE you have all power off in the rig when you install the camera, or you'll blow a fuse. Don't ask me how I know...

My Jayco dealer said they pre-wire specifically for the Voyager backup camera system, but there's nothing specific about a hot wire/ground. The Voyager gives you a much bigger display screen, but I didn't want it. The Voyager also installs with a wire poking out of your trailer, whereas the Furrion mounts over the wire, much cleaner and tighter against the elements IMHO. The Voyager is also much pricier...

Our White Hawk photo album
Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 01:18 PM   #12

Awesome! Thank you!

GregJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 02:23 PM   #13

Quote:

pigtail inside = pre-wired. It doesn't say pre-installed.
Old 09-19-2016, 02:33 PM   #14

Link to the 'documentation' on the camera pre-wire...someone else posted this a couple weeks ago.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7z49kcvdx0...tion.pdf?dl=0#

If you have to provide your own wire... you decide if it's really pre-wired, or just a marketing / sticker / bullet point on a document. In any event, you can install a camera back there so I don't really care what they call it, just amused at what counts as 'pre-wiring' these days.
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 10:10 AM   #15

Thanks for posting those photos. I have a 2017 Jayco 28RLS and have purchased the Furion Observation camera from Amazon. My rig says it is "pre-wired" too. I want to install the camera like the one in your photo but problem is my marker lights are the LED types that don't have any screws to remove the lens. The lights probably have "pop-off" lens like the interior lights. Problem is the marker lights have silicone all around them for water proofing. Anyone have any ideas for removing the LED marker lights? I guess a careful application of utility knife could do it.

Greg.
Greg&Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 12:11 PM   #16

Camera

You did a nice job on your camera install.

Good job!!
jasum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 03:57 PM   #17

Good job on the install. Looks great

Magnolia Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 08:48 PM   #18

How big is the monitor and what mounting options come with it please ? Pic ? thanks
Old 03-29-2017, 08:51 PM   #19

Bump

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

2017 Jayco 28RLS
2018 Ford F-250 Lariat 6.2L Gas
Equalizer 12K WD Hitch

Greg&Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 08:54 PM   #20

Greg, did you get your camera installed? Are your marker lights round? We just picked up a 2017 23BHM today and the lights are round so I may be wondering the same thing as you were about removal of the light. I plan to install the camera tomorrow and am rather anxious to see what I have behind that light.
sfarw is offline   Reply With Quote