Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-31-2017, 11:25 AM   #21

Pre wire?

Don't see an extra set of wires... image attached.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1696.jpg  
sfarw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 11:45 AM   #22

I spliced into the extra wire or brown in your case for +12V. Mine was blue. splice into white for -12v. Don't cut the brown only use a splice. Drill hole lower for wire to poke up to this hole.
NorthPoint5r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 04:29 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfarw View Post
Greg, did you get your camera installed? Are your marker lights round? We just picked up a 2017 23BHM today and the lights are round so I may be wondering the same thing as you were about removal of the light. I plan to install the camera tomorrow and am rather anxious to see what I have behind that light.
Haven't installed yet. Waiting for favorable weather. I'll post a pic of my light fixture. It isn't round.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

2017 Jayco 28RLS
2018 Ford F-250 Lariat 6.2L Gas
Equalizer 12K WD Hitch

Greg&Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 03:50 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthPoint5r View Post
I spliced into the extra wire or brown in your case for +12V. Mine was blue. splice into white for -12v. Don't cut the brown only use a splice. Drill hole lower for wire to poke up to this hole.
Unfortunately there isn't room to mount the furrion camera I purchased between this light and the window! And, right above this hole I see metal... I was thinking about moving this light up and putting the camera in this spot, but I'm not sure it would be wise to attempt drilling through metal that could potentially be structural? Moving the light below it I imagine would obstruct the camera's view or at least cause glare.

What is the law on these marker lights? Would it be legal to remove the center one?

Edit: I guess the screws for the camera would be in the wall rather than the window trim, so it might be okay to overlap the window trim as long as I caulk the gap.
Old 04-01-2017, 04:47 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfarw View Post
Unfortunately there isn't room to mount the furrion camera I purchased between this light and the window! And, right above this hole I see metal... I was thinking about moving this light up and putting the camera in this spot, but I'm not sure it would be wise to attempt drilling through metal that could potentially be structural? Moving the light below it I imagine would obstruct the camera's view or at least cause glare.

What is the law on these marker lights? Would it be legal to remove the center one?

Edit: I guess the screws for the camera would be in the wall rather than the window trim, so it might be okay to overlap the window trim as long as I caulk the gap.
Trailers wider that 6.6 feet are required to have the 3 center marker lights:

Wide Trailers

Trailers that are more than 80 inches wide must be equipped with additional lighting on the front and rear to indicate the trailer's width. Two red rear clearance lights must be placed at the trailer's widest point, as far apart and as high as possible. Three red identification lights must be centered on the back of the trailer, spread between 6 and 12 inches apart, and placed as high as possible. Front clearance lights must be placed as high and as far forward as possible, at the trailer's widest point.

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 04:19 AM   #26

I first drilled a starter hole a few inches below the light hole and ran into metal. I drilled below that and yes metal again but continued with installation. Hope I did not weaken it but I am sure with how tight I had to turn those screws my camera will not fall off.
Old 04-02-2017, 08:17 AM   #27

Successful install on 23BHM

The brown wire was positive as suggested, the white was negative. The wires for the furrion were too small to fit into my tap, so I attached them first to extra wire of a thicker gauge and used that thicker wire in the tap. I was afraid that I wouldn't be able to push everything back into the wall but I managed it. I also made sure to keep the area behind each light screw clear of wires. I also trimmed down the length of wire that came with the camera because 6' is pretty long for this application.

There was a bit of plastic I had to drill down through below the light's hole. I didn't detect anything behind the four mounting screws on the camera either.

I still have to seal the gap created by the window trim underneath the camera mount but that should be simple enough.

The camera paired right away and I have good reception in the cab. I'm really excited to use it now!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1748.jpg   IMG_1750.jpg   IMG_1752.jpg  
Old 04-02-2017, 09:03 AM   #28

the only thing I fussed with is pairing. Unlike the Eagles there is no switch and with prep wiring the camera is on all the time. I had to use the battery kill switch to cycle the power as required when pairing the monitor to camera.
Old 04-02-2017, 10:04 AM   #29

Here is what my marker lights look like. Anyone have any ideas on how to remove to get behind to the wires? My best guess is to carefully use a utility knife to break the silicone sealant and then maybe pry gently??

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

2017 Jayco 28RLS
Equalizer 12K WD Hitch

Old 04-02-2017, 10:11 AM   #30

it pops off with enough force all around with a putty knife. I too was concerned about breaking it.
Old 04-02-2017, 12:01 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthPoint5r View Post
it pops off with enough force all around with a putty knife. I too was concerned about breaking it.
Going to try that.

2017 Jayco 28RLS
Equalizer 12K WD Hitch

Old 04-20-2017, 12:53 PM   #32

Well, rear view camera (Furrion) is installed. The LED lens pried off easily. There was an extra black wire capped off behind the centerpiece clearance light. Opted to wire the camera into the clearance light power so it would be on when headlights are on.

Simple task. Works great. Was very helpful when driving on 95 this week on our way to spring camping at Cape Charles, VA.

2017 Jayco 28RLS
Equalizer 12K WD Hitch

Old 04-21-2017, 04:48 AM   #33

Prewired

I installed my Furrion camera earlier this month, and opted to connect it to the marker lights vs the lone black wire that was there. I''m not great at electrical. The black wire didn't seem to be hot- though I tried various grounding methods. Expanded instructions from Jayco would have been nice. The only benefit to connecting it to the black wire vs the marker lights would have been the ability to use the camera for observation assuming it would be always powered. Since I have an expandable that solution would only get me a view of the top of my tent anyhow! So it was easy to tap into the center marker light. And it works great. Lights on camera is on. Easy.
Jpallen01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 05:48 AM   #34

there should have been two hot wires and a ground. The other hot is hot all the time. In mine it was blue.
Old 05-16-2017, 04:41 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg&Nancy View Post
Well, rear view camera (Furrion) is installed. The LED lens pried off easily. There was an extra black wire capped off behind the centerpiece clearance light. Opted to wire the camera into the clearance light power so it would be on when headlights are on.

Simple task. Works great. Was very helpful when driving on 95 this week on our way to spring camping at Cape Charles, VA.

Can you show us a picture of the camera mounted to your TT and maybe a closeup from the side? Would like to see how it looks on aluminum siding.

Thank you in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2015 RAM 3500HD Cummins Turbo Diesel, Tradesman Crew Cab 4WD
Duke_26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 06:14 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke_26 View Post
Can you show us a picture of the camera mounted to your TT and maybe a closeup from the side? Would like to see how it looks on aluminum siding.

Thank you in advance!

There you go.

2017 Jayco 28RLS
Equalizer 12K WD Hitch

Old 05-16-2017, 06:37 PM   #37

Nice job and I think that it's a much have mod on these TT and fiver.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 07:17 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg&Nancy View Post
There you go.

Thank you very much!!! Assuming you have the rear observation system and not the back up camera version. I hope your enjoying it as much as I enjoy ours! The range in incredible. Makes driving so much more enjoyable knowing what's behind you in your blind spot and changing lanes, and of course backing up. Got almost 2000 miles clocked on ours with no issues.

Happy Trails!

2015 RAM 3500HD Cummins Turbo Diesel, Tradesman Crew Cab 4WD
Duke_26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 07:24 PM   #39

Quote:
Thank you very much!!! Assuming you have the rear observation system and not the back up camera version. I hope your enjoying it as much as I enjoy ours! The range in incredible. Makes driving so much more enjoyable knowing what's behind you in your blind spot and changing lanes, and of course backing up. Got almost 2000 miles clocked on ours with no issues.

Happy Trails!

Yes, have the rear observation system. Makes driving in traffic so much better.

2017 Jayco 28RLS
Equalizer 12K WD Hitch

Old 05-16-2017, 08:15 PM   #40

Quote:

Thank you in advance!

That would be greatly appreciated to see some pics.. We bought a 17 26bh aluminum siding and wanted to see how the furrion sat on the aluminum for install. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
mbpayne74 is offline   Reply With Quote