Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-19-2016, 01:15 PM   #11
Originally Posted by GregJames View Post
How so? Does anyone know of a kit that is plug and play?
Hey Greg,

If your rig is similar to mine (White Hawk 28 DSBH), then "pre-wired" means just a hot wire/ground hidden in the back wall. In mine it is always on, which allows you to use it as a security camera when camping (not that I plan to). I may eventually rewire it to my marker lights so it isn't always on.

The wires hang pretty much straight down the back of the trailer under the center panel marker light, so I removed that light first so I could confirm the camera wires were there before drilling a hole in the back of my trailer. I then fished them up and out of the way through the panel marker opening while I did the drilling, then pushed them back down to the new hole and fished them out.

Anyway, here are a couple of photos from my install. I went with a Furrion backup AND rear observation camera (as opposed to their "backup only" model). It has a great signal in the cab of my truck, which is about 50 feet away from the camera, and gives me a continuous rear view while driving with no snow, cutting out or locking up. The display in the cab is about 5", full color, not HD but good quality. Found it on EBay for about $289. The price from this vendor seems to bounce around from $279-$300. The model number is FOS48TAPK-BL. It took me about an hour to install. One thing - make SURE you have all power off in the rig when you install the camera, or you'll blow a fuse. Don't ask me how I know...

My Jayco dealer said they pre-wire specifically for the Voyager backup camera system, but there's nothing specific about a hot wire/ground. The Voyager gives you a much bigger display screen, but I didn't want it. The Voyager also installs with a wire poking out of your trailer, whereas the Furrion mounts over the wire, much cleaner and tighter against the elements IMHO. The Voyager is also much pricier...

2017 White Hawk 28DSBH
2010 F150 XLT SCREW, 4x4, 5.4L Triton, HD Tow
Andersen No-Sway Weight Distribution Hitch
Our White Hawk photo album
Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 01:18 PM   #12
Awesome! Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GregJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 02:23 PM   #13
Originally Posted by DaveT View Post
Mine has no solar connections on the roof - only a SAE port near the battery.

As best I can find out (since there is no documentation I have or can find otherwise) the camera "wiring" consists of a pigtail inside the back wall, intended to be run through a new hole that has to be drilled, and run to a camera that has to be installed. There is nothing inside related except the 12V port which is really tasked for other things.

Neither constitute "pre-wired" by my definition.
pigtail inside = pre-wired. It doesn't say pre-installed.
2009 F350 CC LB 4WD
2017 Jayco 355MBQS
Rustysocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 02:33 PM   #14
Link to the 'documentation' on the camera pre-wire...someone else posted this a couple weeks ago.

If you have to provide your own wire... you decide if it's really pre-wired, or just a marketing / sticker / bullet point on a document. In any event, you can install a camera back there so I don't really care what they call it, just amused at what counts as 'pre-wiring' these days.

2016 27BHS Elite
2012 F-150 EcoBoost / Max Tow
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote