Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-30-2015, 06:51 AM   #1

question using generator power

We have a 30ft jayco motorhome and have used it a number of times but never used the generator for power. We have started it up for checks but never relied on it. We are doing a trip soon and was going over the motorhome and when I started up the generator I was thinking that I could plug things in and I would have power to those plugs as if I was plugged into a main source of power ie: campground. I don't. I know that it is most likely something stupid that I'm either not doing or should do but don't know what to do. Should it be automatic that when the generator is on - inverter on that I should have power coming to the plugs thoughout the motorhome. Sorry for the stupid question but any advise would be greatly appreciated.
SusanDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 07:48 AM   #2

There is a circuit breaker on the front of the geny next to the start prime button(under the cover) looks like a regular switch, it may be off.

Your inverter probably only powers the front TV.
Old 05-30-2015, 09:22 AM   #3

yes the front tv is working and the ceiling lights but not the microwave or any of the plugs. Last year we had the rv disconnect battery relay solenoid switch changed by an rv dealer; when they were installing it it looked different than the original one - could not make a difference; the original one had a fuse on each side - one 7.5 and the other 5 this new one only has the one fuse? I will check the circuit breaker on the front of the geny; question would the geny start if that circuit breaker was off? thanks for all your help it is greatly appreciated.
SusanDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 10:13 AM   #4

Nothing but the front TV is wired to the inverter. The geny powers everything including the front TV and yes the geny will start if that breaker is off just no 110 output. Ceiling lights are 12 volt.