Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-28-2010, 10:22 AM   #1

Shake Down!

Picked up the trailer on Monday. Was planning to put it in the driveway and outfit it however my driveway is too sloped and I would not have been able to unhitch. Took it to our seasonal site and have spent the last 2 days getting the way we want.

Some initial things:

1 - When pulling the pop-up i didnt really notice much of a difference in terms of driving. I do now. For the most part it pulls fine, leave the tranny in tow/haul mode and it will hold 100 kmh (63 mph) on hills with out any trouble. I am turning 3800 rpm while climbing and the fuel consumption is spectacular. I have also learned all about WD hitches and know I need to remove the sway control bar prior to backing in to a spot.

2 - The orientation we got at the dealer was a bit disappointing. They had several units being delivered that day and were in a rush. We stood our ground and got what we needed.

3 - Had to buy a sewer hose. Other things I picked up were a surge protector and a 30 to 15 amp adapter (so I can plug in at the lake - fridge and lights only - no A/C). I did hear that other dealers provide some of this, but ours didnt

4 - When we got to the site and levelled it, we proceeded to check everything out. We hooked the water up and all of a sudden it was pouring out of the bottom of the trailer. Looked around and couldnt see why, even had the guy beside us look and he said we were missing the valves that close the low point drains. No to be detered, I actually READ THE MANUAL and was informed that the valves were "probably" inside. I found where the drain was, looked inside and underneath the bathroom vanity were the valves. The manual is pretty generic, isnt specifically written for our model.

5 - I have a whole library of stuff to read. It appears that the trailer is assembled by mainly 3rd party components and each part has its own do***entation.

6 - the ho****er tank and valves are a PITA to find and turn. I had to take a couple of drawers out of he kitchen cabinent and found them tucked under the corner of the unit. No mention of this anywhere in the literature

7 - Dealer suggested I register and mail in all my warranty cards for the stuff in the TT. This is to ensure coverage, particularly since we are from Canada. I am not sure why I need to do this considering the WHOLE trailer should be covered, but will do so anyway (on the first rainy day)

8 - Tried everything out (except A/C - too cold) and its all working well. Impressed with the quality

9 - WE LOVE IT.....wish we could take off for an extended trip

Thanks to all of you on the forum who have provided input and advice...very helpful

Soooo....when do I stop being a new member and start posting in the TT section???

Joel and Chantal
A big dog
2008 HD Ultra
Leeburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 11:03 AM   #2

You and I have the same trailer except yours is the G2 model. Yours has the bigger slide out with fridge, couch and closet.
My drains are located outside. I do not have any valves inside except for my bypass valves when I winterize.
Congrats on getting it all set up at the seasonal site.
You are now a member of the "TT" club. You have been since the day you took it home from the dealer.
Did your dealer turn on the furnace for you during your PDI (Pre-Delivery Inspection)? If not, I recommend you do it when you can with the windows and doors open. It will smell for about 10 - 15 minutes.
I posted a picture earlier about one of the minor issues we had with our 25RKS.
The wallpaper border under the window and behind the sink began to bubble and lift. Our dealer replaced the wallpaper border AND placed a piece of plexiglass over it to protect the wallpaper from lifting again.

You may not the same problem, but this is the solution that me and my dealer came up with and submitted it to Jayco as one modification they could make.

Daryl and Sandy
2013 Eagle 314BDS
2014 Ford F150 Platinum, 4 x 4 Crew Cab with Ecoboost
Equal-i-zer Hitch
OurJayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 07:05 AM   #3

Thanks OurJayco

I did in fact see your picture and description of the border in another post. The border on our trailer does not go below the window. As well, from the picture it looks like your kitchen window is bigger than the one in ours.

The dealer did turn the furnace on as part of the PDI. In fact we have been using it the last few evenings as its been rather cool up here. No smell to speak of and the smoke alarm didnt go off.

I'm glad I am now a member of the "brother/sisterhood" of travel trailers. Hoping to spend the weekend in it. First road trip will be in mid May

A couple of questions:

Our dealer said not to walk on the slide area when it was retracted. Has anyone else been told that?

As well, any idea how much weight the roof can hold? I weigh about 205 lbs and I am reluctant to go up there. The ladder we have on the back of the trailer seems to really move when I get on it. I have sent my son up to see what is up there, but he is in the 145 lb range.

thanks
A big dog
2008 HD Ultra
Leeburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 10:04 AM   #4

I am have been on my roof at least 6 times in the past two years and I weigh 250 pounds. I am somewhat careful where I stand. I usually try to walk a close to the sides without sliding off. I go up there to clean/wash/condition the roof and seals.

As far as walking on the slide out while it is in motion, I was not told that, but I have the smaller slide out than you do. Only my couch is on the slide out.

Daryl and Sandy
2013 Eagle 314BDS
2014 Ford F150 Platinum, 4 x 4 Crew Cab with Ecoboost
Equal-i-zer Hitch
OurJayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 01:57 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeburn View Post

As well, any idea how much weight the roof can hold? I weigh about 205 lbs and I am reluctant to go up there. The ladder we have on the back of the trailer seems to really move when I get on it. I have sent my son up to see what is up there, but he is in the 145 lb range.

thanks
Can't remember the weight limit for our tt roof, but dealer was adamant that it would withstand Don's weight (250lbs). He does fine up there and steps lightly of course. As for ladder, the rungs on our ladder really strain under his weight. The ladder is rated at 300lbs. We have had two fail... Jayco will replace it now with a more sturdy model... this was the thread http://www.jaycoowners.com/showthrea...=2362#post2362 . Use the ladder now while it is under warranty so that if it actually fails, you can have it replaced
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 02:01 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeburn View Post

Soooo....when do I stop being a new member and start posting in the TT section???

Joel and Chantal
LOL... yup, you were a member when you bought your Jayco! But if you mean at the forum here... you should be able to post in all sections. Don't hold me to this, but I think when you have something like 25 posts, you become a 'full member'. Then at some point (75-100 posts?) you become a 'senior member'.
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote