Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-26-2017, 08:48 AM   #1

Total Newbie - 1997 Jayco 1006

Hey everyone, my husband & I just purchased a 1997 Jayco 1006 popup camper yesterday & we are so excited to get working on projects to fix it up! The frame is in great condition, but we will have to replace the canvas, so if anyone knows where to get the best deal please share!! Also, we are wondering what the difference is between the 1006 & the 1006 ST RD.. Ours doesn't have the ST RD on the side by the door, just the 1006, but we are wondering how we could make sure which one we have..

His Projects - replacing canvas, replacing the stove/sink counter top, replacing some wood in other places on cabinets, maybe replacing some water line tubing to the shower/toilet.

My Projects - cleaning the canvas of some mildew until we can get it replaced, redoing the curtains & cushion covers & painting all the cabinets. I also kinda want to replace the cushion foam, but I'm unsure of where to get that kind of foam. And work on convincing my husband to replace the vinyl flooring with some leftover laminate wood flooring we have from our living room project last year... Unsure if that would be ok to put down in an RV, or if vinyl is what we really should use/keep.

If anyone has any tips, advice, or ideas to share, please share away!!

Claire & Rick
ceb75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 12:44 PM   #2

On the model question look for a serial number plate, often on the tongue or front or front side of trailer. May have an answer or use the serial to research it or ask a dealer/Jayco to look it up.

On the laminate. A lot of laminate is very sensitive to water damage. You may not want to use it as you are more likely to have spills, rain, etc. on the floor in a popup.

Maybe a simple piece of vinyl flooring, trimmed to fit would be a better fix.

Use the search function at the top menu to look for canvas replacement and help with the other questions. lots of info there!
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 10:04 AM   #3

Thanks for your welcome & reply RogerR!! I will look into thr things you mentioned!

Im about to start my day cleaning with the outside canvas. Was wondering if anyone has ever used Purple Power or Simple Green to wash the canvas? Going to go search the forum but if anyone has any warnings against it please leave a reply here!
ceb75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 07:40 PM   #4

Cleaning canvas with any strong cleaner is almost certainly a VERY bad idea. Look up mold/mildew special chemicals if needed. Otherwise try finding a canvas specific cleaner at an RV store or online.
You may ( high likelihood ) need to re-waterproof after you are done if you use anything than the most gentle cleaners and very light scrubbing.

Canvas is waterproof due to a treatment. Either a wax, artificial waterproofer like silicone or similar. Using strong cleaners will clean that out and you won't have any water repellent properties in the canvass.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 07:54 AM   #5

Welcome from the Texas Coast
Jayco 330RSTS Gone
Jayco G2 bunkhouse Gone
herewego is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1006, popup