Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-15-2010, 04:26 PM   #21

When DH and I were looking to upgrade both TV and from a PUP we decided to go and look campers first. DH was pretty much set on a 5th wheel. After we looked for floorplans we liked we checked the weight. But just didn't feel that was the right choice for us. We found a TT floorplan we both fell in love with. Once we found out the weight we decided to look at TV that will fit in. We looked at many TVs and talked to many dealers along with people who had just purchased their trucks. We decided on 2010 Toyota Tundra 5.7 V8 Crewmax 4 X 4 which was well within the tow limits of our Jay Flight 26RLS with a Equalizer hitch. We have been very happy with both decisions. I guess we decided on the cart before the horse. Have fun and take your time on your decisions. It will be worth it in the long run.

Mary Anne
2011 Jayco Jay Flight 26RLS-Sold
2014 Jayco Eagle 298 RLDS
maromeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 08:31 PM   #22

We have that floorplan, but it is a Baja model. We towed it with a 04' F150 and our "dry weight was 5320 lbs. I don't think you'll be happy with this combo our 5.4L v8 did fine, but slowed considerably in the hills.

My biggest concern for you is that your truck will be overloaded. Check your manual for the GVWR on the truck and if possible weigh your actual truck. The difference will be the Cargo Carrying Capacity. The CCC must include the weight of the hitch, tongue weight of trailer, people in the truck, gas and supplies you'll have in the truck. The curb weight and the CCC should not exceed the GVWR of the truck.

That trailer at 29.1' it is awfully long for a Tacoma. My boss has one and I can't see pulling my trailer with that thing.
jcghill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 09:28 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gkconfer View Post
Interesting. The Jayco 26bh weighs 4725 unloaded. The Hybrid you reference weighs only 300lbs less. Is that 4400lbs loaded or dry weight? And does your 4Runner have a V6 or a V8? Also, I'm curious to know if you travel cross country or keep your trips close to home. I plan to travel far and wide and have been warned on this site, and a Toyota Tacoma forum, that I'm asking for problems if I try to pull a tt in the previously mentioned weight range. I'm taking the warnings very seriously. Unfortunately, the dealers that I've talked with have all assured me that 26bh should be no problem for my Tacoma. Imagine that!

My wife and I love the floorplan of the 26bh, but are now seriously considering a Mini-Lite model in the 3000lb range. We want to be safe and enjoy the experience,but have ruled out the hybrid. Thanks for your help.
The X18D hybrid is 4400 lbs loaded GVW. We have the Starcraft 175RK (Jayco X17C twin) and it's loaded GVW is 3500 lbs. Our Toyota has the 4.0L V6. So far, our trips have all been within 150 miles or so but have included climbing from sea level to 7000 ft in the Sierra's. We plan to head up to Oregon to see our kids next year. You have to remember that you have a large box behind you causing a lot of drag that the wind is going to push around. I do not think that I would want to tow anything heavier than our current trailer with the 4Runner (it's rated for 5,000 lbs). We're at 70% of the tow rating and that seems pretty good on the road and hills so far. We have a E2 Weight Distributing Hitch (2 way sway control as opposed to the Equalizer's 4 way sway control) and the trailer tows very well. Good Luck.
tbwill is offline   Reply With Quote