Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-24-2017, 09:48 PM   #1

Exclamation Water Pump / Pressure Problem 2017 Northpoint

I have a new 2017 Jayco NorthPoint 5th wheel. It has been winterized properly.
The problem is when running on self contained (tank water) the pump is sucking air and will not pressurize the system.
Here's the facts and troubleshooting so far:
- System works fine (no leaks) on city water pressure
- The system will not pressure up on the water pump. The pump will run and sporadically pump water mixed with a high volume of air.
- It is not a pump problem. I have tried 3 pumps.
- When testing the output of the pump (into a pail of water) the output constantly gurgles a lot of air. Run time does not help the air is continuous.
- When I use a bucket of water for my water source (to suction end of pump) the system will pressurize in seconds and operate normally.
- Through all of this, there are no water leaks, not anywhere.
- Somewhere my system is getting air to the pump input side and not allowing it to pressurize.

I've had this brand new trailer almost 4 months and it's been out of commission or in the shop for one reason or another more than I've been able to use it.

If anyone has any ideas as to where I'm getting the air; it would be most appreciated! Jayco Support usually doesn't have a clue. Their reply is "take it to the dealer". My dealer (CW) is worse than awful. They are booked for 6 weeks and say they will probably need the RV for at least 2 weeks to diagnose and fix.

I'm thinking (hoping) it's possibly one of the "water selector" valves (near the city water input. They look and feel cheap, but are next to impossible to access / get to. The factory plumbing and wiring behind that panel is an absolute unprofessional MESS (thank you Jayco).

HELP!! Where is the air coming from?? THAT is what is causing this problem.

Thank you!!
glenn2387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 10:16 PM   #2

I'm just throwing this out there.
Check the check valve inside the hose connector for the city water hose to attach to.
It is to stop the pressure from coming back when your using the pump. But maybe it's stuck open and your sucking air?
Also my hose to the water pump was almost sucked flat, but it never stopped pumping. I replaced it with a solid pex pipe.

You can take the front white face plate off of the valves. Just unscrew everything. And all the plumbing is accessible. I have a picture when I took mine off, but I can't find it now.
That's all I got. Good luck.
2017 F-350 Platinum CC SRW
klassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 05:14 AM   #3

Do you have a Girard Tankless hot water system? If so it could be that. There is a flow control on the back of that and if it's turned down too low it will cause the system to suck dry, this happened to me.
Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 06:00 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by klassic View Post
I'm just throwing this out there.
Check the check valve inside the hose connector for the city water hose to attach to.
It is to stop the pressure from coming back when your using the pump. But maybe it's stuck open and your sucking air?
Also my hose to the water pump was almost sucked flat, but it never stopped pumping. I replaced it with a solid pex pipe.

You can take the front white face plate off of the valves. Just unscrew everything. And all the plumbing is accessible. I have a picture when I took mine off, but I can't find it now.
That's all I got. Good luck.
I believe (or I hope) behind that panel (where all the connections are) is where my air leak is. I unscrewed the entire panel but Jayco left NO slack in the plumbing lines. You can only pull the panel off about 3"; not enough to really see or work on it. What I can see back there is a MESS!
I checked the check valve inside the city water connection. It appears to be seated properly. When I slightly depress it (with the pump trying to pressurize) and water will spray out.
Old 04-25-2017, 06:04 AM   #5

As far as water heater,... no I don't have the tankless; it's a regular 10gal Propane / Elect heater. When the pump is trying to pressure up, I'm pretty certain I can hear the tank "gurgling" from air being injected into it. Once again,.... the system works fine on city water pressure,.. no leaks. I'm not sure if those facts should be aiming me in a certain direction.
Old 04-25-2017, 06:21 AM   #6

Maybe check for kinked line from the water tank.... Just throwing that out there. These problems.can be very frustrating!
Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 06:26 AM   #7

Not trying to be "negative" and I DO appreciate all the replies,.. but,... I would think that there's got to be a break in the line or an open / loose connection for it to be "sucking air". I don't think just a kink would do it. The weird part is that either on city pressure or the pump nothing is leaking. I would think that if air can get sucked it that some "pressure" would allow water to leak and be seen??
Old 04-25-2017, 06:49 AM   #8

These WILL NOT be the problem: Kink in the line, city water check valve.
These might be:
1. Filter bowl just before the pump inlet loose?
2. Winterizing suction line valve not fully closed?
3. Hose clamps on all connections tight between the pump and the fresh water tank?
4. Insufficient water in the fresh water tank?

EDUCATION is what you get when you read the fine print.....
EXPERIENCE is what you get when you don't.
tnchuck100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 06:56 AM   #9

I believe that the sediment filter is on the suction side of the pump, and if not screwed down tight, or with O ring not seated will suck air. If you haven't cleaned the filter in a while its worth checking anyway.
To checkbifvthere many be a pin hole in the suction hose into your fresh water tank, maybe you could disconnect that from pump and connect anothervpiece and try sucking water from a bucket. If it pressurizes then I'd suspect the tank hose.

2020 Outdoors RV Glacier Peak Titanium
2013 Eagle 29.5RKS (traded in)
2013 Ford 6.7L diesel F350
Cosmik Debris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 07:08 AM   #10

I have the same problem and have been unable to figure out what the deal is. WE have a 2017 Jayflight 27BHS. I filled my tanks all the way and I get a good stream and then gurgling and spitting and then back to a good stream and so on.

I have checked connections, taken the filter off, cleaned it and put it back on. But, it still ends up doing the same thing.
scottyt24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 07:11 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyt24 View Post
I have the same problem and have been unable to figure out what the deal is. WE have a 2017 Jayflight 27BHS. I filled my tanks all the way and I get a good stream and then gurgling and spitting and then back to a good stream and so on.

I have checked connections, taken the filter off, cleaned it and put it back on. But, it still ends up doing the same thing.
Have you made the initial purge of all the air in the lines and you still have the problem? Is the water heater full?

Old 04-25-2017, 07:17 AM   #12

Did you check the screen filter on the pump? There should be a small inline filter housing that is held down by a screw on top.

Also check all the fittings on the pump to make sure there is no leaks. Even teflon since you are there already. There are other connections beyond the City water and control panel specific to the pump itself that are most likely the culprit.

Last issue could be that the outdoor shower head is on both valves, but the switch on the head is off. It's a long shot, but sometimes overlooked.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 07:21 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnchuck100 View Post
Have you made the initial purge of all the air in the lines and you still have the problem? Is the water heater full?
Yep, air purged. And water heater was bypassed.
scottyt24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 07:37 AM   #14

Sounds like the winterization suction valve is sill open. jmo
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 07:37 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyt24 View Post
Yep, air purged. And water heater was bypassed.
1. Is the problem ONLY with the pump? City water OK?
2. How much water has been used from the fresh water tank when this "spitting" begins? Or is it ALWAYS a problem?
3. Does the pump run continuously or does it shut off when no water is being used?
4. Do ALL of the faucets do this?
5. Has the system ever worked correctly?

Old 04-25-2017, 07:37 AM   #16

I am along the thought of looking at the winterization valve and hose.

Get a bucket of water and stick the winterizatoin hose in there like you are going through the winterization process. Heck flip the valve over like you are winterizing it and see if that changes everything.

You said everything works fine on city water. I don't see it being the city water check valve and you tested it. It should let water out as you mentioned. No visible leaks so that means that the problem is most likely between the freshwater tank to the pump and check valve or the winterizing side and valve.

Has it ever worked? I saw it was a 2017 and we just got our 2017 but if it is an early 2017 maybe you were camping in it most of last year where it was working fine. It is possible while winterizing that water was in the hose from the freshwater tank to the winterization valve as it is hard to get antifreeze in there. If there was water in this line it can freeze and crack the winterization valve to cause that pin hole that people mentioned. Try and bypass the winterization valve if you can. Not sure how the connection is made. A lot of times they use PEX which is crimped. I really think your issue is going to be in the winterization valve or line from the fresh tank. If it was on the other side of the pump you would most likely have water leaks as the lines would be pressurized by the pump or by the city water.
Old 04-25-2017, 10:16 AM   #17

Glenn...you unscrew the valves off the white face plate and it is all visible
I found the picture
2017 F-350 Platinum CC SRW
klassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 10:33 AM   #18

On my 27BHS, the only time I had this happen was when I forgot to close the valve on the winterizing hose. All I had to do to realize my mistake is put my thumb over that hose when the pump was running. I know others have mentioned this as a possibility.. that's where my vote is at least on the camper like mine.. it's easy to miss.
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 11:19 AM   #19

Has anyone changed the selector valve yet? Might be a bad o-ring.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
UpstateNY-31FS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 12:21 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3'senough View Post
Did you check the screen filter on the pump? There should be a small inline filter housing that is held down by a screw on top.

Also check all the fittings on the pump to make sure there is no leaks. Even teflon since you are there already. There are other connections beyond the City water and control panel specific to the pump itself that are most likely the culprit.

Last issue could be that the outdoor shower head is on both valves, but the switch on the head is off. It's a long shot, but sometimes overlooked.
I have a new (known good) pump that I switched out, removed the inlet pre-fileter and same scenario,.. no go. It's not the outdoor shower.