Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-26-2015, 05:25 PM   #1

Who is towing a 28bhbe with a 1500

I have asked this question in another Thread but did not have all info My trailer is rated for 6100lbs 600lbs of tung weight. The truck weighs 5200 total weight between the truck and trailer max 1s 15k. I have occupants of 500lbs and plan to only load about 1k max. Do I have enough truck for the job? I have 2200 lbs under the gcwr of the 2 combined that is the 15k number.
summit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 05:46 PM   #2

I don't think so. Our 28bhbe has a Tonque weight of 850 when empty. We had a Durango that could tow up 8,700 lbs but I would never be able to tow our new 28bhbe with it. We traded up to a 3/4 ton Yukon XL. Maybe look at the white hawk with similar floor plan for a1500. Good Luck in your search!
CraigL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 06:18 PM   #3

We have one and are towing with a Toyota Tundra. Just started though so I don't have much input. Drive home was smooth. Be put timbrens on it to beef up the back a tad and got a E4 WDH. First camping trip is over easter so we shall see how it does. I found enough people pulling this model with 1/2 tons but it is at the upper upper limit from what I can tell. Our tow capacity is 10,500 but we are really flirting with our payload limit. We are gonna hit the scales once we have it all packed up just for an idea of how much.
MommieMara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 06:44 PM   #4

We have one, TV is a 2008 Nissan Titan Crew cab 2nd year towing no problems to I have installed airlift air bags and REESE dual cam, longest travel time was appox. 140 mile this winter installed LT tires on TV, will update if there is any change. Great camper enjoy
Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 06:53 PM   #5

Any way to swap one lease vehicle for another one, mid lease?
rick danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 07:25 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by summit View Post
I have asked this question in another Thread but did not have all info My trailer is rated for 6100lbs 600lbs of tung weight. The truck weighs 5200 total weight between the truck and trailer max 1s 15k. I have occupants of 500lbs and plan to only load about 1k max. Do I have enough truck for the job? I have 2200 lbs under the gcwr of the 2 combined that is the 15k number.
The 600# sounds a bit light.
I'd suggest reading this post and visiting a CAT Scale.http://http://www.jaycoowners.com/fo...v-tt-3871.html
IMHO the GCWR and max tow weight don't tell you much and you will exceed the Rear GAWR before reaching either of those weights.
The scale is the only way to know if you are safely loaded. Adding suspension "helpers" will not increase the axle's load capacity.
The CAT Scale is your friend.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 07:37 PM   #7

I am not sure about swapping one lease vehicle for another this is my first experience with a lease?? As for the axle weight isn't that a moot point with a weight distribution hitch? The rear is rated for 800lbs according to the book with no distribution hitch and 1200 with one?? I am really new to this I understand that but the numbers are such that It appears that I can do this with minimal issue. I understand that a larger truck would be ideal but is it truly necessary. As I have stated before I plan to travel light we need nothing but cloths and cooking utensils and don't plan on doing any dry camping so we will not travel with any fluids at all in the tanks. Things may change down the road but the tow vehicle is easier to change than the trailer in my opinion.
summit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 08:43 PM   #8

I would say no u don't have enough truck. Can it do it.... Sure but that doesn't mean u have enough truck. That's a heavy trailer and your tongue weight will be over 600lbs...
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 09:45 PM   #9

See my signiture. Put 3500 miles on it last year with no issues. I did put load range E tires on it but no other changes. Our Whitehawk is around 6500 loaded and my tounge weight is around 850-900 lbs depending on how we load it. I did notice the truck rides better with the higher tounge weight.

what are the specifics on your truck? Engine, rear end etc....
Old 03-26-2015, 09:45 PM   #10

And in this post you are still not telling everyone all of your numbers. I said it before and I'll say it again, your trailer is too much for your truck

2012 Ram 2500 Crew Cab 4x4 5.7 Hemi 4.10
2015 Jayco Eagle 284BHBE
2009 Jayco Eagle Super Lite 256RKS
2007 Jayflight 20BH
1997 Fleetwood Cheyenne PUP
1984 Rockwood 1080 - PUP 1969 Coleman PUP
gcloss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 04:47 AM   #11

I'd suggest you pop over to the Ford forum and talk to people towing with your ford. Know the numbers of your truck. I got mixed opinion here on our Tundra some said not enough truck others said its fine, others said I was flirting with the line. The people pulling with Tundra's we able to tell me what they are towing with, how its going and give me tips for our TV.
MommieMara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 08:53 AM   #12
Lost in the Woods

I am towing an Eagle 284BHBE (slightly heavier with same design and similar tongue weight) with a 2010 F150 with a Maxtow package. As you observed, it is not that hard to keep the trailer under the gvwr of the trailer and remain under the rated tow capacity of your truck. Your limiting factor will be your payload.

My trailer's posted dry weight is 6600 with a dry tongue weight of 630 lbs. Delivered according to the sticker on the door is 7200 lbs due to some added options, propane tanks and batteries and the tongue weight dry is 850lbs.

My F150 has a Maxtow package which increases the payload to 1650 lbs and increases the towing capacity to 11,100 lbs over the base model. In 2010, there was also an HD payload package that I wished I had ordered to increase my payload to approximately 2200 lbs so I would be able to carry some additional items. I put only lightweight items in the box of the truck and do not carry large amounts of water so I remain well under my tow capacity and remain within my payload capacity but the payload is close and I cannot load everything I would like to in my truck. I also invested in Propride WD anti-sway hitch which I believe is one of the best available for preventing sway.

When you say 500 lbs of passengers, I presume "the truck" that you have or are planning on purchasing is a Crewcab and these normally have between 1300-1500 lbs of payload depending on options and configuration. If your payload is on the light end, you will likely be overweight no matter how you pack. If you are on the higher end of payload, you will be very close and the only way to get the real picture is to go to a CAT scale, although this may be impossible before the truck or trailer are purchased and going to the CAT scale after the fact may be too late.

Try to ignore the repeated "gotta have a 250/2500" for anything more than a lightweight garden trailer comments, otherwise you put your family and everybody else on the road in danger even if you are well under your half-ton's rated capacities. Remember even if you are 120 lbs over you payload on a 5500 lb truck, that is only 2% over the rated payload of the truck. Despite what many of the barstool lawyers on this forum have said about cancelled insurance or denied insurance claims, I defy someone to provide an actual case where this has occurred. There are many cases where someone is grossly overweight and therefore negligent. Is your dealer/manufacturer going to rely on the 2% overweight to deny your claim ? They might but if you are able to show that whatever failed part was not related to the 2% over weight the dealer/manufacturer would not be successful. If you are towing a lot and in the mountains then the extra torque (800 +) of the big diesels in the 250/2500's might be well worth the additional cost over the currently available torque (300-400) in half tons. Recent head to head tests have shown that the gas motors that are optional in 250/2500 will not climb hills when towing any better than the eco-boosts in Ford half-tons.

The 150's/1500's of today are a completely different machine those of 10 to 15 years ago and are payload and tow capacity rated to safely tow more than older 3/4 tons when properly configured. If you have not yet purchased the truck, look into getting an HD Payload package which is more difficult to find used. I have been drooling over the 2015 F150s which have approximately 3000 to 3300 lbs of payload with an HD Payload. That doesn't mean I would be comfortable carrying the full 3000 lbs, but I would be more comfortable carrying 2000 to 2500 lbs, which my current truck is not capable of. Sorry for the long winded explanation, but your question doesn't permit a simple yes or no answer.
Ottawasteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 09:53 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawasteve View Post
increases the towing capacity to 11,100 lbs over the base model.
That sounds like a lot. What was the towing capacity of the base model?
rick danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 10:46 AM   #14

I'm doing it with a GMC, and I have many posts in this forum about this combination. It can do it, but I'm over on payload, and I won't say it does a "good" job. Adequate? Yes. Safe? I believe so. Good? No.

A lot of it has to do with your comfort level and your intended usage. If you've always towed heavy and have experience, then you understand what to expect and how it should feel, you may be just fine. If you only tow on flat level terrain, and for short journeys and you watch how you're loaded and are meticulous about adjustments and setup, that helps too.

On the other hand, if you're like me and you've towed a lot, but never something this big and heavy (when I started) then you don't have an accurate expectation of what it feels like to be maxed out. As has been said on this forum before, (and I can attest to it first hand) just because the numbers work, doesn't mean it's right for you.

I'm in the market for a new truck because for MY situation, I'm not comfortable. Yours may be completely different. IMHO, I want a 3/4 T truck for that trailer, and am actually shopping for my new truck now.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 08:57 AM   #15
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick danger View Post
That sounds like a lot. What was the towing capacity of the base model?
That would be a worthwhile option but the ride might be a little stiff Meant to say "increases the towing capacity to 11,100 lbs which is approximately 1300 lbs over the base model.
Old 04-02-2015, 09:47 AM   #16

That TT is 1770 lbs heavier (dry) that my 26BH and I hated the way my 2007 1500 towed that weight....the 5.3 and 4 speed transmission just didn't seem up to the task. You can probably do it with a 1500 but it's going to be a two handed (some times death grip) driving experience from underwhelming control. From someone who made the transition from a 1500 to a 2500, you can ignore what I say but I wouldn't want to pull that much weight even with a modern 1500...your are just pushing the limits of that truck.
Iraqvet05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 10:14 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawasteve View Post
that is only 2% over the rated payload of the truck. Despite what many of the barstool lawyers on this forum have said about cancelled insurance or denied insurance claims, I defy someone to provide an actual case where this has occurred.
I assume you are in Canada? If so, I realize that Canadian's aren't nearly as litigation happy as American's are. In the US, everyone sues everyone for the stupidest things. It gives the lawyers something to do I guess. I bet a full 3rd of our TV commercials are for injury accident lawyers and medical malpractice.

Here's the thing. In the US, most civil suits are settled out of court. That said, settlements are private so there isn't any way to show these cases.

If you are in the US, and heaven forbid you are involved in an accident that results in injury or death, and it is learned that you chose to tow overweight, you will be sued. No doubt about it. The ambulance chasers are very good at investigating these things and signing up new clients. Will your insurance cover you? Sure. Then they will drop you like a hot potato and put you on a black list.

Something similar happened to someone I work with, not a towing issue, but with a trampoline in the year. He called almost 10 insurance companies and all denied him a homeowners policy. All because the first company he called did a site inspection and saw the trampoline. Then every other company knew about it within days. He finally got a homeowners policy when one company told him they'll write it up if he removed the trampoline and they could inspect after the fact. That's how it works here.

I'm not saying this is right. It's not. But because it is what it is, why would anyone take a chance on towing overweight? A lawsuit would devastate most people. So no, I am not a lawyer, not even a "bar stool lawyer". But it doesn't take a lawyer to understand this.

I'm betting Can-Am RV isn't willing to accept liability on overweight rigs they send out the door.

I will never tell anyone that it's OK to be over your capacity. And from personal experience I can tell you that even being close to your ratings is not nearly as comfortable of a towing experience as being well under your margins. To quote Bob, towing close to ratings, "Adequate? Yes. Safe? I believe so. Good? No."
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 05:49 AM   #18

Are you talking about a Ram 1500 or a Chevy 1500?
Old 04-14-2015, 10:19 AM   #19
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iraqvet05 View Post
That TT is 1770 lbs heavier (dry) that my 26BH and I hated the way my 2007 1500 towed that weight....the 5.3 and 4 speed transmission just didn't seem up to the task. You can probably do it with a 1500 but it's going to be a two handed (some times death grip) driving experience from underwhelming control. From someone who made the transition from a 1500 to a 2500, you can ignore what I say but I wouldn't want to pull that much weight even with a modern 1500...your are just pushing the limits of that truck.
I have towed with a 2005 Chev 1500 with aftermarket trailer brakes etc. and I can assure you it is nothing like towing with a 2010 F150 Supercrew long box with a Max Tow Package and a 5.4 and 3.73 rear end. Pulling a 28BHBE on a weekly basis last summer with a proper hitch (Propride 3P) at no time resulted in a two handed deathgrip. I have driven many miles with father's 2009 -2500HD Duramax and while the extra torque is necessary for some trailers and would be nice for a 6000 lb trailer, it is not necessary for safety or stability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown View Post
I assume you are in Canada? If so, I realize that Canadian's aren't nearly as litigation happy as American's are. In the US, everyone sues everyone for the stupidest things. It gives the lawyers something to do I guess. I bet a full 3rd of our TV commercials are for injury accident lawyers and medical malpractice.

If you are in the US, and heaven forbid you are involved in an accident that results in injury or death, and it is learned that you chose to tow overweight, you will be sued. No doubt about it. The ambulance chasers are very good at investigating these things and signing up new clients. Will your insurance cover you? Sure. Then they will drop you like a hot potato and put you on a black list.

I will never tell anyone that it's OK to be over your capacity. And from personal experience I can tell you that even being close to your ratings is not nearly as comfortable of a towing experience as being well under your margins. To quote Bob, towing close to ratings, "Adequate? Yes. Safe? I believe so. Good? No."

Doc, while normally I would ignore you comments, I do not want others to be mislead by your complete lack of understanding of the legal systems of both Canada and the U.S. Lawsuits in Canada are usually governed by the province where the accident occurred. In Ontario, billboard and TV advertising is just starting in Ontario and is not as prevalent as Wisconsin, New York, Nevada or many other U.S. states, but I can assure you that for accidents involving serious injury, you are just as likely to be sued in Ontario as any other state, regardless of whether you are towing over capacity, under capacity or not towing at all. Being sued often has nothing to do with fault or negligence, being sued successfully has everything to do with fault and negligence. In order for an injured party to successfully sue based on somebody towing at 2% over payload capacity they would have to convince a judge that being 2% over payload capacity materially contributed to the accident and the injuries in question. Put another way, is the injured party able to show on the balance of probabilities, more likely than not, that the accident would not have occurred had the tow vehicle been towing within legal limits ?

Somebody who is A) towing at 60 to 70 % capacity for length and weight and 2% over on their payload and travelling at 50 mph in the right lane with a properly equipped 2015 F150/1500 is far less likely to be sued than B) an F250/F350 at 90% capacity across the board travelling at 75 mph because that is the posted speed limit and the 800 ft/ft lbs of his 6.7PS allows him to whip out and pass at will. Compliance with legal limits does not equate to safety and lack of fault or non-negligence. A) is far less likely to be involved in an accident in the first place or have to worry about his/her insurance coverage. I will take my many years of actual courtroom experience over barstool legal advice any day of the week.

I was not suggesting that it was okay to tow overweight and you are taking one towing criteria, of many, completely out of context. Provided the OP loads conservatively without full tanks, he will likely be under 70 to 75% of his towing capacity. The posted weight of a Jayflight 28BHBE is 6135lbs and a battery and propane tanks might add a couple of hundred pounds for 6335 lbs and the OP does not say there were any added options so this trailer could be camp ready at under 7000lbs with a 12% tongue weight of less than 850lbs. He also does not say that he will be full-timing or towing constantly through the mountains which might also make the extra torque in the diesels a must have. The suggestion that a 2500/F250 is "necessary" to pull the trailer and that a properly equipped modern half-ton is not safe or comfortable to pull this trailer is based on lack of knowledge. They say ignorance is bliss, but not when it is offered as guidance to others.

If the OP had said he was pulling a 12,500 lb dry trailer with a half-ton, I would readily agree that it was too much trailer and even unsafe for the TV, however that is not the case. At the end of the day, it is important to consider the capabilities or ratings of a particular truck and make an informed decision whether the TV actually has the options necessary to be capable for the job or whether his particular application justifies the additional cost of an F250/2500.

Based on my recent review of Ford's tow ratings the advertised ratings usually contain in the small print that the trucks are equipped with tow packages and/or payload packages. An F-150 with a max-tow and HD payload package does not handle the same empty (harsher ride) or towing as a base model F-150 but that is a trade-off I am willing to accept. All of the truck manufacturers advertise their maximum towing capacities in the same commercial as their EPA MPG's although the trucks that have the max tow capacities are not equipped the same as the truck with the advertised MPG.
Old 04-14-2015, 11:42 AM   #20

Torque and ratio mean alot. Go with a lower geared ratio if possible. Get a truck with some torque to it. Yeah..you can get a diesel w/800 lb.ft. of torque, but you'll pay for it in every way (cost of the vehicle, maintenance, etc.). There's alot of gas engines out there that can definately do the job. Mine has about 420ft.lb of torque (modified) and 400 hp. with a 3.73 locking rear and 19000lb. GCWR. I have no problem towing my 8700lb trailer (with cargo). It wouldn't hurt to have all the coolers either.(trans, p/s, engine oil)
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote