Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-09-2016, 08:01 AM   #1
Why no air dryers on the Senecas??

So when I got my unit I found the air tank drain valve way under neath, so I added a line and mounted the drain on the generator frame so I could drain it daily. Every time I did this it was full of rusty water. I contacted freightliner and was told the unit had no air dryer, I then contacted Jayco and was told they do not spec their units with air dryers. As a heavy duty mechanic I realize the importance of clean dry air for proper air bag and brake function so am now installing one cost 2700.00 out of pocket seems like something Jayco should be doing as freezing air systems could be a safety factor . Any one else experience this?

ready2retire&drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 08:33 AM   #2
Our previous motorhome a 40' diesel pusher which rode on a custom chassis built by the same large company had the filter. Where it was mounted always made it a pain in the neck to change.
It's wise that you are able install a drain and filter system. It's hard to imagine why Freightliner wouldn't have the system on an air-equipped chassis.
Perhaps the "disconnect" happened between Freightliner, the chassis extender company, and Jayco.

abarkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 06:13 PM   #3
I have discovered the same thing on my new 2016 Seneca. I've done a lot of research over the past week and luckily have some good friends in the trucking industry. Air dryers are not required but are a very good idea if you do any cold weather traveling. I've learned that it is short starts/trips that are an issue as that is when moisture is created and does not have a chance to evaporate out of the system. I'm adding an air dryer for about $1,500 (I was quoted $3,100 which my trucking friends said was outrageous, so I made more calls). The air dryer will require annual maintenance/change out of the filter, but it will also 1) ensure break lines don't freeze up, which leaves you stranded, and 2) protects the system from rust. I am going to contact Jayco to give them the feedback, but I'm sure they assume most RVs are being used in warm weather, so they don't order the chassis with the air dryers.
stmccormick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 09:58 AM   #4
Added Dryer

I too had this concern and was told the same thing. I added the dryer and it cost $1800 at Freightliner. Money very well spent.
tchristopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 11:22 AM   #5
Its all about price point

retired Jayco sales guy, I never saw a Seneca with air dryer. Price point is what a regional sales rep will tell us sales folks.
I have driven trucks since a pup on the farm in Iowa, not having a air dryer is a disaster soon to happen.
I always recommend to Seneca customers to add on ASAP, better yet put it in the deal upfront. Saves worry and out of pocket later.
Should Jayco have specified one, yes. Freightliner shouldn't even build it without one.
2015 F-450 XLT 440 HP Power Stroke 26.5K Custom Resse F/W, Manual Regen, 19.5 Rubber
2014 Oreion Sand Reeper 4x4 Toy steel everywhere, street legal and licensed, 5 speed manual, 3 cylinder DOHC "Chery" engine and 2 door fun.
2015 Jayco Sesimic 4212 Extreme Weather Package, Dual Pane Windows, Side and rear Patios, 480 watt Zamp Solar Pkg 6 AGM batteries, Residential Fridge, custom Dishwasher, 5500 watt Onan and lot of problems.
Loboclone is offline   Reply With Quote