Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-12-2016, 12:43 PM   #1

Winterizing toilet

Hey guys - we have a new 16xrb and we used it once. We did not put water in any of the tanks but we did use the toilet - no solid waste - and dumped when we left campground.

When we used it there was antifreeze and pressure when toilet was flushed. Pressure and antifreeze eventually disappeared.

We dumped and flushed the black tank.

Do we need to pressurize anything or just dump antifreeze into toilet to winterize it?

Do we need to deodorize too?

Please respond ASAP as we would like to winterize this weekend?

Thank you!
cmuel4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 01:06 PM   #2

Not sure exactly where you are in the winterizing process? Have you already blown out your water lines and added antifreeze? You said you didn't add any water to tanks but there was already antifreeze/water in there if you flushed your toilet. I usually blow compressed air thru lines (30 lb.) and open one faucet at a time. Make sure to include outside shower if you have one. I also empty my water heater and open all my low point drain valves. Once I feel I have evacuated all the water possible, I pour a few cups down each sink to fill the p-trap and also add a half quart or so in the black tank and grey tank. Then I coat the toilet seal with Vaseline to prevent dryout and cracking..
That's my process but others actually use the water pump to fill all lines with antifreeze. If you siphon antifreeze into you system, make sure you turn on the water heater by-pass valves so the AF doesn't get into your water heater. For the last 5 years I have not had and broken valves or split pipes due to freezing doing it with compressed air and little antifreeze.
Deodorizing is not necessary if all have been flushed out are clean.
You should go with the process you feel most comfortable with.
Also, for more information, go up top of this site to the SEARCH button and enter WINTERIZING. You will get all kinds of threads that will help.

Happy RVing,
Jeff
Best friend wife, Di, and dog Cooper. RETIRED
havnfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 01:10 PM   #3

Thank you for the quick reply.

We didn't use any pumps or water that weekend so everything else is still winterized.

The toilet was all that was used and never ran the pump.

After using the toilet we would dump a little water in the toilet before flushing.
cmuel4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 02:24 PM   #4

The cold water line to the toilet may need to be either blown out as mentioned or refilled with antifreeze.
Check your owners manual for specific winterizing instructions, and using the pump fill the water line by flushing the toilet until the pink stuff appears.

They sell plenty of the pink stuff antifreeze at many places including Walmart this time of year.

Some petroleum jelly applied with a cotton swab to the toilet seal is also a good idea as mentioned.

Let us know how it goes and when you are ready to dewinterize next year.
abarkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 04:53 PM   #5

I agree with the others but want to note that the factory and the dealership undoubtedly ran water through the system to check for leaks and proper pump operation.

Based on that extremely likely thought, you must winterize as if you used water in all the taps, the kitchen and bath drain, outside shower if you have one, etc.

Don't forget to drain the water heater and fresh water tank. There is probably a little water in one or both.
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 05:43 PM   #6

Wait, not sure I understand. You winterized your rig, filling lines with antifreeze. Then you turned off your pump and your lines were not pressurized. At some point you did a "dry flush" of your toilet, causing the antifreeze above the drain and whatever antifreeze was in the lines to fall into the black tank? Is that what you are saying?

If so, I would either pour some antifreeze in the bowl to keep the seal wet, or get some toilet bowl seal lubricant and pour that in the bowl. If you did what I enumerated, you are fine and don't need to re-winterize anything else.

We have done this in the past... winterize the camper and go for a late trip to NYC for a pre-Christmas trip. We will bring a couple gallon jugs of water for midnight potty trips for the wife and toddler. After the trip, we drain and flush the black tank like normal, without ever turning the pump on or putting water through our lines.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 06:40 PM   #7

You mentioned that you flushed the black tank. I assume with water if you have a tank flusher installed. You should push antifreeze through the black tank flush with a hand pump or similar.
Biggest Weber fan in the world.
Bucko06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 11:31 PM   #8

Thumbs up

Hey CM, welcome to the forum!!!
Old 11-18-2016, 09:11 PM   #9
Lost in the Woods

Petroleum jelly isn't good for rubber gaskets and seals. Using something like pool and spa gasket lube won't distort the seal.
Gman1372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 11:23 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gman1372 View Post
Petroleum jelly isn't good for rubber gaskets and seals. Using something like pool and spa gasket lube won't distort the seal.

X2
I use pool and spa silicone. Stuff with petroleum base is not good for rubber.

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote