Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-25-2016, 01:31 PM   #1

Joe

We are very new to Jayco and to this Forum. Just bought a new 2016 Precept 35UP and have isolated a house battery issue where I need fast knowledge. We picked up our unit in Knoxville, stayed in the area for 2 days to check out all the systems and then left to Islamorada for the winter. During the journey down we noticed an issue regarding the house batteries discharging very quickly without any form of charge, either from generator or 50 amp service. After arriving I checked the house batteries to discover that they were dry. I added proper amount of distilled water but neither will hold a charge. In fact, the first battery, or rear side battery becomes hot enough to boil the water inside during charging. I immediately disconnected battery cables from system to avoid explosive venting.

Because the service center where I bought this unit is closed and will be closed until Tuesday, my questions revolve around the use of this unit while batteries are disconnected. We do not have yet have access to 50 amp or even 30 amp power. My wife is preparing our new Precept with all the things we call home and is using the generator to run the AC and other lights and electronics. Will we cause any damage to the electrical system by using only the generator with the batteries completely disconnected?
Joe0711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 01:50 PM   #2

Welcome to the forum Joe0711. Congrats on the new Jayco too! I don't have the answer to your question but I'm sure others on here will be glad to help out. Have fun with your new rig.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 23MB Elite
Previous RV's, 1988 33-foot Barth Class A and 1994 Flagstaff Pop-Up
Desert RVers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 10:07 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe0711 View Post
Will we cause any damage to the electrical system by using only the generator with the batteries completely disconnected?
No.
abarkl is offline   Reply With Quote