Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-27-2015, 05:42 AM   #1
Site Team

Driving Thru Atlanta

Someone recently said they were wanting to know the driving conditions thru Atlanta.

Here in a tongue in cheek way are the RULES.

1. You must first learn to pronounce the city name, Atlanta. Old-timers are still allowed to call it Alana.

2. The morning rush hour is from 5:00 am to noon. The evening rush hour is from noon to 7:00 pm. Friday's rush hour starts on Thursday morning.

3. The minimum acceptable speed on I-285 is 80 mph. On I-75 and I-85, your speed is expected to at least match the highway number. Anything less is considered 'Wussy'.

4. Forget the traffic rules you learned elsewhere. Atlanta has its own version of traffic rules. For example, Ferraris and Lamborghinis owned by sports stars go first at a four-way stop. Cars/trucks with the loudest muffler go second. The trucks with the biggest tires go third. The HOV lanes are really designed just for the slow Floridians passing through who are used to hogging the left lane everywhere.

5. If you actually stop at a yellow light or stop sign, you will be rear ended, cussed out, and possibly shot. Unless there is a police car nearby.

6. Never honk at anyone. Ever. Seriously. It's another offense that can get you shot.

7. Road construction is permanent and continuous. Detour barrels are moved around for your entertainment pleasure during the middle of the night to make the next day's driving a bit more exciting. Generally, city roads other than the main streets have more potholes and bumps (usually speed bumps) than most dirt roads in the countryside.

8. Watch carefully for road hazards such as drunks, possums, skunks, dogs, barrels, cones, furniture, cats, mattresses, shredded tires, squirrels, rabbits, and crows.

9. Be aware that spelling of street names may change from block to block, e.g., Clairmont, Claremont, Clairmonte.

10. If someone actually has their turn signal on, wave them to the shoulder immediately to let them know it has been “accidentally activated”.

11. If you are in the left lane and only driving 75 in a 55-65 mph zone, k, e.g., you are considered a road hazard and will be “flipped off” accordingly. If you return the flip, you'll be shot.

12. For summer driving, it is advisable to wear potholders on your hands.

13. There are a lot of streets name Peachtree!
2017- F350 6.7 PSD Lariat FX4,SRW, SB,CC
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 08:19 AM   #2

Norty- Hilarious, but true. The best way thru Atlanta is via another state! Although a couple of years ago we were returning from Florida to Indiana and went thru Atlanta on Christmas Eve around 5pm and never slowed below 60mph, I couldn't believe it. That day and maybe Christmas Day would be it. All other bets are off. For any of you that have never traveled thru Atlanta on I-75, make sure you always stay to the left or you'll miss [or can't get over] the I-75 south lanes. I still contend that going thru town is better than I-285 because both are parking lots but I-285 will add 30 extra miles to the trip. You'll sit in traffic either way.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 09:30 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCNASHVILLE View Post
snip... I still contend that going thru town is better than ...snip... because both are parking lots but ...snip... will add ...snip... extra miles to the trip. You'll sit in traffic either way.
X2

I delivered trailers for Jayco several years ago. Initially, I avoided going through any major city and would take the perimeter route(s). Those outer routes ALWAYS had heavy traffic in both directions and were longer. In the end, compared to going through a city, they took just as long or longer, had as just much or more traffic, and added miles.

After many trips, I tried going through the cities with many trips through St.Louis and a few through Atlanta.

Going through cities means you'll encounter VERY HEAVY traffic during rush hour(s). BUT, when going through town, you'll have heavy traffic for 1/2 the trip!: In the morning, traffic will be light leaving the city and the reverse at the end of the day.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 09:35 AM   #4

After niavely driving into Atlanta at mid afternoon on a weekday I experienced the best the place has to offer ---Absolutely nothing but terror and frustration. In places 10 -12 lanes wide [each side] and exits and merge lanes seemingly everywhere. Overhead signage is at best laughable. And when you finally pass thru downtown and start to catch your breath, you find out getting out of town is worse than getting into town.

Joke : Best to drive thru Atlanta via another state, is NOT A JOKE!! On the return trip we went back roads and never again got anywhere near this disaster of a place. Am I kidding?? What do you think? Once is all that it takes.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 10:40 AM   #5

That is really funny and so true. I haven't taken the motorhome through there yet but have towed our trailer down there and then 285 east to 985. Sometimes rush hour traffic if better because you can go slower but then there is always one yo-yo or two that won't let you change lanes no matter how much warning you give them.

Looking forward to trying this next year with our new to us Precept 29UM.

Bonnie
digbydoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 10:57 AM   #6

Went through Atlanta ONCE with a travel trailer. Never again. Now I find that the best way to go through Atlanta is via Tennessee and Alabama.

That said, it is a pretty town in some areas.

Charlie, Meg and Corky the Maltese Dog
2016 Redhawk 29XK "Corky's House"
Freeport, FL
corky111111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 12:38 PM   #7

Here's a few things that help explain traffic controll in theATL
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpeg   image.png  
"Gonna buy a home on wheels see
how it feels going mobile"
mothernaturesson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 12:45 PM   #8

More fromAtlanta
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpeg  
Old 12-27-2015, 01:35 PM   #9

NEVER AGAIN!!! I65 or state hwys south thru tn and Alabama. Atlanta may be a factor in reducing overall traffic on I75. Sorry East coasters the I65 alternative might not make sense for you. Think I'd sell and buy a new TT when I got to Fla just to avoid driving thru Atlanta.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 02:18 PM   #10

What's not to love! But seriously, I'm lucky enough to live 40 miles or so north of the city, which by the way encompasses like 15 counties and work here too, but the urban sprawl can make my 15 mile commute 30 minutes or more when school is in. If I had to commute through that every day I'd give myself a self inflicted wound and try for disability! Thank God for the mountains just north of here.
Attached Thumbnails
image.png  
Old 12-27-2015, 02:20 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mothernaturesson View Post
What's not to love! But seriously, I'm lucky enough to live 40 miles or so north of the city, which by the way encompasses like 15 counties and work here too, but the urban sprawl can make my 15 mile commute 30 minutes or more when school is in. If I had to commute through that every day I'd give myself a self inflicted wound and try for disability! Thank God for the mountains just north of here.
So how do you get to them mountains from Cummings? LOL
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 03:25 PM   #12

Talking

Sometimes we drive up through Spartanburg!
Old 12-27-2015, 04:07 PM   #13

Never never

make your maiden TT trip anywhere near Atlanta. Especially at night. There are exits on the right left under and over.. And no one will give you an inch.

We'll be getting our TT soon and going to Anderson SC then to FL.. I'd sooner try 26 first, which involves some backtracking.. or the scenic two lane road through Athens to Macon.
With all those left turns...
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 04:22 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mothernaturesson View Post
Sometimes we drive up through Spartanburg!
Oops! Blew that joke, I meant to type Spartansburg. LOL
Old 03-30-2017, 05:31 PM   #15

ATTENTION:
Anyone traveling through Atlanta...
I-85 NB overpass collapses as crews battle massive fire.
Old 03-30-2017, 06:09 PM   #16
Site Team

I will be traveling way around it (east) Sunday morning heading up to Hiawassee GA. But then a few days later, I get to travel through Chicago (without the TT) as my daughter lives in downtown Chicago.. no problem lived there for 21 years:-(

Don

My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 12:10 PM   #17

I've never had any trouble getting through Atlanta until this last time. The 75/85 signs were always confusing to me, I wanted to be on 75 and they'd make me think I got lost and was on 85. Well last month I actually did miss the left onto 75 and ended up driving for 20 minutes on 85 until I realized I was in the wrong place.
Had to stop and program my navigation to find my way back to 75 north.
2016 Sunset Trail Super Lite ST250RB for sale
Next unit: Jayco Eagle 336fbok
FishAr is offline   Reply With Quote