Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-21-2017, 03:45 PM   #1

I Can't be the only one

I have a very smart frame of mind. Sometimes, it has caused me a little bit of trouble. Though I do sometimes observe and wonder if anyone else thinks this way from time to time.

As there are times when I come to the forums and while surfing around in my boredom, my mind starts to wander. When I look at some of these thread titles, it takes a lot of self-discipline not to click on some thread titles and just throw out a quick smart sarcastic reply.

For example (please no one take this personally, I am just making up examples, any relation to a real thread is purely coincidental)

thread title:

Total Noob Question here

What my mind immediately wants to answer with:

No, thats not a noob question, that's an idiot question

-or-

thread title:

Help, awning won't retract

That's because it's broken dumb

thread title:

New Owners of ...

Oh, thats cute, no go play in the corner with it while the adults talk

Of course, I know most would not take very kindly to these types of answers, but I can't be the only one. Or can I?
2021 Argo Aurora 8x8/2008 Arctic Cat M1000 SnoPro
Previous: Komfort 5er/Jamboree MH/Lance Cabover/Jayco Whitehawk 25BHS TT
NVGun40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 03:54 PM   #2
Site Team

Without those threads and others like them this would be just another dead forum with little traffic. New members have questions we may deem elementary in nature, things malfunction and the owners have questions, and yes of course owners want to show off their new toys.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 03:57 PM   #3

No, you're not the only one. Most forums would ban me if I posted what comes to mind at times.

Glad you had the courage to make a thread like this.
Equalizer WDH
TV 2018 F150 FX4 SC 3.5EB TP/MT
jimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 04:10 PM   #4

Ok

so don't visit and don't read them. I'm sure someone else thought your questions were irrelevant back in the day.
Old 02-21-2017, 04:33 PM   #5

I treat this more like NASCAR. I wait to see threads with
Can I tow... or
Ford is better... or
Which WD hitch should I...
And then click to watch the carnage.

JOF can be a spectator sport, and some of us just come to see the crashes...
(Which, come to think of it, is why I clicked on THIS tread!) LOL

ETA: and in case you haven't noticed, I'm not above dropping a splitter onto the track to see what might happen...
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 04:34 PM   #6

I Can't be the only one

I have a neighbor who purchased a new coachman two years ago. In that time he has taken it out exactly twice. Due to the limited space on the side of his house (between his house and mine) I offered to allow him to park his trailer at the back side of my property (I have a very large corner lot). I showed him where he could back in (straight off the road, no obstacles at all, lots of side to side and front and rear maneuvering room; in fact he can drive right through the property swing wide out to and even across the road, and then pretty much back straight in). -- Took his wife and him, over an hour and of half of backing, turning, forward and back and lots of yelling, etc. to get it parked.
Then, for his first trip out, they were prepping the trailer and he comes to my door saying he is having a problem. "I hooked up the hose and have had the water turned on for over a half hour and I still have no water in my tank, what does this mean?"
(he had the hose hooked to the city water supply instead of the fresh water tank fill up)
A half hour later he comes to me and says his main lights won't work. He actually asks "what does this mean?"
(He had not turned the switch for the main lights that is located on the panel by the door to the on position, he was only switching the switches on the lights themselves)
So they load up and head out. Three hours later he calls me from the campsite. "I can't get my refrigerator to turn on, the little light just keep blinking, what does this mean?"
After about five minutes I talk him through getting everything working. (He hadn't turn the gas on at the propane tank so the refrigerator (or anything else for that matter) could run on propane).

By this time, the voice in my brain is screaming: what does this mean? -- it means you need to take the trailer back to the dealer and turn it in dumb

My wife is not immune to my sarcasm.
On one camping trip, just after setting things up, she is standing in the door, and I am just outside. She looks up at the switch panel and asks, "honey, what does this switch do?" as she is flipping the switch that turns the opposite side outdoor light above the outside shower on and off. I immediately intensely reply in an almost panic, "Oh my God, DON'T SWITCH THAT!! You didn't switch that did you?"
She frantically flipped it back off, looking utterly panicked, "what? did I break something?" "What?" "What?"

Then I giggled, and laughed, and calmly turned away, saying "oh, its actually nothing, just the outdoor light on the other side of the trailer."

She called me a "****head". I still laugh at getting her on things like this.
Old 02-21-2017, 04:37 PM   #7

Momma always taught me to think about something before you say it or write it. And then if you write it, read it twice before sending it.

While smart-*** comments may seem funny to you, they can be very demoralizing to the person who asked the question, especially if they did it in all sincerety. Maybe they really are not all that smart, but providing an answer rather than a smart-*** remark is the right thing to do.

But hopefully you've now got this off your chest by posting your answers to (allegedly) made up questions.
dewey02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 04:44 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabman View Post
Without those threads and others like them this would be just another dead forum with little traffic. New members have questions we may deem elementary in nature, things malfunction and the owners have questions, and yes of course owners want to show off their new toys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveT View Post
so don't visit and don't read them. I'm sure someone else thought your questions were irrelevant back in the day.
Look folks, I am not meaning to insult or be mean to anyone. I have a dark and sarcastic sense of humor. I really do understand, a lot of people have simple questions, which to them are very serious and to us seasoned people sound ridiculous and simple. I do sincerely enjoy helping new people out and am always happy to see peoples new rigs and help them learn.
I know there was a time I asked simple questions and made mistakes and learned a lot. I know I couldn't have learned anything if not for the patience of people.

What I am really trying to convey is humor. You know, joke, sarcasm. These are fleeting quick, SARCASTIC thoughts, which I know are rude and insensitive. Definitely NOT to be taken seriously, meant to be LAUGHED at (even if only by myself). I am not saying I would actually act on any of these thoughts. What do you think I am, A Marine or something? lol

Hasn't anyone else ever thought or said something sarcastic? Or are we too busy getting offended?
Old 02-21-2017, 04:49 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewey02 View Post
Momma always taught me to think about something before you say it or write it. And then if you write it, read it twice before sending it.

While smart-*** comments may seem funny to you, they can be very demoralizing to the person who asked the question, especially if they did it in all sincerety. Maybe they really are not all that smart, but providing an answer rather than a smart-*** remark is the right thing to do.

But hopefully you've now got this off your chest by posting your answers to (allegedly) made up questions.

Again, this is why I put this in "Jokes and Humor". I completely agree with think twice and proofread before you write.
Old 02-21-2017, 04:53 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bankr63 View Post
I treat this more like NASCAR. I wait to see threads with
Can I tow... or
Ford is better... or
Which WD hitch should I...
And then click to watch the carnage.

JOF can be a spectator sport, and some of us just come to see the crashes...
(Which, come to think of it, is why I clicked on THIS tread!) LOL

ETA: and in case you haven't noticed, I'm not above dropping a splitter onto the track to see what might happen...
Aye, using your analogy I can see a couple crashes were already caused. I tried sending a clean up crew; but I will probably be penalized a lap...
Old 02-21-2017, 04:56 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVGun40 View Post

Hasn't anyone else ever thought or said something sarcastic? Or are we too busy getting offended?
Oh yes in my thoughts and with friends I am sarcastic, a skeptic, a cynic, and a realist.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 05:10 PM   #12

I can relate with the OP's post.

For my day job, I process (and create my own) trouble tickets that come in from 50K + users every day... it's a pet peeve in the industry. When I get an email with a subject like "Hey... so I was thinking" I skip that one and move onto the email that says "My 2016 SharePoint instance just went down, please advise".

I don't think anyone is saying the posts with ambiguous subjects have bad content - the problem is they just don't get read and the OP's often severely limit the audience of their posts by not providing a complete thought in the subject line.

To be fair, the subject line of *This Thread* that we are on right now - is a prime example of what not to do with the subject of a post you want people to read... but a lot of us ended up reading it anyways

I do find that ironic... calling others out for posting ambiguous subject matter with a post that contains the most ambiguous subject I've seen all day

Yes, this definitely belongs in the humor section. I did get a laugh out of it FWIW
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 05:34 PM   #13

I sometimes wonder if

"I searched but didn't find an answer" (to something that was discussed multiple times) really means "I haven't looked but I know some people will be annoyed I didn't so I'll toss that out"

My sarcasm gets edited all the time. It's not that I'm insensitive to the question I just think of a funny retort and want to use it.

And predictable forum crashes are fun.

The views expressed may not be mine in five minutes.
Old 02-21-2017, 05:55 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVGun40 View Post
I've thought of exactly the same things. What I *didn't* do was waste other's time & energy & potentially offend those who are less "knowledgeable" as I.

if someone want's to show off their pop-up camper I likely could care less, but who am I to dampen their enthusiasm? I'm a recent arrival to this forum but not to forums/camping/trailers/etc. in general.

Have a little respect for others and treat them with dignity, until they exhibit that they don't deserve it.

Edit: this came across as a bit "aggressive". Didn't mean it to be.
Old 02-21-2017, 06:05 PM   #15

I feel we all need to lighten up a bit and not get so offended. That's the problem with the world today...everyone gets offended at the smallest things. I've been chastised for using "weight police" before (and I wasn't at a Jenny Craig meeting).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Magnolia Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 06:53 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnolia Tom View Post
I feel we all need to lighten up a bit and not get so offended. That's the problem with the world today...everyone gets offended at the smallest things. I've been chastised for using "weight police" before (and I wasn't at a Jenny Craig meeting).

I have come to learn that being offended is a matter of choice made by the person who is offended.

It is not always easy to do, but when something is said, or seen, or experienced which goes against a persons moral/religious/political or any other sensibility, that person is capable of making the choice to ignore the circumstance and not be offended.

While I have not yet mastered this skill myself completely myself, I have been finding that the more I practice doing this the easier it becomes.

That is until it comes to my daughters boyfriend. In that case he is offensive to me just because he is dating my daughter.... Such would be the same for any boy interested in my daughter.
I know I saw it in the "Dad handbook" somewhere.... a whole paragraph on "Thou shall not like any boy who considers or likes or whom your daughter considers, likes, or dates!"
Old 02-21-2017, 06:55 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvgun40 View Post
i have come to learn that being offended is a matter of choice made by the person who is offended.

It is not always easy to do, but when something is said, or seen, or experienced which goes against a persons moral/religious/political or any other sensibility, that person is capable of making the choice to ignore the circumstance and not be offended.

While i have not yet mastered this skill myself completely myself, i have been finding that the more i practice doing this the easier it becomes.

That is until it comes to my daughters boyfriend. In that case he is offensive to me just because he is dating my daughter.... Such would be the same for any boy interested in my daughter.
I know i saw it in the "dad handbook" somewhere.... A whole paragraph on "thou shall not like any boy who considers or likes or whom your daughter considers, likes, or dates!"
amen!!
Old 02-21-2017, 07:02 PM   #18

Aren't there some things offensive enough that can't be ignored.

The views expressed may not be mine in five minutes.
Old 02-21-2017, 07:03 PM   #19

Whatever that thread title was!

Boy Gunny - there are some really thin-skinned, PC's out there aren't there (have you ever seen such a short sentence with 3 "there"'s in it?). Wonder how some of these folks would do in a big berthing area? Jeff (the Coastie)
JEFF1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 07:10 PM   #20

My opinion is this: a person shouldn't be offended (and shouldn't claim to feel offended) for something said that doesn't apply to them.

Example: if I said I was treated like a red headed step child, the only people who could or should be offended are people who are (were) in fact a step child with red hair and who was mistreated.

Ok. Rant over. I don't want to offend anyone with my opinions

Magnolia Tom is offline   Reply With Quote