Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-29-2017, 12:03 PM   #1

Advice to newbies taking their trailer in for warranty or service work at dealership

Putting a blog post together and looking for good advice to include for new owners taking their trailers in to dealership for warranty or service work. I learned a few lessons the hard way, hoping to help others.

Please let me know what other advice you'd include:
  • Walk through your trailer with the Service Rep detailing everything you need fixed and what's wrong with it, make sure they're taking notes.
  • Take pictures of each item so you can compare before and after (if it's a visual defect). I suggest taking a video as well.
  • Ask about their security system and what measures they take to protect your trailer.
  • Do not sign any documents that has anything stating the dealership is not responsible for your trailer if damaged and/or theft occurs. Cross this out and insist they accept responsibility for your trailer while it's in their possession.
Beach Cart XL
GlampinLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 12:39 PM   #2

Careful with the battery. If you leave it attached and connected, chances are it will be a paper weight in a couple weeks when you go back to pick it up. You should either remove it or "disconnect" it.

Happened to me a while back when I brought my trailer in for some warranty service. When I went to pick it up, it was daylight out, so I didn't need lights to see what they had fixed. It was parked where I could just pull my truck around to pick it up. I went operate the power tongue jack and nadda. Luckily, I knew that I could hook it up to the truck to operate the jack, and was able to get home. But now my battery is permanently damaged.

I'm not too worried about it, it's due to be replaced anyway, and I will be upgrading, but it's something to be aware of when you drop your trailer for service.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 01:03 PM   #3

I redo my initial PDI when I pick up the camper, on my own.

The last time I had repairs done (the only time) it was a wiring related issue. They fixed 2 problems and created 3 more. I caught the issues before I left the dealer, fixed on the spot.

People just have to be aware of the '2 steps forward, one step back' reality that sometimes occurs.
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 01:12 PM   #4

I avoid just 'telling' the service writer about warranty or other work on a walk-through and then relying on their notes, verbal interpretation skills, and memory: I give them a printed list. A also put a piece of blue 'painters' tape on the trailer corresponding to each point on my written list.

I also disconnect the battery.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 01:22 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanAZ View Post
I avoid just 'telling' the service writer about warranty or other work on a walk-through and then relying on their notes, verbal interpretation skills, and memory: I give them a printed list. A also put a piece of blue 'painters' tape on the trailer corresponding to each point on my written list.

I also disconnect the battery.
That is what I was going to say. Either blue painter's tape or Post-it-notes indicating where the issue is and a checklist of the issues.
Old 03-29-2017, 01:26 PM   #6

I second the blue tape.

I have a great dealer, but they will never see the things I see. When I have a detail list It is printed out and each item in the coach is marked with blue tape with a number referring to a printed list. Just as I would do when going through a home with a contracter.
Old 03-29-2017, 02:29 PM   #7

Ditto what everyone else say. I would add that when picking up the rv, walk through with the tech and have them show you each repair. I discovered at one warranty fix that was not actually fixed.
Old 03-29-2017, 06:39 PM   #8

Great feedback, thanks fellas!
Beach Cart XL
GlampinLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 07:13 PM   #9

Take pictures of the exterior of your rig before leaving it. Just on the off chance it gets banged up, you'll be able to show it wasn't that way when dropped off.

2014 Greyhawk 31FK
2007 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100cc
NC Roamer is offline   Reply With Quote