Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-29-2017, 08:18 PM   #201

I joined Boy Scouts in 1969 in Madison Wisconsin. My very first overnight was the Winter overnight and it got down to -18F. Every guy there was REQUIRED to completely change into dry clothing before bed because we had been out in the snow doing merit badge qualifications, horsing around, snow fort building, etc. That meant we were sweaty under our layers of clothes and that wet long underwear gets real cold, real fast.
We slept on straw provided by a local farmer and set up lean-to shelters using our ponchos, two guys per shelter. At the open end of the lean-to we built small fires and each person had a pile of wood to add if they woke up cold. Managed to survive but only one car (my dad's) started the next morning. Probably because it had 100K and not much compression.
Our troop, 27, had at one point over 100 boys although maybe only 20-25 went on this particular overnight.
I thank my few years in Scouting in shaping me into a person always willing to help and always prepared. We moved so I only made First Class.
Dobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 08:45 PM   #202
Site Team

Good to hear all these scouting stories, keep the coming!
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 01:59 PM   #203

Since I've very, very late to this thread I'll be quick, for me at least. My sister joined the Brownies in about 1951 and graduated to the Girl Scouts probably 2 years later. I joined the Brownies in probably 1953 and that troup changed from Brownies to Blue Birds and I didn't like them much so I quit.

The saddest thing is only one of us went camping. My sister and Mom did when we lived in N.Y. Mom said it was miserable. they weren't Mom was an assistant Scout leader at the time Scout Master the whole time my sister and I scouted.

All your adventures sound so fun, I wish we'd been doing things like that. I hope there are more.
the Beast, that's my Jayco Select 12HW...
Little Monster, my Little Guy T@B
Roux 'b Doux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 10:34 AM   #204

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roux 'b Doux View Post
Since I've very, very late to this thread I'll be quick, for me at least. My sister joined the Brownies in about 1951 and graduated to the Girl Scouts probably 2 years later. I joined the Brownies in probably 1953 and that troup changed from Brownies to Blue Birds and I didn't like them much so I quit.

The saddest thing is only one of us went camping. My sister and Mom did when we lived in N.Y. Mom said it was miserable. they weren't Mom was an assistant Scout leader at the time Scout Master the whole time my sister and I scouted.

All your adventures sound so fun, I wish we'd been doing things like that. I hope there are more.
I always found it sad that the girls didn't get to do the fun stuff in Girl Scouts that we got to do in Boy Scouts. In my area we had a small group of "Explorers" that was co-ed, but it was a small group indeed, with very limited resources.

My nieces are both Girl Scouts (oldest just got her lifetime membership as a graduation gift), and because of their parents, they got to do more of the "fun stuff" than most I hear about.

It makes me glad that girls can now be included in the BSA. Despite all if the inherent logistical difficulties, I think girls should get to do all the fun stuff too. I know that's a bit of a "hot button" issue for some, but that's about where I land on it. As part of one of my leadership retreats in scouts (NJLIC at Philmont), we explored the possibility of including females in our ranks. And that was back in the mid-90s; interesting to see where we are almost 30 years later.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 09:22 AM   #205

I am an adult Boy Scout leader and have been active in the Great Trail Council for 25 years. Ask me about Wood Badge!
Scoutmaster253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 12:56 AM   #206

Went thru Beavers, Cubs, Scouts and Ventures here in Ontario Canada. My brothers and father were all there with me and also school friends that I am still in touch with today. Near the end our troop lost what is once was when I was younger and turned into more of a baby sitting service for parents to use and no one showed up for camps/event. I finished school and went to work/moved away, I hear the whole troop disbanded/ folded. 20+ years working outside year round in construction has brought me into our new trailer and off the ground/out of tents. Hope to give my son and daughter the experience’s I’ve had from the comfort of the trailer even if I can’t find a group to join.
Sledahead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 08:56 PM   #207

We have one Eagle Scout and one Life Scout. The youngest lost interest unfortunately. I have been fortunate to be involved with the program for over 16 years. Lifelong ok ng friends have been made and many memories.
Yotahilux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 09:03 PM   #208

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoutmaster253 View Post
I am an adult Boy Scout leader and have been active in the Great Trail Council for 25 years. Ask me about Wood Badge!
I went through Wood Badge in 2007. Go Bobwhites!

Was invited to be on staff as Quatermaster and the course after that on as a Patrol Leader.

I thought I learned alot as a participant but was amazed how much more I learned on staff.

...a staffer I will be!
Yotahilux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 09:50 PM   #209
Site Team

Joined a Scout troop WAY back in the '60s. It was a terrific experience that molded quite a bit of my character. In fact, it was my very first ever camping trip. The only memory I still have from it, the shock of having to use a latrine! Pretty bad it's still remembered.
Sadly, the troop did disband after a few years.
The last time I was exposed to scouting, was a national jamboree held at Wellesley Island State Park back in the '70s. I was there supplying my EMT services and an ambulance for a couple of days. All the surrounding town volunteered their rigs and members for a part of the duration. It was a wonderful time! The comradery was something to experience. I remember being fed quite well, in exchange for my time there, and medical assistance to 900+ Scouts, with jack knives, hatchets, and assorted "random gravity checks" from places they maybe shouldn't have been.
Oh, and the patch swapping was a really big deal with all the boys. We were actually given a patch for the Jamboree, and believe it or not, I STILL have it. A fond reminder of a past fun time. Heck, I still have my Boy Scout uniform, manual, and backpack somewhere, too. No idea why! It sure doesn't come close to fitting anymore.
Well, that's all I got, and thanks for letting me ramble down memory lane for a few minutes,

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 04:51 PM   #210

I only made it to tenderfoot. My son However is life scout and is planning on going full to Eagle. We just went to Daniel Boone down in North Carolina. He just got elected senior patrol leader and is looking forward to advancing. We're expecting to go to Key West he wants along snorkeling and scuba diving. I wish I had stayed With Scouting. I am an assistant scoutmaster with His troop.
Wacki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 05:15 PM   #211
Site Team

I will soon have 3 sons that are Eagle Scouts as 2 are already Eagles and one just finished up his project.
Old 07-14-2019, 05:20 PM   #212

Congratulations Crabman!!
Wacki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 05:25 PM   #213

Started in Cubs through First Class but our Scoutmaster was new and untrained. Lots of camping but no Eagle or even Merit Badges earned in our troop while I was there.

But I volunteered and became a Committee member, drove the bus to many camp outs over 20 years and raised an Eagle and a star Scout. Shelter haves, to popups to a 195RB for just the two of us. I still go back and help on a couple of all hands fund raisers a year.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 06:19 PM   #214
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wacki View Post
Congratulations Crabman!!
Thanks, glad to hear your son is going for Eagle.
Old 07-29-2019, 05:45 PM   #215

Greetings fellow Scouters! My brother is an Eagle Scout, but I never caught the bug as a kid. When my son was old enough, we got into Cubs. I was a Wolf, Bear, and Webelos Den Leader, then Assistant Scoutmaster, and then Scoutmaster during his time in Scouts. He made it to Life rank and got involved in working summer camp staff and National Youth Leadership staff. My daughter joined Venture Scouts and became Crew President, and not only served on several NYLT staffs, she also served on NAYLE staff at Philmont!

I drank the Wood Badge Kool Aid when I went in 2010 (I'm a Bobwhite...notice the totem as my account image?) I've served on Wood Badge staff as a Troop Guide, ASM Program, Asst. QM, and as Scoutmaster for the 2016 course in our council. I was the course advisor for the 2018 and 2019 sessions, too.

I went with my son as an ASM for one of our council Jamboree troops in 2013 (the first Jamboree at the Summit in West Virginia), then in 2017 I was a Scoutmaster for one of our Jamboree troops. My daughter came to that Jamboree in the Venture Crew. Those experiences are some of my most cherished memories of my time in Scouting!

I'm still involved with NYLT as an adult advisor, and I am the Chairman of the Wood Badge training committee in our council.

I'm not done backpacking and camping closer to nature (I am going to Philmont next June with a crew of 12!), but my wife and I are partial empty nesters (both kids in college!) and she just can't physically handle tent camping any more due to her health. So we decided to spend part of the kid's inheritance and do some Glamping instead!

See you at the campground!
Dealerproofed by Powerstroke Specialties
Air Lift Loadlifter 5000 Airbags | Blue Ox Super Ride hitch
SB_James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 09:25 PM   #216

Been in scouting since the mid 90s. Crossed over to boy scouts about a year after i started and been active ever since. I believe ive been in boy scouts since 1997. Didnt quite make eagle as my parents didnt push me hard enough or give me the motivation i needed. However i did make life and so since that day ice decided to spend the rest of my "life" making sure i eagle out every kid that puts forth the effort. Been an adult leader since april of 2003 and am still as active as day 1. Currently an ASM (Asst Scoutmaster) and had our district fall camporee last weekend. Currently gearing up to plan another campout the end of october.
Old 01-09-2020, 10:21 PM   #217

Hello from Austin gentlemen,
Like my beautiful late father we both missed Eagle by only a handful of badges. I blame girls not folks. Lol. I will share with you all something very special to me. My daddy passed away just this past August. When going through his things I not only found his original Boy Scout handbook dated 1959 but mine as well right next to it dated 1988.
Attached Thumbnails
4399DDAD-A5F9-4C6F-A357-0057139568DF.jpg  
1 crazy chocolate Lab
1 stinky Basset hound
ATX512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 11:14 PM   #218

Very awesome discovery, ATX!
Dealerproofed by Powerstroke Specialties
Air Lift Loadlifter 5000 Airbags | Blue Ox Super Ride hitch
SB_James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 11:20 PM   #219
Site Team

That one of your fathers looks like it's the same as the one I have....somewhere. Now I have to see if I can find it!

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 12:04 AM   #220

JayFlight I hope you find it. I have heavy heart as I continue to look for our BS knife. I used daddies knife all through my scouting.. which for me lasted almost to college. Lol slow learner. It was a “western” Boy Scout knife and I am so fearful to have lost it. The fiancé and I have one last storage unit to explore in Fort Worth once time allows and I have fingers crossed I find it.

Wish me luck guys. You all know what it would mean!
1 crazy chocolate Lab
1 stinky Basset hound
ATX512 is offline   Reply With Quote