Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Jayco Life > Campfire Chat
Click Here to Login

Old 02-08-2020, 11:18 PM   #241

This thread need to stay alive guys.

Let talk about about our jamboree story’s. Where was yours held? Mine was late 80’s fort hill Virginia.
1 crazy chocolate Lab
1 stinky Basset hound
ATX512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 06:17 AM   #242

BE PREPARED. Eagle Scout from late 60’s here. Order of Arrow recipient. Scouting is the best experience ever and still guides me today. Very proud to be in a group of esteemed people.
Philmont was an unforgettable experience. Survival training, hiking the mountains carrying you own provisions(protecting from wildlife, bears) and the fellowship, amazing.
Listed in Eagle Scout Registry.
Wineguard G3 portable sat system & H24 receiver
2013 Harley Triglide
2 Yorkies
cbeers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 08:47 AM   #243

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iraqvet05 View Post
I had a great time in scouts as a kid and dropped out sometime in high school after going to Philmont. I have a son that's a Webelo 2 now and just a few months away from crossing over....but he doesn't want to continue. I keep telling him Boy Scouts is a different adventure but he doesn't seem to care. It's a bit frustrating to see so many Cub Scout packs in my area that are on the verge of failing and can't keep kids interested. I've asked or own pack leader to consolidate with another struggling pack 10 minutes away but it fell on deaf ears.

Sounds familiar..... I made it to Philmont, and drifted away after that. That was amazing experience. One of the best of my younger years. My son now has zero interest in scouts. None of his friends are in, so that probably has something to do with it. Different times. I’m glad I did scouts for as long as I did.
2024 Chevy 3500HD DRW
TxLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 11:27 AM   #244

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott View Post
I was a Cub and Boy and Venture Scout. I earned my Eagle in 1994 when I was 15. I was also one of the first 10 Venture Scouts in the country to earn the Ranger Award.

I absolutely loved Scouting and learned so much that served me well as an adult. I have twin 2-1/2 year olds and hope they will join scouting and follow in their father's foot steps.
Well, my boys did join Cub Scouts as Tigers. We just moved up to the Webelos den. I was Den Leader for a year and a half, then Assistant Cubmaster for 6 months, and now Cubmaster for the last year+. I've got another 18 months or so to go before my twin boys cross over into the Troop. We are having a blast!

2022 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LTZ Crew Cab 3.0L Duramax 4WD
2019 Jayco Jay Flight SLX 298BH
2013 Jayco Jay 1206 (Sold)
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 11:39 AM   #245

I loved Scouts when I was a kid (back in the 70's). The troop I was in was sorta paramilitary oriented. Inspections before each meeting and push-ups were in order if you were out of line. Still had loads of fun and experiences and everyone paid attention a respected the Scout Master. Tried to get my son into it back in mid 2005 and the dens in my area at least were a joke. Kids screaming and running around and learning nothing. Half never showed up in uniform and their parents would drop them off and leave knowing that they had a little monster and expect the poor Scout Master to babysit while them went on their merry way. Ended up taking him out and just teaching him all that stuff myself.
Dopalgangr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 09:11 PM   #246

Who all remembers this:

On my honor I will do my best to do my duty to God and my country and to obey the Scout Law; to help other people at all times; to keep myself physically strong, mentally awake, and morally straight. Page#27 BSHB

I wish more people would follow this today!
1 crazy chocolate Lab
1 stinky Basset hound
Old 06-28-2020, 07:37 AM   #247

My wife sometimes laughs when I "do a good deed daily" but at 73 I still want Scouting to continue in my Grandkids.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 07:33 AM   #248

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX512 View Post
Who all remembers this:

On my honor I will do my best to do my duty to God and my country and to obey the Scout Law; to help other people at all times; to keep myself physically strong, mentally awake, and morally straight. Page#27 BSHB

I wish more people would follow this today!
That's burned into my memory. One of those things I'll NEVER forget (so long as my noodle is still al dente).

How about this one: A Scout is courteous, kind, obedient, cheerful, thrifty, brave, clean, and reverent.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 07:53 AM   #249

All Scouters past and present please report

Trustworthy, Loyal, Helpful, Friendly, Courteous, Kind, Obedient, Cheerful, Thrifty, Brave, Clean, and Reverent.

Boy, we could use more of this in our country right now!
Dealerproofed by Powerstroke Specialties
Air Lift Loadlifter 5000 Airbags | Blue Ox Super Ride hitch
SB_James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 08:02 AM   #250

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB_James View Post
Trustworthy, Loyal, Helpful, Friendly, Courteous, Kind, Obedient, Cheerful, Thrifty, Brave, Clean, and Reverent.

Boy, we could use more of this in our country right now!
LOL!! I got it wrong! Guess my noodle is getting a little soft!!

We certainly could use more of that attitude though!!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 07-06-2020, 09:41 PM   #251

I almost cannot stand to read the news anymore, breaks my heart to see the inflammation In our county. Kids today need, more than ever now, the roots we all share. To understand it’s okay to not be such an individual but work as a team Like scouting help teach us.
1 crazy chocolate Lab
1 stinky Basset hound
Old 09-01-2020, 02:54 PM   #252

Eagle Scout here, 1992. Multiple staff at summer and high adventure camps (Philmont, Hansen, Sumners). Bear den leader for a pack right now and will be completing my Woodbadge Ticket items by the end of this month.

Scouting is different now and I “get” why....but I also thing the program itself and the values it can teach are needed now more than ever.
Mtbiker70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 09:15 PM   #253

I did 17 years at scouting. Every year one week of vacation was taking the boys away.
Some boys never slept on the ground. We taught them everything. Today some of the kids camp with there kids. Well worth the time. My memories of when I was Scout Master seems like yesterday.
campersam9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 09:17 AM   #254

Was a Scout, back in the late '60s-mid '70s. Great memories! Abnaki jamboree, woods camping, etc.
Parents neighbor was a civilian bigwig with the Maine Army Reserve. He used to supply the mess tent & cooking equipment. Also would have a "deuce and a half" truck towing a "water buffalo" trailer, along with other Army stuff. A young boys dream, seeing all the military equipment! LOL
We usually slept in teepees. They were pretty easy and simple to set up.
Sometimes we'd sleep in Army Reserve supplied tents.
The Army canvas medical stretchers were actually comfortable for a kid to sleep on.
Fastway E2 Trunnion WDH
deepsea5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 01:12 PM   #255

My dad was 1 of 4 Assistant Scoutmasters, Myself and 5 others received our Eagle Scout rank together total of 6 for the district at one time. I think we we still hold the record back in 68-69 and I went from tents to 5th wheel trailer and still love it good times
ScottK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 04:11 PM   #256

Glad this thread is still alive. And I have some good news: My son joined Cub Scouts. And he ABSOLUTELY LOVES it!! Makes my heart warm!

He played T-ball, and then coach pitch Little League. He had fun, but his heart wasn't really in it. Broke his mom's heart for him to say he didn't want to play because she played Softball in HS and College.

EVERY Monday, he's absolutely stoked to go to cub scout meeting!

One cool thing is that he's recruiting some of his friends too! Next year, he'll bring along at least 2-3 into the pack! Their parents are ecstatic about it too!

I can already see that I'm going to be tapped to a leadership position. I'm nervous about it because I'm very involved in my community with other organizations, and I'm trying to grow my business. My dad (all but a career scoutmaster; brought 2 boys through the program all the way to Eagle over the course of about 15 years) tells me "it's fine son, you'll find a way"...

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 05-17-2021, 06:16 PM   #257

Hre we go, I will start with the dw. Den leader tiger thru 2nd year webelo leader plus committe chair.
Myself, tiger leader thru webelo 2 and cubmaster. Pack 546 @high ridge elementary.
Cubscouts is where we discovered the people who complain the most do the least.
There was no troop 546, we were courted by, and crossed into troop 29 down the street at St. Anthony church. That was a strong troop until the Arch Diocese closed the grade school and pack 29 was disolved.
We made sure the troop was run by the kids, making sure they didn't do anything stupid in the meantime. We didn't really march to the same drum as most of the other troops in the area. We didn't do the camporee's/jamboree's. We did do scout planned "super summer camp"every three years with the fundraising the kids did. 3 weeks out west including rafting the snake and colorado rivers. Another trip was one week at the Ner River Gorge area including 2 days rafting again. Of course some of the adults made a trip back to do the Gaully. This was years before the Bechtell family ranch opened. Next trip was rafting the Ocoee (olympic white water!) before heading up to KY to do some rock climbing near a stone arch formation I can't remember the name of. This troop shriveled up and died without the pack to feed it while I was scoutmaster. Those adults of the catholic faith lost interest when the bsa opened to openly gay kids and adults.
Between the 2 boys, I was involved for about 15 years.
Old and soft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 07:40 PM   #258

Louisa Cub Scout Pack 437.

My wife and I are both den leaders (her Tigers, me Webelos). Future Boy Scout in the works for next year when he moves on to middle school.
Middle child is in the girls Tigers den.
Youngest is an "honorary Webelos" (he wants to be a scout so bad).

I was a cub and boy scout in the early 90's. Matter of fact, my sister just delivered to me my old uniform and some news clippings my mom had.

We have a very large pack here in Louisa, VA and we are tightly knit, but always open for newcomers. I attribute a lot of our strength to the amount of time we spend outdoors as a pack working as a team from the adult leadership down to the youngest cub scout.
gobdeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 07:58 PM   #259

Eagle Scout from 70’s!
Ttlanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 08:17 AM   #260

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott View Post
Well, my boys did join Cub Scouts as Tigers. We just moved up to the Webelos den. I was Den Leader for a year and a half, then Assistant Cubmaster for 6 months, and now Cubmaster for the last year+. I've got another 18 months or so to go before my twin boys cross over into the Troop. We are having a blast!
My boys crossed over from Cub Scouts to Boy Scouts on Saturday. I've got one more meeting as Cubmaster to transition the new leader, then I'm off to the Troop too as an Assistant Scoutmaster.

I found out on Saturday that I am being awarded with Cubmaster of the Year from my local council. I'm still not sure what I did to deserve the honor. I just did the job the best I could. Half of all the Packs in our council closed due to COVID. We kept active and all my scouts advanced.

I'm excited to be joining a Troop with my boys, but I'm going to miss Cub Scouting. It was way more fun than I remember it as a kid.

2022 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LTZ Crew Cab 3.0L Duramax 4WD
2019 Jayco Jay Flight SLX 298BH
2013 Jayco Jay 1206 (Sold)
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote