Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-16-2014, 08:59 PM   #121

Sorry to bump an old thread, just browsing old posts and ran across it. Eagle from the late 80s, now my oldest son started scouts this year. The scoutmaster has known me for years and has been waiting for my boys to get old enough.. He's reeling me back in!

My wife also refuses to camp without a bed, shower and clean bathroom, so here we are. Got our first camper this winter, a 264bh. One trip under our belt so far, and it went great!

skylarkva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 09:35 PM   #122

I was an avid scout in the 80's with two trips to Philmont and my eldest went through cub. He is still a member of troop 406, but he like a lot of boys his age have been overtaken by the fumes... perfume and exhaust!
A little disapointed, but I do not miss the tent and sleeping bag.

tanracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 07:36 AM   #123

I was a Sea Scout in the early 60's, although we were a long way from water and had no sea going craft. We hiked and camped a lot even after leaving Scouts. Got back into Scouting after military service and was an ass't SM for a few years. Camping today for the most part is nothing like what we used to do. We hiked and camped in rain or snow for most of the year and almost froze to death once or twice.
Didn't do that again.
dapoppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 01:37 PM   #124

Was never a scouter as a youth but my wife and I became leaders when my son started in Tiger Cubs. After pushing him through Eagle and OA he is now an adult. My wife and I stay in tough with the troop as committee members. It was a very enjoyable time and got to see and do many exciting things. The best was the Out Island Adventure at Sea Base in the Keys.

TNCraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 07:35 PM   #125

I got my Eagle in 63. My wife and I stayed active in Scouting till 2002. It is now time to relax and enjoy the A/C. We are still advisors and camp with other retired Scouters.
goblinn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 06:04 PM   #126

Brownie in the 60's, but didn't think too much of camping in leaders yard in town. I wanted to do real camping like the Boy Scouts. My dad was an ASM from sometime in early-mid 50's, until mid 60's.

Fast forward to 90's when my daughter joined Brownies. She stayed active in Girl Scouts through Seniors, earning her Silver Award. Started as an assistant leader staying active through college. A couple of moves and now she is establishing a Daisy troop at her church. Oh yeah, she volunteered at Our Chalet, Girl Scout World Center in Switzerland for a summer. Married to an Eagle Scout, and Vigil Member of OA, who works for BSA Supply Division. Their wedding party was entirely Scouts, either Girl Scouts or Boy Scouts. It was a fun night.

Son joined Cub Scouts and wasn't interested in Webelos, so left and then came back as a Boy Scout. Eagle Scout 2009. Venturing Ranger Award 2012. 7 years of Summer Camp Staff. The last two as aquatics director. Currently Bear Den Leader and Chapter Advisor for OA Chapter. Oh, he is a Vigil Member of OA too.

Me, I was GS Leader or assistant leader for about 7-8 years and have been ASM and/or Webelos Den Leader for a number years since then. Currently Cubmaster, District Training Chair, Troop Committee member.

I realized the other day, I have been Scouting at the same church for 20 years now. My most appreciated award is my Cross and Flame, that I received from the Methodist Church for service to Scouts.
wannavolunteerft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 08:36 AM   #127

I was a Cub Scout but dropped out of the Webelos (no parent involvement).
Joined the Boy Scouts, made it to First Class but we had no decent adult leadership (one guy who called himself WingDing and again no parent involvement!) and the troop folded. I would regret not following through on that, but I found I have a chance to pursue Scouting vicariously through my son.

Last night was my first meeting as the Tiger Scout Leader of my sons den. He was so proud when I went up to introduce myself and made sure to tell everyone that "that's my dad" for the rest of the evening (starting with the Cubmaster!)... which warmed my heart to no end.
We cabin camp next month and I'm looking forward to doing a lot more.

Daughter moved up from Daisy to Brownie last May and DW is an assistant leader.

Scouting offers so much return on time invested, I recommend it to everyone.
Arefbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 08:08 PM   #128
Site Team

Still Scout Master and have 3 sons in Scouts. One is now Life rank and working on Eagle, the twins are First Class.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 03:39 PM   #129
Site Team

Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 08:57 PM   #130

On my honor I will do my best to do my duty to God and my country.......

Life- Troop 460, Kensington Maryland

2014 Eagle 30.5 RLS
2015 Dodge 3500HD SRW 6.7L
Click on my profile for Mods and notes
Jmooney is offline   Reply With Quote