Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-04-2022, 06:17 AM   #261

I finished earning my Eagle Scout rank in 1979. I had a great troop, mostly because of a great group of adult leaders. I have one son. He didn’t make it past First Class. His passion is soccer and he plays soccer in college now. He didn’t enjoy Scouting the way I did. We made it to Sea Base, though. That was about 5 years ago. He still talks about that trip. We had a great time and it’s one of his favorite memories.
nfisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 04:15 PM   #262

1973 Eagle Scout and silver palm! Never got gold palm.
Ttlanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 07:06 PM   #263

Scouts taught me a lot... I attribute a lot of what I learned in Scouting, to many of the successful endeavors I have achieved in the 50 years that followed.

My scouting experience may not be the more traditional in the later years, but the early ones in Cub Scouts, Webelo's were all about "earning the badge"

Upon graduating to Boy Scouts... our troop was once again, by the Scoutmasters Handbook.. Summer Camp, Winter Camp, Jamboree and a once-a-year visit to the sea-base in Long Beach.

Then, our troop started to fall apart... a blessing in disguise really - I got my Star Badge and after that, stopped working on the merit-badges... for something more inspiring, challenging and that kept me interested. Our Scoutmaster was a dad of one of the kids in our troop of 10.

Yes, it went from 40 to ten. We changed focus from hauling a pickup truck of stuff into a field (or Awahnee) and camping for a weekend --- to getting a quality backpack, Sleeping bag and setting our sights on conquering Mt. Whitney. Whitney is the tallest peak in the 48-states at 14,495 ft. Our Scoutmaster had a a couple of adult buddies that were "all-in" on the adventure.

In our 2-year preparation for that trip, we hiked to the top of San-Gorgonio, Mt. San-Jacinto, Mt. Baden Powell and more that I just can't remember.. In the Snow on San Jacinto in winter, In the Sweltering Heat of the De Anza Trail in summer. We learned how to survive in the wilderness... and then we took on Mt. Whitney. What an experience it was..

Then we went back two years later and did it again. Since our troop was no longer a legitimate and "Sanctioned" boy scout troop, mostly because we did not hold the required meetings, collect the dues and do all the paperwork - I did not really let my peers at school know that I was still in Boy Scouts - by then it was not something that was socially cool to be associated with, but we got to enjoy the absolute best of both worlds... world class hiking and outdoors training with the remnants of troop 664 in the Sunset Honor District.
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2022, 12:45 PM   #264

1st Class Scout, Black Warrior Council Troop 10, during the late 1960's and early 1970's. When I aged out I moved to the local Explorer Post for a couple of years. Both are no defunct due to aging out, and other factors that occurred ... during the mid-1980's.

Everything I learned in scouting applied to every field (camping) experience I had in the service, and on one very memorable occasion the things I learned in about orienteering payed off big when it came time to medivac an injured Jarhead out of the jungle.

Not much else to tell, except that post-scouting "be prepared" became a way of life for me.
wordsmyth is offline   Reply With Quote