Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-16-2014, 07:59 PM   #121

Sorry to bump an old thread, just browsing old posts and ran across it. Eagle from the late 80s, now my oldest son started scouts this year. The scoutmaster has known me for years and has been waiting for my boys to get old enough.. He's reeling me back in!

My wife also refuses to camp without a bed, shower and clean bathroom, so here we are. Got our first camper this winter, a 264bh. One trip under our belt so far, and it went great!
skylarkva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 08:35 PM   #122

I was an avid scout in the 80's with two trips to Philmont and my eldest went through cub. He is still a member of troop 406, but he like a lot of boys his age have been overtaken by the fumes... perfume and exhaust!
A little disapointed, but I do not miss the tent and sleeping bag.
tanracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 06:36 AM   #123

I was a Sea Scout in the early 60's, although we were a long way from water and had no sea going craft. We hiked and camped a lot even after leaving Scouts. Got back into Scouting after military service and was an ass't SM for a few years. Camping today for the most part is nothing like what we used to do. We hiked and camped in rain or snow for most of the year and almost froze to death once or twice.
Didn't do that again.
dapoppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 12:37 PM   #124

Was never a scouter as a youth but my wife and I became leaders when my son started in Tiger Cubs. After pushing him through Eagle and OA he is now an adult. My wife and I stay in tough with the troop as committee members. It was a very enjoyable time and got to see and do many exciting things. The best was the Out Island Adventure at Sea Base in the Keys.

TNCraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 06:35 PM   #125

I got my Eagle in 63. My wife and I stayed active in Scouting till 2002. It is now time to relax and enjoy the A/C. We are still advisors and camp with other retired Scouters.
goblinn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 05:04 PM   #126

Brownie in the 60's, but didn't think too much of camping in leaders yard in town. I wanted to do real camping like the Boy Scouts. My dad was an ASM from sometime in early-mid 50's, until mid 60's.

Fast forward to 90's when my daughter joined Brownies. She stayed active in Girl Scouts through Seniors, earning her Silver Award. Started as an assistant leader staying active through college. A couple of moves and now she is establishing a Daisy troop at her church. Oh yeah, she volunteered at Our Chalet, Girl Scout World Center in Switzerland for a summer. Married to an Eagle Scout, and Vigil Member of OA, who works for BSA Supply Division. Their wedding party was entirely Scouts, either Girl Scouts or Boy Scouts. It was a fun night.

Son joined Cub Scouts and wasn't interested in Webelos, so left and then came back as a Boy Scout. Eagle Scout 2009. Venturing Ranger Award 2012. 7 years of Summer Camp Staff. The last two as aquatics director. Currently Bear Den Leader and Chapter Advisor for OA Chapter. Oh, he is a Vigil Member of OA too.

Me, I was GS Leader or assistant leader for about 7-8 years and have been ASM and/or Webelos Den Leader for a number years since then. Currently Cubmaster, District Training Chair, Troop Committee member.

I realized the other day, I have been Scouting at the same church for 20 years now. My most appreciated award is my Cross and Flame, that I received from the Methodist Church for service to Scouts.
wannavolunteerft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 07:36 AM   #127

I was a Cub Scout but dropped out of the Webelos (no parent involvement).
Joined the Boy Scouts, made it to First Class but we had no decent adult leadership (one guy who called himself WingDing and again no parent involvement!) and the troop folded. I would regret not following through on that, but I found I have a chance to pursue Scouting vicariously through my son.

Last night was my first meeting as the Tiger Scout Leader of my sons den. He was so proud when I went up to introduce myself and made sure to tell everyone that "that's my dad" for the rest of the evening (starting with the Cubmaster!)... which warmed my heart to no end.
We cabin camp next month and I'm looking forward to doing a lot more.

Daughter moved up from Daisy to Brownie last May and DW is an assistant leader.

Scouting offers so much return on time invested, I recommend it to everyone.
Arefbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 07:08 PM   #128
Site Team

Still Scout Master and have 3 sons in Scouts. One is now Life rank and working on Eagle, the twins are First Class.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 02:39 PM   #129
Site Team

Old 09-13-2014, 07:57 PM   #130

On my honor I will do my best to do my duty to God and my country.......

Life- Troop 460, Kensington Maryland

2014 Eagle 30.5 RLS
2015 Dodge 3500HD SRW 6.7L
Click on my profile for Mods and notes
Jmooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 10:13 AM   #131

Last night (2nd Den meeting) introduced the Cub Scout Promise - I (say your name) promise to do my best, to do my duty...
I, say your name, promise to do my best...

(For a short time I had all of the scouts named Bob.)

This is so much fun!

Anyone else out there interested, it is a great opportunity for your kids, your relatives kids or just the kids next door. Scouting is experiencing low numbers due to sports. I truly believe life lessons and character building that you get with scouting helps enhance a child's whole life, including their experience in sports.

I had a high school intern that worked for me who completed his Eagle Scout while at our company. A few years later (after college) he was my boss... and great to work for!

Arefbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 07:47 AM   #132

BSA Troop 343 sponsored by the McCuller's Ruritan Club in Wake County, NC, 1965-69. We had three great adult leaders in Mr. King, Mr. Hines and Mr. Fish. As the sponsor's name implies, we were in a very rural area at that time. Not so much now though. All of us were from the countryside with many boys from local farm families, so we had plenty of nearby woods with farm ponds on which to camp.

The best summer I ever had was in 1968 when I was on the staff at the original Camp Durant that was north of Raleigh. It is now a city park but then was way out in the country.

My scouting days are very pleasant memories of many fun times.

2014 Greyhawk 31FK
2007 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100cc
NC Roamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 04:01 PM   #133

NC Reamer something else we have in common besides the 31FK! I missed eagle by my project turned 18... I was also order of the arrow...great memories...I have an old handbook somewhere that still smells of the brandy that a jeep crushed in my dad's backpack in 1977! counseled in summer camp at camp Turrell cuddebackville NY near port Jervis...great camping neck of the woods
thecampingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 04:03 PM   #134

Sorry for spell check oops! "Roamer"...proud to have made it to Life Scout
thecampingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 05:16 PM   #135

Was an Indian Guide http://yguides.ymcatriangle.org/about-us/history in the late 40s in St Louis Co., Mo. Cub Scout And Boy Scout in The 50s in Jefferson Co., Mo. Dad was my Scout leader and continued leading the troop while my 5 younger brothers were active during the 50s and 60s. I think he got involved again after he retired.

'13 Jayco Premier 351RLTS

'17 F350 King Ranch Ultimate FX4 6.7L TD SRW LB BackFlip F1
mjlaupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 06:08 AM   #136

I started as a "leader in training" at 17 with 1st Aurora Pack. Later I became a Scout leader, also for 1st Aurora. Then 1st Aurora collapsed because we couldn't get enough leaders and I moved to 2nd Aurora who were also short. It's been 26 years since I started and the situation is only getting worse. I'm currently our only Cub leader, with temporary help from other leaders so that we have at least two at meetings, but it isn't sustainable without more volunteers.

I've been an avid camper since high school and my wife wanted to join me but also wanted her own washroom. So last year we bought our first travel trailer used, and we've been fixing it ever since. I think it'll be ready to really use for next summer, and we're looking forward to that!
Scouter Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 01:24 PM   #137
Site Team

^^^It is getting more difficult then ever to get parents and volunteers involved in Scouting. And without them it just will not work. Many units are facing this dilemma.
Old 10-02-2014, 01:39 PM   #138

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabman View Post
^^^It is getting more difficult then ever to get parents and volunteers involved in Scouting. And without them it just will not work. Many units are facing this dilemma.
Very true. I remember when I was signing my son up for Webelos, I had the leader walk up to me, not knowing me or me him, and said he needed an Assistant. I said I didn't know and he handed me an application and told me to fill it out so they could do the background, etc. and he didn't seem like he was going to take no for an answer. Best decision I ever made was to volunteer. I remembered my dad was Scoutmaster for many years and what it meant to me back then. Please consider getting involved in your kids future. It is very rewarding.
dg1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 05:29 PM   #139

Quote:
Originally Posted by dg1971 View Post
Very true. I remember when I was signing my son up for Webelos, I had the leader walk up to me, not knowing me or me him, and said he needed an Assistant. I said I didn't know and he handed me an application and told me to fill it out so they could do the background, etc. and he didn't seem like he was going to take no for an answer. Best decision I ever made was to volunteer. I remembered my dad was Scoutmaster for many years and what it meant to me back then. Please consider getting involved in your kids future. It is very rewarding.
I find this is happening not only with Scouts, but with nearly all community activities. There is a real attitude of "someone else will do it." My wife and I were Girl Scout troop leaders for many years (we had daughters, no sons) and many of the leaders were older women who's daughters were long grown. Same with Boy Scouts. When I was in a troop (and made Eagle Scout) the Scoutmaster had a kid in the troop. My Dad was the troop chairman/institutional representative. Other scouts dads were also involved. Twenty years later, the troop was still going, but the leaders were mostly the same. Now elderly men, but couldn't get any young dads involved.

I see this happening in Church committees, other fundraisers, etc. It is a sad commentary on where our country's culture is going. Somehow people have lost track of the fact that it is in service to others that our lives become meaningful.
dewey02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 07:39 PM   #140

Our troop is very fortunate to have a great group of adults to help out. We have always managed to maintain a great retention level with most scouts aging out on their 18th birthday. The best thing is that several of these turn in an adult application and continue to help out when they can during their college years and after. You really need these young leaders, especially to help out on the backpacking trips!

It is very rewarding to be an adult leader in scouting. Every time I present an Eagle Rank I always remember to thank the scout for allowing me to be a part of "their" troop.

"Roughing it Cheaply"
Albums:
https://www.jaycoowners.com/album.php?u=3163
Boss Wagon is offline   Reply With Quote