Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-26-2017, 12:17 PM   #1

Broken into at dealership for warranty work - my insurance responsible...

This story isn't complete but wanted to share a learning experience that cost me and my insurance company thanks to our dealership leaving our unit unlocked for a career criminal to break in and steal our TV's, bleed everywhere and break stuff.

We took our 2016 Seismic Wave 310 to the dealership back in November to have some warranty work done (Fix 20+ issues, another story once we get it back to review what they did and didn't fix), add the Lippert Three Seasons Door, winterize (since it was going to be there) and to pack the bearings.

While sitting on their lot waiting on parts to fix some of the warranty issues, they left it unlocked, allowing a criminal to walk in the garage and see the family room TV. He couldn't pry the glass door open and instead of breaking it, the genius went back outside and broke one of the smaller windows behind the couch to gain access. Well he cut himself pretty good so he could bleed everywhere he walked (pictures on the article, link below).

My problem is this. My insurance company had to pay for it, with me picking up the $500 deductible. Dealership didn't even offer to take anything off my bill for all the extra work I had done. To me, this was their fault for leaving it unlocked. Had it been locked, he would have gone on to another unit in hopes of finding something valuable to make breaking in worth it.

The other problem I have is that it turns out they don't have much of a security system. When asked about that, "Yea, we've been in the process for awhile to have a better security system"....................... Yea, don't hurry, this is a pretty good money maker for you. Let units get broken into, then fix them and collect your hourly rate from someone else insurance company.

Went to pick it up on Saturday and had to leave it there, because the Lippert Electric Leveling system kept erring out when raising the jacks. But no worries, I had the leveling system on my list for them to look at since you could barely get the auto level to work, on level ground. So it went from hard to auto level..... to completely erring out - thanks for making it worse.

I'm just super frustrated at myself for not realizing they weren't responsible for my unit when it was in their possession, I would have just come and got it and told them to call me when they had all the parts they needed.

The in progress story is on our website: http://www.glampinlife.com/reviews/b...warranty-work/

Would you raise "h-e-double hockey stick" for them to pay me for my deductible or swallow the pill & just never take it back, leaving it up as a lesson learned?
Beach Cart XL
GlampinLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 03:29 PM   #2

Broken into at dealership for warranty work - my insurance responsible...

Well, ft it were me,I'd raise holy to get them to cover the deductible. That's the LEAST, they could do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-26-2017, 04:54 PM   #3

If this happened to me, I would be very POed!

Small claims court! No attorneys and it sounds to me that if you trust your RV to a dealership, they should be held accountable for all losses.

Just to be on the safe side, you might invest an hour with an attorney for advice and maybe hire him to (a) write a letter or (b) represent you in a case of negligence against the dealer, if he thinks you have a good case.

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 04:59 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murff View Post

Small claims court! No attorneys and it sounds to me that if you trust your RV to a dealership, they should be held accountable for all losses.

Just to be on the safe side, you might invest an hour with an attorney for advice and maybe hire him to (a) write a letter or (b) represent you in a case of negligence against the dealer, if he thinks you have a good case.

Murff
Service work orders signed when you drop it off usually state the dealer's not responsible for any loss.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 05:12 PM   #5

Small claims court. $$ for the deductible and a little extra for your trouble.
Old 03-26-2017, 05:47 PM   #6

DirtTrailGarage, read the information on the link and very sorry for your loss/issues. The service manager is correct in they have keys BUT we always leave our keys with them. Yes we purchased our unit from Colerain RV.

Something else and I don't know if you can do this but because of our previous 5vr (Cameo) had been broken into 3 times at the storage place, we no longer leave our TVs/electronics out in the open. Even when our unit went into Colerain for service, the electronics were put away.

Somethings else - we were told by one of the main sales people because of all the break-ins they had (Colerain, Camping World, Southwest, DVR, Fox, Airport, RV Nation) Colerain had put up security around the entire lot so if we walked the lot after hours, it is being monitored. Wonder why they would not include the service area since they also store brand new units in that area.

Good luck.
USMC Veterans (both of us)
Marine71-76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 08:01 PM   #7

We store ours at our house and I mistakenly felt like it would be safe at a dealership, lesson learned. I just figured they'd have more security measures to keep this from happening, so there was never really a thought about taking the TV's out and keeping them at the house. We've always stored our RV (first rig we had) & 5er at our house, so never had to deal with worrying about it in storage..

I'm sure there is something in 2pt font that no one can read that says they are not responsible, but I never signed any documents when I dropped it off. I even walked them through it with everything that needed to be fixed under warranty. I would have thought, had this been a problem, and after talking to people that this happens frequently at this dealership, that they would have told me to take the TV's when I walked them through it at drop off.

But then again, when they told us to come check out the damage to make a list of things missing, they forgot to tell us that we'd need to take EVERYTHING out of it for the cleaning company to clean it head to toe. Instead we had to throw everything in the kitchen in garbage bags to take home.

I was going to let it slide and not make a fuss about it. If they weren't going to go out of their way to make this a better situation, I was just going to never go back there for warranty work or to buy another trailer in a few years when I'm ready to trade this one in. However after going on Saturday to pick it up and they hadn't even fixed the leveling system, that changes my mind. I'm going to either get $500 back or get my moneys worth. I'm a small business owner, so I'm conscious of what negative feedback about a company is and go above and beyond to give a business every chance to do the right thing.

And about their security, they told my wife in January when this happened that they were still in the progress of getting a better security system.

Anyways, I appreciate your guys feedback on this. I really needed to vent, so thanks for hearing me out!
Beach Cart XL
Old 03-26-2017, 10:04 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Service work orders signed when you drop it off usually state the dealer's not responsible for any loss.
Read that as the dealer is NOT RESPONSIBLE for anything, period. Do you really want to do business get an explanation why with a company who has no responsibility?

I always line through that line and have the service writer initial it. If they won't take responsibility and record them explain why while recording it on my phone, making sure I ask their name. When they ask why, I tell them it would be used as evidence if either they or another party cause any damage while the vehicle or trailer is in their facility. If they make a fuss, I use another facility and make sure everyone around knows about their unwillingness to responsibility.

While I have never had damage, one facility I use now parks all customer owned units either in service bays (if room) or in a secured lot with electrified 12 foot fences topped with razor wire. Seems too many people were complaining and my changing the service contract was getting around. One service writer said the cost of the increased security reduced their damages and loses from theft/break ins actually saved them money in the first 18 months.

Stand your ground and if you have a lose from damage at dealer, small claims is the best way to go if the damages are under the maximum claim .
ifallsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 11:12 PM   #9

I think if you threatened to take them to small claims court they'd pay the deductible. I certainly wouldn't give them anymore business, and I'd complain to Jayco-- they will have some clout.

Regards,
JP
2007 20BH Jayco JayFlight
2009 F150 5.4L SCrew Cab XLT
JPBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 05:04 AM   #10

If you want this covered it’s very easy. First call the local TV stations and tell them about this one of them will run the story. May sure you tell them the unit was inside their building when it was broken in to. I’ll bet they cover it all once that story hits the air.
2015 Silverado 2500
rodro123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 01:21 PM   #11

So I talked to the service manager yesterday and got an interesting response. I explained I was unhappy with my trailer not being ready when I came to pick it up, since they hadn't fixed my leveling system (made it worse) and had the panels missing from the new Lippert Three Seasons door that they installed, and no one in service seems to know much about it accessories - yet it's an option on the Jayco trailers they sell (and I'm sure other manufacturers they sell as well).

So during my conversation I brought up the fact they left the door unlocked to allow the guy to get access and see there was something of value to steal. I said I specifically asked if they needed my keys to keep the doors lock and I was told no, they had a master. His response was "Well we don't have keys to lock the back garage door (ramp) and that's how he got in. My response was they came in the side door, that's where the muddy foot prints were and what was documented in the police report, also what your people told me AND my garage door is STILL locked and since you admitted you couldn't have locked or unlocked it, the only way in was the side main door you left unlocked.

Here's the kicker - I said after talking to some friends, one of which is a lawyer, they all said I should ask you to pay my deductible. I was going to just eat the $500 and never do business with you again if you didn't do the right thing on your own and take care of this bad situation for me. Since you haven't, I'm asking for you take $500 off my bill. His response - "Well I can tell you the minute a customer brings up a lawyer, we stop all talks at that point." I said I'm not wasting the money to hire a lawyer, I'm simply telling you I've been given some good advice and I'm asking you to make this right by taking care of my $500 deductible. He said he'd ask his manager and hurried up and got off the phone.

I guess this dealership makes too much money and doesn't care about taking care of their existing customers. If they don't do the right thing, I hope that $500 they saved is worth all the publicity they'll get from this.

I'll keep you posted on what transpires. If anything, hopefully this helps other new RV owners know the watch outs when dealing with dealerships.
Beach Cart XL
Old 03-28-2017, 01:40 PM   #12

I had something similar happen with a luxury used cabinet company. I had to go all the way up to a special manager, but I finally got resolution by saying, "I cannot under good conscious recommend your company, and I plan to leave reviews with pictures detailing this experience on every site I can. Your current and future customers should know that you will not stand behind your own mistakes, nor make efforts to correct them." I was refunded my $2735 the next business day. Just continue to be firm.
wed100105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 02:46 PM   #13

Just got off the phone from an update call, they are taking $500 off my bill to cover the deductible. I'm very happy that they are doing, what I think, is the right thing to do for a customer.

I am a little confused about the Lippert Three Seasons Door. They told the dealer that it's a screen door with optional inserts of clear plastic, smoke plastic and blackout plastic. Not sure why someone would buy a screen door to use - the point of it is so you can use your party deck and still be able to A/C or Heat that garage area to be used when it's real hot or cold out.

Anyways, happy ending to a crappy situation.
Beach Cart XL
Old 03-28-2017, 03:55 PM   #14

Just an FYI. I left a message with Colerain RV, telling them I'm aware how they were treating a customer whose rig was broken into while it was in for service. When a salesman called and asked where I was located (southern Georgia), he just laughed. My only comment to his laugh was "think about it, if I'm in southern GA and know about this, just how many people in your sales area know about it?" He sputtered , said goodbye and hung up.

I doubt this helped at all, but the reaction by the salesman shows the power of spreading the word of poor service and people start letting them know word has gotten around.

Businesses need to remember - one or two people may hear about it when they give excellent service, but hundreds hear when they provide poor service. And we are obligated to let fellow travelers know where the service is poor and where to good for excellent service.

Glad to see you at least recovered your deductible, but the next question. Will this raise you insurance rates?
Old 03-29-2017, 08:04 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifallsguy View Post
Just an FYI. I left a message with Colerain RV, telling them I'm aware how they were treating a customer whose rig was broken into while it was in for service. When a salesman called and asked where I was located (southern Georgia), he just laughed. My only comment to his laugh was "think about it, if I'm in southern GA and know about this, just how many people in your sales area know about it?" He sputtered , said goodbye and hung up.

I doubt this helped at all, but the reaction by the salesman shows the power of spreading the word of poor service and people start letting them know word has gotten around.

Businesses need to remember - one or two people may hear about it when they give excellent service, but hundreds hear when they provide poor service. And we are obligated to let fellow travelers know where the service is poor and where to good for excellent service.

Glad to see you at least recovered your deductible, but the next question. Will this raise you insurance rates?
I don't see how you calling would help the OP's cause. Especially since the matter is not closed yet. ie.. bill isn't paid yet. Just sayin.
Old 03-29-2017, 09:07 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jloco View Post
I don't see how you calling would help the OP's cause. Especially since the matter is not closed yet. ie.. bill isn't paid yet. Just sayin.
The OP has said they took the $500 off the bill, so it looks to be settled.

Having owned a business and dealt with more suppliers than I care to count, I've found businesses don't want bad publicity, especially when it is coming from outside their immediate area. Someone who is out of their "sales area" but let's them know word of their behavior or treatment of customers is getting around would get (some) attention from an owner who care about their reputation.

I don't claim by any means a contact from across the country has any effect on this case or any company, but it can give them pause to consider how they act.

I, for one, do check forums I belong to for dealers (TV and TT) along my expected route for any reviews. I'd rather have something in my pocket, should I need support, rather than walk into a shop that has recommendations or complaints, having some real idea what to expect. And I do understand some reviews are posted by members who have an axe to grind.

I learned the hard way when a vehicle broke down about 150 miles from home and a shop told me I needed to replace the differential on my wife's car (she was on a business trip). I drove out with a car hauler to bring it back. I look at it and found it was just an axle seal. They wanted to charge" $1700 for a repair of less than $150 (and how do you prove they did replace the differential?). Since I had the car hauler, I took it back home where my regular shop repaired it for about $100. The major car manufacturer who franchised that dealer/shop did hear from me and I received replies both from the dealer and the manufacturer.

I know you cannot have warnings for every shop you may have to stop at, but I do believe those who we do hear about need to know the word for poor service is spreading among those who use their type of service.

My opinion. I respect those who don't agree with me.
Old 03-29-2017, 11:02 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by jloco View Post
I don't see how you calling would help.
X-2..

Especially after the problem was taken to the GM he made it right.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 11:08 AM   #18

My experience is that you have to get to the decision maker to get things resolved. Sometimes that takes a while.

In regards to sharing this story and others calling in on the OP's behalf... it could go two ways.

One side is that it gets resolved (which apparently it did). The other is the dealer takes the position that he is going to get trashed on the internet either way...why take the financial loss.

Unless explicitly asked, I would not be calling the dealer on the OP's behalf... that's kind of sticking your nose in where it doesn't belong, and could easily make things go sideways.

**** happens, that's why we have insurance.
Old 03-29-2017, 11:58 AM   #19

It did not raise our insurance rates but that was my first concern and my first question to my insurance agent, who I've been friends with since elementary school. I'm a little too honest at times and told the claims rep that the dealership was at fault by leaving my doors unlocked and they (State Farm) was getting hosed on this deal. They replaced everything I asked without a single question, so I couldn't be any happier with State Farm with how well they took care of me.

I'm going to start another post soliciting advice for new owners on things they should do when taking their trailers in for service/warranty work to help other new owners before they have to learn the hard way, I'm writing a post for our blog to share on Facebook and Instagram. I figure if it helps one new owner, it's worth it.

I'm picking it up Saturday, I'll have a walk through video detailing all the things that needed to be fixed and how it turned out.
Beach Cart XL
Old 03-29-2017, 02:27 PM   #20

I'm pretty sure in most states the shop owner would be at least partially responsible no matter what is on a form.....
Your Car Was Damaged While In The Shop. Who Pays?
This details a car damaged while in a shop's care, but the trailer isn't much different....