Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-05-2012, 09:22 PM   #1

camping etiquete where did it go??

Okay i need to vent so bear with me..
I just got back from a few days at our trailer. We have it on permanent site in the middle of the campground. Directly across the road is a small childrens swing set and climbing unit. We picked this spot for the access to the swings for our 2yo. The bath house is six roads over in each direction from our site. My brother has his pinnacle just across from us along side the play area. Now my problem is Adults walking through the sites headed to the bath house or what seems to just be wandering through the campground. I dont mean walking through empty sites I am talking about right through the middle of my site walking around the fire ring and chairs. I moved my firewood trying to build a wall in the front. I have 7 potted trees about 3 ft high out front by the road spaced like a hedgerow. nothing is working. I understand the excited child running for the last swing and that is cool but the adults has to stop.. How do you handle this without a confrontation. We have called the manager several times they are on speed dial but every weekend it is a new culprit. I dont want to bring the dogs because of the children I really need some advice before I go off on someone and end up needing bail money.....
rheyco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 09:47 PM   #2

Been there done that. I have a temporary solution to the temporary camp situation which won't help you

Regarding a permanent site? I'm going to watch this thread with interest as we may have a permanent site in the distant future
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 09:58 PM   #3

I avoid walking through campsites if possible. You could erect a temporary fence to discourage cut throughs.
Previous RV's: '03 MobileScout Titan 29DBS; '01 Sunnybrook Lite 2708 SLE; '99 Coleman Utah
Previous TV's: '02 Chevy Suburban 2500 8.1 4.10; '99 Chevy Express 1500 5.7
drfife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 10:53 PM   #4

When you rent a campsite it is like your property. When we have a person cutting through I say, "excuse me, can I help you?"
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 02:33 AM   #5

I hear ya, we were at a state park during July27-August 29 just out side of Worster Mass. and there was a very large group of campers that had there music cranked up. and i mean so loud you could hear it all over the park, and if you like the spanish music you would have enjoyed it. needless to say where was the park ranger at about 10:00 am? the H.Q. was locked up and no one to be found. This was our first time there and we will not go back there. good thing Campers World was close by in N.H. Also a few years back a young kid probably 4 -5 years old comes running into our site heading to the bathroom and little did he know the dog was leased to the table. man did he stop in a hurry and walk the opposite direction.

2011 GMC Serria Ext Cab LB
2012 Jayflight 22FB
edowsfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 03:27 AM   #6

X2 on Clutch's suggestion of "excuse me - can I help you ?", and I also think that the temporary fence on a permanent campsite IS a supportive suggestion. We camped recently for a week in a CG where most of the permanent and seasonal sites had some type of fence on or around it, and no one had any problem with that, so why not erect some type of decorative barrier that should discourage walk-throughs ??
Retired at last !

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
tinlizzie23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 08:47 AM   #7

I would erect a sign that said, " Watch out for DOG POOP ".......this has to bed the worst thing, next to an actual explosive land mine of course. :hihi:
w/ active anti-sway
JAMMFAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 09:19 AM   #8

No suggestions with respect to a solution but I second the concept that when I rent a site to a certain extent it becomes my property for the time I rent it. If I'm at a campground and I have to walk from point A to point B I walk on the common area...the road...and wouldn't think of walking onto another lot unless invited. In my mind this is common courtesy.

2018 Jayco 28RLS
2012 F-250 6.2L 3.73
Equalizer Hitch
Yamaha 2400ISHC
2edgesword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 12:55 PM   #9

This is a good thread. A long time ago we had the same problem so I strategically (or so I thought) hung a clothes line and then hung some beach towels from it to deter "foot traffic". I felt that was a good idea until I saw people walking thru the towels. So I agree, some sore of tempory fencing (as long as you get approval from the CG first).

2000 10' popup
2000 30' with triple bunks.
2011 25BHS
2016 34RSBS
Type-A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 02:15 PM   #10

Try stringing some fishing line about a foot off the ground! :hihi:

Gibby3275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 03:52 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibby3275 View Post
Try stringing some fishing line about a foot off the ground! :hihi:

Amen to that one. :hihi:
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 04:16 PM   #12

This happened to us at our local county fair 2 weeks ago. I thought I lucked out having an end spot b/c I was able to take advantage of a slight breeze, but we were bombarded with people (mostly young teenagers) cutting through our outdoor living space even while we're sitting there! I even came outside to two teenage boys sitting in our chairs!! The worst part was that we were up against an orange nylon temporary fence and with our slides out, only left less than 2ft of space. People were constantly walking through there! I was so hoping to hear some "thunks" in the dark as a sign that someone walked directly into a unseen slide.
I also agree that this is YOUR spot for the time you are there and boundaries should be respected. That is one reason why we take our bikes everywhere b/c it allows us a quicker passage via roads to get to shower house/playground.
This is a fantastic topic! Hope to hear more.
Old 08-06-2012, 04:44 PM   #13

The sad thing is if they dont have the common decency to know what respect is ..well if you say something to them about what they are doing wrong in your opinion,they surely dont have the comprehension skills to internalize that information either and will probally come back in the late evening for some payback!!! The world has gotten away from us a bit......
Old 08-06-2012, 06:50 PM   #14

My wife just came up with a good one.. "just ask them their name and when they ask what for tell them we are going to put them on our guest list." I got a chuckle out of that...
rheyco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 07:23 PM   #15

I have no problem confronting people who are not respectful of others at campgrounds. Last year we were staying at a Provincial Park and at about 10PM a group of teenage campers starting getting very loud. I called the park office and did not get an answer, so I took a drive up to the park office and found it vacant. When the noise continued until after midnight, I jumped in my SUV, drove over to the offending group, pulled up with the front of my truck facing the group and hit every offroad light on my truck, along with the highbeams, illuminating their site in very bright light. I then got out of my truck and in a very authoratative voice, instructed the group to quiet down or face being evicted. I then gave them a lecture on campground etiquette and after they appologized, I headed back to my campsite, only to be stopped by another camper on the way, asking what took me so long. Apparently I acted with such authority that other campers thought I was the park Ranger. The next morning, I made a visit to the park office and gave a similar lecture to the park Warden about responsibility. The Park Warden then called the police and the two of them paid a visit to the offending campers and had them pack up and leave. Sometimes justice does prevail. My advice to others is not to accept behaviour that you would not accept at your own home as this is your temporary place of residence and you deserve to expect the same privacy and respect as you would at home.
tnka trk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 09:14 PM   #16

tnka trk,
Looks like I need some offroad lights on my TV!!! Sounds exactly like something I would do.
imaynard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 09:15 PM   #17

First i have to agree that if someone has enough disrespect to walk straight through your site then in most cases it'sonly going to escelate from confrontation. So I would agree with the temporary fencing strategy first then move into the fishing line tactic.

My second and favorite choice would be a sign, a large one at that states warning; toll road ahead, 1 beer for a one way shortcut to the swings or 12 pack for a daily pass, see grumpy man to pay toll.

Worst case is that most people might actually take you up on it but at least they are aware that you are annoyed by the passing through.

I can't stand the speeders in the campgrounds or the lack of respect that comes with some individuals out there with trespassing as I see it. I do find it more in state locations overa l though.

I pay for a site as do they and it's my property for the rental period.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 09:22 PM   #18

It seems to me I find more and more just clueless. Most people don't even realize there being disrespectful until you confront them. We've been lucky so far on the places we've visited, but if we run into problems, I have no problem confronting the issue.

2013 White Hawk 28 DSBH
2011 Jay Feather X23J (traded-in)
2011 Ford F-150 XLT w/towing package
RoadMaster Active Suspension
Reese Trunnion Bar WDH w/Dual Cam sway control
jdorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 02:18 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutch View Post

Amen to that one. :hihi:
now that's some funny stuff, that reminds my of when we went to NASCAR race in Ct and we had the streaker whom tripped over a piece of rope someone used to rope off there area.

2011 GMC Serria Ext Cab LB
2012 Jayflight 22FB
edowsfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 05:52 AM   #20

Just returned from our first ever stay at a private campground. Our site was next to a well designated walkway that allowed access from other rows of sites to the bathrooms. We had a continual parade of people taking a shortcut through our site to get to the bathrooms, we are talking about at least 20 people just in the first hour we were set up, even people walking under the awning. We were sitting outside with some friends when a whole family with marshmallo sticks in hand started to pass through, I said " can I help you" they all stopped and stared at me with a "deer in headlights look". My friends said, oh don't mind them, they are nice and everybody does is. I realized that many people just don't understand the campground etiquete. My daughter created some nice signs on the back of paper plates that indicated to please use the walkway. Worked pretty well. One fell down and the parade began again. My observation is that everyone seemed to do it, no matter what site you were at, ours was just a lot worse because of the location. Other that this, we had a great time camping. Just have to accept that you will be packed in like sardienes in a can. I think we will stick with state campgrounds, just a lot more space. I know, people will walk through you site there too, but not as much.

2015 Starcraft Travel Star 299BHU Black Pearl Edition
2011 Jayco X23J (traded in)
2013 Ford F150 FX4 SuperCrew 6.2 Max Tow
7700 GVWR 3.73 E-locker
tslarson is offline   Reply With Quote