Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Closed Thread

Old 07-07-2013, 07:58 PM   #21

It's kinda hard to tell if our Mindi eats differently when camping - she always eats everything available, even dropped lima beans and pieces of lettuce. Once she even ate a dropped peanut, shell and all. If it's edible, and you drop it, it's GONE.
Retired at last !

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Old 07-08-2013, 07:22 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzie23 View Post
It's kinda hard to tell if our Mindi eats differently when camping - she always eats everything available, even dropped lima beans and pieces of lettuce. Once she even ate a dropped peanut, shell and all. If it's edible, and you drop it, it's GONE.
One lab likes to eat and drink out of stainless steel bowls. I told her she will have to "get over it", we will be going to plastic (having to watch the weight pulling with a van) I'm sure getting to go on a trip will smooth that over with her.

Any experience with dry shampoo for dogs? They say being prepared is the key to camping.....
Old 03-07-2014, 07:30 PM   #23

Camping with a dog

My 5-year-old Brittany has been camping since he was a pup. At first, he wasn't allowed on the furniture at home. But the first time he got into my old trailer, he jumped right up onto the bed, where he could see out the windows. Of course, after that, there was no keeping him off the furniture at home. He loves people and very rarely barks (except to go potty), so barking at passers by has never been a problem while camping. The first few times out, he wouldn't pee or poop the first day. He'd spend all his "outdoor" time sniffing where every other dog had gone for the last forty years. Now he's pretty good about it - but we have to find the "perfect" spot. As for eating, he wouldn't eat for a couple of days the first several times we went out; he's much better about it now that he's had some camping experience.

My old trailer was only 7-1/2' wide, and when he was standing in the galley between the sink and the dinette, it was a chore to get around him. New trailer has a slider, so there will be plenty of room. Can't wait for our first outing in it. I'll tell you one thing, though, after a long cold day of hunting, it sure feels good to have him curled up next to me in bed at night.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC00028.jpg  
Old 03-08-2014, 12:35 AM   #24

Playing devil's advocate…
I hate camping with a dog. It's worse than camping with a toddler…
Where is the dog?
What is he eating that some other camper has left around?
Why is he barking at nothing, and waking the whole campground?
Why is he knocking over the neighbors kids?
Can we get him off the bed?
What is that smell?
Please tell me you have some horse tranquilizers!
2x Honda 2K
Old 03-12-2014, 09:42 PM   #25
Site Team

Our full blooded MUTT has not missed a camping trip in 11 years

TV 2005 Ram 3500 CC LB SRW Cummins POWER
2014 Jayco Jayflight 32BHDS Prodigy P3 brake controller.Reese dual cam 1400/14000
Old 03-12-2014, 10:39 PM   #26

My Tunces goes on every trip with us and she only sleeps with me in the back bed of our Hybrid. She does NOT like seafood at all but will eat all sorts of bad stuff she finds on her walks. She has never slept on the floor and has her own large day sofa at home and a regular bed at night. Talk about a Queen.
Old 03-13-2014, 04:38 AM   #27
Site Team

We took our newest puppy on her first camping trip to Fl with Elle. They really like camping. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1394707119.035923.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	13.9 KB
ID:	11878
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
Old 03-13-2014, 05:50 AM   #28

I do not like dogs however camping with dogs can go either way and it falls on the owner.I know we don't have any inconsiderate dog owners on this site but if we did I have two simple questions.
1. If you know your dog is a cronic barker and doesn't shut the hell up why bring it?
2. You know your dog craps on the ground why not pick up after it?

A little common sense goes along way.

Old 03-13-2014, 06:59 AM   #29
Site Team

IMO anyone who can't pick up their dogs waste should be asked to leave on the first offense. They are great companions but if they disrupt others camping experience, it is the owners responsibility to take action.
Gator roll-up bed cover
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
Old 03-13-2014, 09:03 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
IMO anyone who can't pick up their dogs waste should be asked to leave on the first offense. They are great companions but if they disrupt others camping experience, it is the owners responsibility to take action.
Well stated.

Old 03-13-2014, 10:06 AM   #31

I take my 14 yr old border collie mix, Romeo. He just wants to be near me and is a "no maintenance" dog. He's great company too!
Old 03-13-2014, 10:11 AM   #32

Testing a photo upload (since the revamped forum...)
Attached Thumbnails
DSC_0129.jpg  
Old 03-13-2014, 11:14 AM   #33

We full time with 3 dogs, one is 16 yo though and sleeps all day. We have one dog bed under the kitchen table and one in the bunk house room. 2 are ****zu's and about a 40lb. mutt haha they ride in the Excursion on dog beds in the back for HOURS without having to potty. Good travel companions

Old 03-13-2014, 11:30 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adk Camper View Post
I do not like dogs however camping with dogs can go either way and it falls on the owner.I know we don't have any inconsiderate dog owners on this site but if we did I have two simple questions.
1. If you know your dog is a cronic barker and doesn't shut the hell up why bring it?
2. You know your dog craps on the ground why not pick up after it?

A little common sense goes along way.
To respond to your post, please do not take offense. You dislike dogs so you already have a bias towards them.....most dogs bark because of noises and guess who it would be who is making noise at a campground.....the other campers who most often breaking the quiet time hours etc. Humans yell talk loud and play music....it is no different. Children cry etc.

As for your other point of not picking up dog crap....who said no one was not picking up after them.....it also cuts both ways though....lots of people who often complain have their own issues that they should deal with...garbage etc.
It is all about respect......I fully intend to bring my dog with us when we go to our seasonal site and I have no doubt that he will bark on occasion when people make noise etc, but it will not be his fault as he will only be responding to the individuals who make noise.
We all need to take a good look at our selves to ensure that everyone is enjoying our camping experiences.
Common sense is not all that common.....

2013 F150 EXL Screw 5.0 4x4 3:55 locking ( not towing the above trailer with this truck)

Spending my children's inheritances on my toys!
Old 03-13-2014, 12:20 PM   #35
Site Team

The discussion of dogs in campgrounds can clearly be a sensitive one from both points of view. However the OP`s initial post was not intended to start a debate, but was rather asking for tips about camping with dogs. Let`s get back on track.
Old 03-13-2014, 03:42 PM   #36

I love bringing my dog with us, I couldn't see leaving him at home, and he wouldn't have any of it. Last time we were headed out, he got in the truck before we were ready and wouldn't get out! I just put the windows down and left him in there while we finished up; he was happy as a clam.

As for pointers, I have only a couple:
1) keep them well hydrated,
2) pick up after them (I use whatever I have, but AKC makes some nice products),
3) keep their paws clear and their claws trimmed, nothing like a burr in the pads to ruin his day, or having long claws that cause harmful walking posture
4) as mine gets older, I find myself having to slow him down a little and help him up the stairs or into the truck. He has a little arthritis, so he doesn't get around as well as he used to, but he still tries to run around like a puppy! And sometimes we just have to let him rest in the trailer for a while; he doesn't like it, but he tolerates it and has not torn anything up since right after we adopted him (almost a decade ago!).

I think if you treat your dog like one of the family, they have as much fun (or more) as you do!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Old 03-13-2014, 06:04 PM   #37
Site Team

We walk our dogs a lot and they are very content to sleep when we do.
Lots of opportunities to play
Gator roll-up bed cover
Old 03-13-2014, 07:01 PM   #38

Our dog does really well camping. Loves to take walks and will chill out under the table and relax when we do. Our problem is the car ride. He is 5 and we have never had an easy ride with him. he doesn't get sick he just gets sooo super excited. We crate him and it is still crazy. Is there a doggy downer??
2017 Jayco Jayflight 28bhbe Elite and thermal package
2014 Jayco White Hawk 28dsbh(traded in)
Old 03-14-2014, 07:49 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesuezee View Post
Is there a doggy downer??
Benadryl is safe for dogs; good for allergies and makes them sleepy. Google it to find out the dosage for your particular beast, but generally they tolerate it well. Try it at home first though as it actually makes some dogs more hyper instead of calming them down.

If I took ours for a short walk and gave him a benadryl before the trip, he'd be out like a light. But he travels well, so I don't have to worry about it. I use this treatment for thunderstorms (he gets CRAZY when it thunders), and sometimes it works.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Old 03-14-2014, 08:36 AM   #40

sask834,no offense taken but I have a feeling one was taken with you as you steered the topic into another direction in the defense of dogs. I merely stated two tips.I think you should take another look at my post as you will see I stated CHRONIC barking not the occasional bark and simply pick up the dog crap as my second tip.
sask934 your right,common sense is not all that common which is probably due to the fact there is a fine line between a lack of common sense and stupidity.

Closed Thread