Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Closed Thread

Old 07-01-2013, 09:08 AM   #1

Post Camping with Dogs

I'm new to this site and love it. Just got Jayco TT/184BH/2013. One of the reasons we wanted to tt camp was because we acquired a 2nd dog (a gift). Yes, it seems a little crazy to camp with 2 labs. LOL Always traveled with one, but with weight limits at hotels, and it costing as much for a dog as a person.....and now it being x2. You get the idea. Only a dog lover would understand. I've gotten the basic info from dog sites, but would be interested in hearing personal experiences and tips. Our first trip out we had ac problems and 92 degree weather. Didn't get to spend the night, but I have to say the two dogs were real troopers....just went with the flow...no barking, etc. that I was concerned about.
Old 07-01-2013, 12:01 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

My dog loves to camp and ride in the car. That all helps.
We try to stick to a routine like at home.
Morning walk and evening walk. Any sightseeing during the day is icing on the cake.
We put her on a 15' lead and she loves watching all the activities around the CG.
On a travel day, she don't eat breakfast. We leave at 6am and arrive by noon. Stop at McDonalds and she gets some nuggets.

When she's ready for bed, she pulls her lead directly to the front door. That means I am ready to go to bed lol

9,000 miles and 9weeks just recently. She loved every minute.

Hope yours has as much fun as ours does.

Best regards,
Doug

Cape Coral, Florida
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7 V8
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Old 07-01-2013, 12:15 PM   #3

Some typical basic etiquette found in many c/g's:
-pick up the poo (whether you are out for a walk, or behind your rv at your campsite).
-leash each dog (most c/g's have 6'-10' max leash requirements within the c/g itself)
-leash dogs even while you are sitting around by your campfire
-don't leave your dog outside unattended if you leave your site (some cg's frown on leaving them in your rv if you are gone site-seeing for a day). If you do, consider the weather... if hot and electric power fails, your animals will not have a/c.
-keep a copy of your dog's vaccinations certificate (we also have the veterinarian and copy of Breezi's license)

Old 07-01-2013, 04:24 PM   #4

Click image for larger version

Name:	PeachesandMokey.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	8848
Our 2 dogs are slow to warm up to other dogs and tend to bark and put on a show for dominance which freaks some dog owners out. Thankfully the 2 princesses hate getting wet and we keep a spray bottle handy and if they miss-behave they get a squirt. Actually all we have to do is pick up the bottle and they stop.
We have a couple of the cable dog leashes for around the camp, 2 different colours (makes untangling easier) and tie them to a tree or picnic table so they have some freedom around the camp. They have a couple designated door mats that they use to sleep on that we put in the trailer at night and then out under the awning during the day that way they know where their spots are. They are more comfortable with some sort of routine in place.
healthi covered a bunch of points that are good as well, always keep poo bags handy! Can't always count on dispensers at parks to be full so the walking leashes have a roll on them at all times.
Old 07-01-2013, 05:31 PM   #5
Site Team

We also google off leash dog parks and have found some great ones in places we frequent. Be sure and read the user reviews. Our jackapoo has a regular routine and we like to wear her out at off leash parks when possible.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
Old 07-01-2013, 06:58 PM   #6

Our dog loves it in fact all our dogs in the past loved it. They can tell when you are getting ready to go camping we had dogs that hated driving in cars but loved to camp we had one dog that was wimpy every time she herd the air turn on she would go to the door of the camper to go in. We would let her in and she would go to every floor vent to find where the air was coming out of like the house. But to the people who thank there dogs are friendly and let them off leash,not all dogs are my dog is on a leash so she won't heart any other dogs. so please put your dog on a leash and clean up there poo thank you.
Old 07-01-2013, 08:55 PM   #7

we use two of the portable dog pens hooked together for our two dogs while they are outside. they will lay for hours and watch the campground activities. at night we bring them in and they sleep on the same dog beds we use at home....happy camping!
Old 07-01-2013, 09:41 PM   #8

I've been camping with dogs since I was a kid in the 60's. Currently we have a 70 lb one year old Golden Doodle (aka expensive mutt). He loves camping and is tied to a 20 ft lead when we are at the site and sleeps where ever he wants in the trailer at night.

Can't imagine camping without a dog.
Old 07-02-2013, 04:47 AM   #9

We camp with 3 dogs. They are the main reason we got into camping. We live in the country where there aren't many people sounds and bark at anything that moves but camping, they are quiet! Go figure! I think it's because they get used to any type of noise out there and they know it's normal?
We put the seats up - Ram Quad Cab - in the back and use an old swing mattress which fit perfectly and is also sorta waterproof. They are comfy and it keeps the back seat clean.
We keep our little rat terrier in a kennel at night, just like at home. The kennel also serves as a table (we put a tray on top of it) to hold beverages and whatnots. The kennel door is left opened when we are there and often the sheltie lies in there as well. We bring their beds and some toys. If we leave the campground for a few hours without the dogs, we give them a nice long walk before, tire them out, then put them in the trailer, turn the air on or a fan, depending on temperature, turn the radio on, shut the blinds and they relax and have a nap. We worried they would bark when we first started so we'd leave, and I would sneek back to look and listen, they were very quiet. I even stepped up on the step to look in, and no noise! the chihuahua was looking straight at me! lol until I spoke, then they barked. I checked with neighbour and asked them, they do great.
We got them used to the trailer before starting to camp, we park at home so we would do the same routine, so that they would know this is also home.
We got a flexible pen for outside, two dogs fit in there if they want to, the rat terrier, loves it! it's shaded, his bed is in there, that makes one less dog on a lead that could tangle.
`
https://3dogsandacamper.tumblr.com
Old 07-02-2013, 07:56 PM   #10

Our Mindi (dachshund) is also known as "Camper Dog", because she knows the word "camp", and gets real excited when she hears it. Even on walks around our 4 acre home place, she would rather go to the camper instead of the house. Has her own bed in the living room during the day, and stands there expectantly when she knows it's time to move the bed to the floor of the bedroom for the night. Can't imagine camping without her !
Retired at last !

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Old 07-03-2013, 09:09 AM   #11

We fill a purple Rubbermaid bin with food and other "stuffs" for the trailer before we head out and our boy Rocky has figured out that when he sees the purple bin, very good things are about to happen! He goes bananas stomping his front paws and whining near the door. The first night we took him in the trailer he was definitely freaked out. Everytime the trailer made a noise or rocked a little bit when we stood up he was whimpering. Now we find him sprawled out, half on his bed, half on the kitchen floor snoring. I'd say he's adjusted well. . . .

2003 Ford F-250 XLT Lariat
6.0L Powerstroke V8
2013 Jayco JayFlight 24FBS
Equal-i-zer hitch
Tekonsha P3
Old 07-03-2013, 07:08 PM   #12

OK, I have to ask, do your dogs act weird when camping? I know my 2 dogs eat way less food and usually will not go poop for up to 48 hours! The younger dog especially won't pee or poop for a good 24 hours and we usually have to take the dogs separately for walks so they don't get 'distracted'. We have gone out 3 weekends so far this year and while there is improvement they still don't act normal.

Curious!
Old 07-03-2013, 08:25 PM   #13

Some dogs won't eat their food while camping, but they beg for table scraps and eat a lot of that, my dogs usually pee on everything in sight, marking their territory.

Be careful cause they like to drink water a lot, they will on occasion pick up a bug that can give them diarrhea and vomiting, we had one trip that both big dogs got really sick on the way home, we were very thankful for a large kennel and a pickup truck...

Also, all national forests have leash laws, regardless of in a campground or on trails

2011 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins
2012 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 297 BHS
Old 07-03-2013, 08:26 PM   #14

Some dogs won't eat their food while camping, but they beg for table scraps and eat a lot of that, my dogs usually pee on everything in sight, marking their territory.

Be careful cause they like to drink water a lot, they will on occasion pick up a bug that can give them diarrhea and vomiting, we had one trip that both big dogs got really sick on the way home, we were very thankful for a large kennel and a pickup truck...

Also, all national forests have leash laws, regardless of in a campground or on trails

Old 07-03-2013, 09:04 PM   #15

My dog doesn't eat the same while camping, or anywhere other than home. Pee isn't an issue, but my dog simply won't poop while leashed. I generally find a remote corner where I can let him off leash for 5-10 min to run a little and do his business. Typically we'll visit the same spot once in the Morning and evening.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
Old 07-03-2013, 09:29 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubhouse View Post
Typically we'll visit the same spot once in the Morning and evening.
Yes, we try to do the same once they find the 'perfect spot'. Sometimes we will use the 10 foot lead from camp to allow the one dog more privacy since she also seems to not go with an audience. I'd love to let them off leash for a bit but unless we are out in the bush the girls will run wild with excitement around the campground. They behave when we are in the wilderness for some strange reason.
Old 07-04-2013, 09:08 AM   #17

Our new TT is in the shop, so haven't had a full experience of camping with our two dogs. Our yellow lab likes woods or high grass to poo in, the silver lab (the young one) has no manners, will poo anywhere. LOL We also have to separate them to do their business. I can see letting them off leash in an uninhabited area. We have done that when traveling and they seem happier. I will have to watch the yellow lab..Loves water and if she sees any, she's gone. Since we are new to TT camping, I was reading that State Parks do not allow dogs on the trails. Seems some have designated trails for dogs? So, do you just not hike with your dogs? We have gone to Fall Creek Falls State Park, Tn for over 20 years and always taken our dog on the trails and no one has ever said anything. Also, do you find that people pick up after their dogs in campgrounds? The dog park I go to, it is terrible and there are bags and signs all over. One dog park over and I even cleaned up the entire park one morning, because others didn't follow the rules. Just wondering if that is a problem at campsites? Can't wait to go camping and see what reactions we get from the dogs.
Old 07-04-2013, 09:54 AM   #18

I haven't seen a campground that has had many unclaimed prizes probably because there are too many eyes watching during the day. I'd like to say all dog owners are responsible for their animals but I know it's not true. I do think campers are more courteous however.
Old 07-04-2013, 12:56 PM   #19

We are in oregon right now and just found out our 11 month old dog just came into her first heat. Something else to think about when camping with dogs. Off to walmart for some boys underwear and panty liners.

66 nights in 2016
61 nights in 2015
Old 07-04-2013, 07:07 PM   #20

My dogs know that we're going camping as soon as we start putting groceries in the trailer, then they are constantly worried that they are getting left behind, when it's time to hook up the trailer, our golden retriever will get in the back of the truck and wait forever and never jump out in anticipation of going camping

Closed Thread