Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-03-2014, 06:30 AM   #1

Customer Service - Nope

I stopped at a Pilot Station yesterday to fill up my diesel tank which I did to the tune of over $100.00 then pulled up to a parking space by the front door next to the ice machine. I went in and told the clerk, after waiting in line since there was only one clerk working, I needed 4 bags of ice. She proceeded to tell me "The out front ice is empty, but the out back is full". I asked if I could drive to the outback one since I was getting 40 lbs of ice. She said "outback one is for big trucks". I asked again if I could drive to the out back one and again she said "outback one is for big trucks". I guess she didn't know how to answer a question.

So I told her loud enough for everyone to hear, then sell this 40 lbs of ice to "big trucks" and out the door I went.

I went down the road about a mile to a Dollar Store and they had an ice machine that was "out front" and cheaper than Pilot anyway. I feel better now.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 06:36 AM   #2
Site Team

Kudos to you Ed! I'd have done the same thing. My money's good anywhere.

TV: 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD | Crew Cab | Std. Box | 4WD | Duramax/Allison
RV: 2000 Jayco Eagle 266 | FBS | TT
PREVIOUS: 1986 Coleman Laramie pop-up -- Still in the family!!!

FPM III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 06:39 AM   #3

Pilot/Flying J, like many other companies, provides a convenient way to complain online. http://www.pilotflyingj.com/customer...ce-form-portal. When I get treated poorly I make sure to let companies know. I have had good results from doing this. Only one company never responded to my concerns about something and that was Speedway.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 07:12 AM   #4

I see plenty of trailers behind tow vehicles in the "big truck" lanes behind Pilot all the time. I don't think I would have even bothered asking a clerk. I would have just driven around and loaded up. Pilot service is only as good as the clerk working the counter however and most of them are only there because they can't find a job anywhere else. They can't even keep managers in a lot of their stores. They change like monthly or at least quarterly.

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 08:41 AM   #5

lol.....do they have security out back making sure that only the big trucks go there? Just do it !!
Roadwarrior56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 10:55 AM   #6

Yeah, I would have given her an odd look and said "ummm, Ok got it! Thanks!" and just gone and got my ice. Unless there's some kind of guard or gate or something, who's gonna say anything? I drive around in the "big truck area" of truck stops all the time, I just try to stay outta the way so as not to get run over! LOL!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 11:33 AM   #7

Thumbs down Pilot Truck Stops

I fill up my Diesel all time "at the Big Boy Pumps" never had a problem, better than trying to turn a 35' trailer and truck in the car fueling area. It does provoke me when a fellow RV guy is in the RV Island and "parks" his unit while he goes in the store!! Be nice & move so the next guy can fuel.

I stopped @ a Loves and went to use my credit card @ the Big boy pumps and would not work, had to walk in the rain, to the customer service counter and"pre-pay" don't stop @ Loves anymore! i agree customer service does not exist anymore, and when it does grab it! Thanks for allowing me to vent, but Happy Camping and enjoy the fall colors.

BuckeyeJim
Columbus Oh
buckeyejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 02:13 PM   #8
Site Team

I can't get rig out of the car lanes. Use the truck exclusively and I am longer than a lot of them.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 03:55 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyejim View Post
It does provoke me when a fellow RV guy is in the RV Island and "parks" his unit while he goes in the store!! Be nice & move so the next guy can fuel.
Irks me too, but I have to admit I've also been guilty a time or two. The turnpike service plazas, especially in MA and NY, force your hand though. You have to use the car lanes as there's no gas out back, no way to get to the gas pumps from out back, and nowhere to park after leaving the gas pumps. After fueling it's either block the pumps or stop again at the next service plaza for a potty break, but that's usually what required the stop in the first place. In many of the plazas there's no good place to pull over before getting to the pumps either.

This is our first season and we haven't seen much of the country, but of the ten or so states we've driven through this year I found OH to be the most accommodating to RVers - specific parking areas with electric (for a small fee) and a dump station, dog parks, easy access to fuel, etc.
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 04:05 PM   #10

In addition to what you did Ed, I would have said to the clerk - my rig is 60 feet long. Do you consider it small?

I get more respect from the big rig drivers than most car drivers. I don't hesitate to drive and park in the big rig parking lots of a truck stop. Never had a problem, and often get a courteous nod and wave to boot.
Old 10-04-2014, 09:07 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by David472 View Post
In addition to what you did Ed, I would have said to the clerk - my rig is 60 feet long. Do you consider it small?

I get more respect from the big rig drivers than most car drivers. I don't hesitate to drive and park in the big rig parking lots of a truck stop. Never had a problem, and often get a courteous nod and wave to boot.
I may be wrong but I don't think the OP had his RV in tow. The way I read it, he was in his TV only?

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 03:42 AM   #12

You are correct troutslayer. I had already set up at Road Atlanta and was making an ice run and also filling up my truck for the return trip back to my home base. Unfortunately the race ended last night and this 5 day trip is almost over. Nothing left now but a 250 mile drive back.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
Old 10-05-2014, 04:49 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutslayer View Post
I may be wrong but I don't think the OP had his RV in tow. The way I read it, he was in his TV only?
My mistake. I had thought he was towing at the time.
Old 10-05-2014, 05:18 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by edatlanta View Post
You are correct troutslayer. I had already set up at Road Atlanta and was making an ice run and also filling up my truck for the return trip back to my home base. Unfortunately the race ended last night and this 5 day trip is almost over. Nothing left now but a 250 mile drive back.
Safe travels! Hope there's enough ice left for a Gin-n-Tonic when you get home .

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 06:03 PM   #15

Absolutely Skip.