Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-03-2015, 07:15 PM   #41

If he's used to it, he's a braver man than me! But I don't fault him too much. I think he was either very distracted (picture wifey in the truck saying "I'm divorcing you!" just as he was stepping out of the truck to dump), or just plain ignorant. Might have been the first time he used a dump station.

Bet he never makes that mistake again. And we've all made mistakes. Me for sure.
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 08:33 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE MEEKER View Post
I am like Camper Bob, I try to leave my site better and cleaner than when I found it. But when someone is inconsiderate, I will point it out, especially when it effects others.

Our family camped at a local state park this past Fourth of July Holiday. At the dump station, the jerk ahead of me left his bag of garbage behind instead of making the short walk and disposing it in the dumpster. That infuriated me so much that I grabbed the bag and took it home with me. I was hoping there would be a little gold nugget of information of who he was in his trash. Sure enough, the idiot put his reservation slip in the trash with his name and address on it. So I put his trash in a box and shipped it back to him via UPS with a little love letter inside telling him what an inconsiderate boob he was for leaving his trash at the dump station. I cost me $12.00 to ship, but to me, it was worth every penny.
I know a guy that owned some property near a state forest. He was constantly having people drive out from town to drop bags of trash on his property. Every time he found a bag he would take it home, sort though it to find mail or something with an address. Then he would return it to their front porch with a note that they forgot something when they went for a drive.
Old 08-03-2015, 10:24 PM   #43

I have been camping all of my life, 53 years. My Dad and my five brothers went camping all the time in pup tents.

Dear Old Dad taught us two things, respect the campsite by keeping it tidy and respect your camping neighbor by being a good scout, and be willing to lend a helping hand to your fellow camper at a moments notice.

I passed those traits on to my kids. They are grown now, but their best childhood memories involve camping with family and friends, especially “Nana & Pop” who came on just about every trip.

I am becoming more distressed with the behavior of the modern camper. You would never see the total lack of respect 20 years ago that you see today (excluding the occasional hippy who drank too much beer while playing The Grateful Dead very loud on his radio.)

Most campers are still very good stewards of the camping experience, but I am seeing more and more knuckleheads who respond to a piece of friendly advice of camping etiquette with their middle finger.

I guess it is just a sign of the times.
1996 Viking Pop-up
1979 Coleman 8 man cabin tent
1967 G.I Joe (hasbro) canvas pup tent
THE MEEKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 07:30 AM   #44

Quote:
I have been camping all of my life, 53 years. My Dad and my five brothers went camping all the time in pup tents.

Dear Old Dad taught us two things, respect the campsite by keeping it tidy and respect your camping neighbor by being a good scout, and be willing to lend a helping hand to your fellow camper at a moments notice.

I passed those traits on to my kids. They are grown now, but their best childhood memories involve camping with family and friends, especially “Nana & Pop” who came on just about every trip.

I am becoming more distressed with the behavior of the modern camper. You would never see the total lack of respect 20 years ago that you see today (excluding the occasional hippy who drank too much beer while playing The Grateful Dead very loud on his radio.)

Most campers are still very good stewards of the camping experience, but I am seeing more and more knuckleheads who respond to a piece of friendly advice of camping etiquette with their middle finger.

I guess it is just a sign of the times.
I see this in a lot of things; boating, shooting sports, camping ... I grew up doing all these things, and my dad taught me as his dad taught him and on up the line, with a healthy level of respect. I think a lot of people are getting into these hobbies at an older age, later in life. And as such, they never had an authority figure (like a mom or dad) teach them the right way to do it, so they either learn from "friends" or strangers or Youtube or never learn at all. I think a lot of these folks just don't have the desire, (or they're too lazy or prideful or ignorant or whatever) to learn the right way to do it, so they figure someone else will just come along clean it up.

Sad state of affairs indeed.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 08:19 AM   #45

sadly its not just campers who have no respect for their fellow citizens. We see it everywhere, folks are so self centered they have no common courtesy. Carts left blocking aisles in the grocery store as they walk away to look at something, leaving shopping carts in open spaces when the cart rack is 20' away. Forget about holding a door for someone, or offering the guy with one item to go ahead of you and your two baskets of stuff... Do you even get a thank you wave when you slow down to let someone to merge ? Our society has become I'm the only person that matters, screw everyone else.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 08:52 AM   #46

It begins with you and I. Mom always said "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you." I try to live that way, hopefully have passed this on to my children and grandchildren, who are hopefully passing it on to others. Maybe our example of the correct behavior will influence some to change their ways.
gloryb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 08:59 AM   #47

When I was young my Grand-Mother use to say "I'm glad I am on my way out" I didn't understand that at first But now one of my sayings is I am glad I am on my way out. It is a shame the way people have gotten and how they think others should do for them and screw everyone else. People today want respect but they have no idea how to respect others. Not all but way to many.
bedrck46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 09:19 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags999 View Post
sadly its not just campers who have no respect for their fellow citizens. We see it everywhere, folks are so self centered they have no common courtesy. Carts left blocking aisles in the grocery store as they walk away to look at something, leaving shopping carts in open spaces when the cart rack is 20' away. Forget about holding a door for someone, or offering the guy with one item to go ahead of you and your two baskets of stuff... Do you even get a thank you wave when you slow down to let someone to merge ? Our society has become I'm the only person that matters, screw everyone else.

Completely agree. Just yesterday, I was in the grocery store and this woman stops midway through the entrance vestibule and starts reading the coupons. Directly in the middle. No one could get their cart by. Then, she sees me standing and waiting and continues to stand there for another 10-15 seconds. My wife wasn't having it. She pushed by her and said "Excuse me". The lady gave her a look like, "Can't you see I'm looking at this paper?" Unbelievable.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 10:41 AM   #49

TWP723
The stores are also part of that problem They place items just inside of the entrance that causes people to stop and look.
bedrck46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 10:52 AM   #50

True true!
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 11:56 AM   #51

I remember when I first started driving (almost 4 decades ago) when you let someone get ahead of you or turn out in front of you, you received or gave a wave of thanks. Now people just go..
2016 CTS 4 2.0T
2001 Oldsmobile Aurora 4.0
2015 Chrysler 200C AWD
33 RLDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 02:02 PM   #52

He didn't say anything back. I wasn't close enough to him for it to escalate into a confrontation either. Didn't want to get into a fight about it, especially since both my boys were with me.
lilbald1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 08:41 PM   #53

Just last week I saw a guy place his stinky slinky on the picnic table before storing it.

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 08:46 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutslayer View Post
Just last week I saw a guy place his stinky slinky on the picnic table before storing it.
Ugh! Now that's just wrong!
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 11:43 AM   #55

Way to go. GENIOUS!
Reese Tekonsha Prodigy Controller/Husky hitch
1992 Coleman Chesapeake Pop-Up (5yr ago)
jk84mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 12:57 PM   #56

Thumbs up

Quote:
I am like Camper Bob, I try to leave my site better and cleaner than when I found it. But when someone is inconsiderate, I will point it out, especially when it effects others.

Our family camped at a local state park this past Fourth of July Holiday. At the dump station, the jerk ahead of me left his bag of garbage behind instead of making the short walk and disposing it in the dumpster. That infuriated me so much that I grabbed the bag and took it home with me. I was hoping there would be a little gold nugget of information of who he was in his trash. Sure enough, the idiot put his reservation slip in the trash with his name and address on it. So I put his trash in a box and shipped it back to him via UPS with a little love letter inside telling him what an inconsiderate boob he was for leaving his trash at the dump station. I cost me $12.00 to ship, but to me, it was worth every penny.
lol...Awesome!
Blue Ox SwayPro WDH
2006 Honda Ridgeline (retired TV)
charles_cincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 08:30 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCx213 View Post
Today, I finally found out what it was like to wait in line for the sanidump at the Provincial park that we stayed at....I watched each person ahead of me dump and clean their tanks and i have to say most of them were pretty efficient...until the fellow ahead of me in a older travel trailer gets out, grabs the hose from his bumper and opens the cap for his drain after he pulled the lever for the black tank, needless say what happened next....he quickly closed the valve, calmly walks over to the water hose, hoses himself off and walks over to open the sanidump cover, hoses the pad. connects the hose to the drain and sticks the hose in. now, he is not wearing gloves and the odour was horrendous, as it was drawn into the cab of my truck and my wife and I had to bail out and stand away.The couple in the RV behind us did the same. I yelled to him that I had disposable gloves that he could have and he said no but thanks and apologized. He said that he was a plumber by trade and was used to it....
At one of our first outings, we were behind a class C at the dump station. We watched the whole procedure. Every thing was fine except the person had no gloves. They didn't even wash their hands before driving away. It grossed my wife out. About a half an hour down the road, I asked her if she thought that person was riding along eating Cheetos licking the powder off their fingers about now. I thought she was going to hurl. lol
Old 08-09-2015, 03:00 AM   #58

Illegal maybe??? I know when I checked into a campground down in Florida last April, I was told that a screw in type fitting was required by law to dump into their dump station. Which they conveniently sold just in case I needed one. Can't just stick the hose in the hole there.
tugboat95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 03:16 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbles75 View Post
At one of our first outings, we were behind a class C at the dump station. We watched the whole procedure. Every thing was fine except the person had no gloves. They didn't even wash their hands before driving away. It grossed my wife out. About a half an hour down the road, I asked her if she thought that person was riding along eating Cheetos licking the powder off their fingers about now. I thought she was going to hurl. lol
Well I do wash my hands but I rarely wear the gloves. They usually tear either putting on or taking off. I'm very careful as for just what I touch and my stuff is kept clean. Also I "work" in the stuff and worse. Elbow deep sometimes. (gloves are kind of useless then) So no, it doesn't bother me either. Doesn't mean I like it, just used to it. But but but...I scrub my hands and fingernails when done with a small amount of bleach and other strong soap.
tugboat95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 04:01 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by tugboat95 View Post
Well I do wash my hands but I rarely wear the gloves. They usually tear either putting on or taking off. I'm very careful as for just what I touch and my stuff is kept clean. Also I "work" in the stuff and worse. Elbow deep sometimes. (gloves are kind of useless then) So no, it doesn't bother me either. Doesn't mean I like it, just used to it. But but but...I scrub my hands and fingernails when done with a small amount of bleach and other strong soap.
X2

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote