Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-05-2016, 06:50 PM   #1
Diversity in RVing?

I recently saw a "Go RVing" commercial about Going Away with your family and was struck by the near total lack of diversity in the commercial.

Here is the commercial I saw:

So I went to the "Go RVing website and checked out their commercials that they have online. Here is what I think I saw:

One commercial out of a total of nine actually had an african american family. All of the rest were white families. There was one where an african american child was playing on the beach with some white kids, but she never showed up later in the commercial. No hispanics, no asian americans, no mixed families...just white.

And not only white, but young and white.

Now the vast number of people that I see with RVs are not young, most are middle aged and above, the age groups that actually have the cash to spend on RVs. And yes, most are white. Indeed, on a recent labor day trip inside of New Mexico, a predominantly hispanic state, the RV park that I was at one would have been hard pressed to find a hispanic person other than my wife.

Does RV-ing sort of play to a certain ethnic group? Just wondering. Maybe I am being overly sensitive. What do you think?

Home: El Paso Texas
Jayco Grayhawk 31FS 2010
TimHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 06:59 PM   #2
I think perhaps you are being a bit over sensitive - I'm actually not really sure what point you are trying to make. I'm not agreeing or disagreeing - just not sure where you are going...

2016 Ford F150 Scab - 3.5 Ecoboost HD Tow - Roadmaster Active Suspension - Equalizer 12K WD Hitch

2016 Jayco 28BHBE - Progressive Industries EMS-HW30C

Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 07:01 PM   #3
I've been to 6 campgrounds in the last 2 weeks. Close to 100 families, or 'groups'. More actually... Didn't see a single black family. Not that I've never seen them camping in RV's - but the manufacturers are marketing to the demographic that purchases 95% of the RV's. That's all. That commercial you linked to showed what, 3 different families? Is it wrong that the white boy didn't have a black sister or mom?

The 1 commercial out of 9 that showed a black family - mathematically, that is a fair ratio, more than fair. They only make up 12% of the population and buy a tiny fraction of the RV's! I think you're just used to seeing black families being overly represented in mass media and think that should carry over into RV's even though they don't traditionally like them, buy them, or want them (fact).

I don't see any diversity in Popeye's chicken commercials, not a white man in sight. No harm, no foul (and no pun intended). I do think people in general are a little overly sensitive to race marketing. Haven't seen any Muslims in RV commercials either, oh the outrage! (/sarcasm)

I have several black friends. None of them go camping. It's a small sample, but let's say they make up 12% of the population, which according to the last census is correct. Do you expect to see a black family in more than 12 % of the marketing? If you do, than I'd have to ask what agenda that serves which is not based in reality. In most mass media, people of color are present in substantially higher numbers than their percentage of the population would indicate they should be.

You can believe in diversity - and also look at the facts and come to the logical conclusion that this is a 'first world problem' that frankly doesn't exist in the real world.

To the OP, what percentage of the commercials should contain African Americans now that you know they are about 2% of the market?
2016 27BHS Elite
2012 F-150 EcoBoost / Max Tow
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 07:16 PM   #4
Site Team
I'm not sure what you're trying to do here but I'll play along for a little bit. Here's some demographics from a recent camping article:

2007 Jayco Feather 19H
2008 Ford Explorer SportTrac
Snake Plissken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 07:26 PM   #5
There is no where good for this thread to go. Those who believe in "diversity" will want to see more, those who believe otherwise will disagree. Someone will post something seemingly "inappropriate" and that will be that.
2013 Ram Longhorn 3500 Crew Cab 6.7 Turbo Diesel, Aisin Transmission.
2014 Jayco Eagle Premier 351 RSTS, Mor/Ryde Suspension and Pin Box, 17.5" wheel upgrade, 18k Pull Rite hitch.
cariboocreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 07:59 PM   #6
We have seen quite a few Hispanic and black families at 1000 trails campgrounds.
2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE
2012 26BH (Traded)
2002 Prowler Lynx (totaled due to tire blowout)
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 08:20 PM   #7
Originally Posted by RAurand View Post
We have seen quite a few Hispanic and black families at 1000 trails campgrounds.
Maybe that is my point...we are such a rich and diverse country, I just wonder why the marketing seems to be skewed or maybe even the purchasing. If you went to the Lincoln Natl Forest on any given holiday weekend, you would find a vast majority of RVers are hispanic. Obviously they are purchasing RVs...I just wonder why the marketing is not targeted towards them....

Not a good or bad type of discussion here, more just an observation of what I saw..
Home: El Paso Texas
Jayco Grayhawk 31FS 2010
TimHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 08:53 PM   #8
I believe that if you look at the 2 important columns in Snakes Demographic Chart are Income and Ethnicity. Those are where the marketing organizations will focus on "Who is my audience" and of that audience "Where is the money". It is a simple formula that aims in securing the biggest return on EACH advertising dollar. That is BIG business. The BOTTOM line.

How long do you have to wait for an ordered RV, they seem to be hitting their objectives.

Just my thoughts

If you look at the Asian RVers here in the USA, it is 3.2% of the RV purchasers. They are 5.6% of the population here in the USA so they seem to be right on the money as far as percentages go. They are also the top wage earners by Ethnicity.
Attached Thumbnails
Real Median household income by race and ethnicity.jpg  
2013 Jayco Eagle 284BHS
250Watt Grape Solar Panel, MorningStar MPPT 60 Charge Controller
1500 Watt Ramsond PSI, 2 Trojan T145 Batteries (260Ah)
2 - AirSight Wireless IP Cameras (used as rear view cameras)
EnGenius WI-FI extender, D-Link wireless (n) modem
MagicJack Internet Phone
2012 Ford F150XLT, EcoBoost w/3.73
157" Wheel base, HD Towing Package

Our Solar Album http://www.jaycoowners.com/album.php?albumid=329
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 09:00 PM   #9
I've been RVing, out of a base in the deep South, since the 1960's. I've seen a very slow but very steady increase in the numbers of non-Caucasians out camping, at RV shows, etc.

I think for many of us, the RV lifestyle is something we learned a love of from our parents. A combination of low average income, Jim Crow laws, and general discrimination probably discouraged non-Caucasians from taking up RVing in much of the 1950's and 1960's - even into the 1970's.
Now that most of those impediments have been removed, it's just taking time for non-Caucasians to discover the joys and benefits of RVing.

I think the pace will continue to grow and we'll see more and more diversity in campgrounds.
I also think manufacturers would be wise to broaden their marketing and try to create new market segments.
Buddy Ray - Atlanta
Jayco Eagle HT 26.5RLS
Ford F150 Lariat, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost
Max Tow Pkg, 36gal tank
Reese Sidewinder and Reese Titan 16k hitch
BuddyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 09:54 PM   #10
This is an interesting thread, and very much one of the influences on why my family now has a TT...but probably not in the way you would guess.

In 2010 my then 5 year old daughter begged us to go camping. We had never camped as a family, in fact I hadn't camped in 10+ years. My wife and I were a bit annoyed considering we had just returned from a fabulous 2 week trip to Maui with the kids, but my daughter just wanted to go since many of her friends talked about camping.

We caved, headed to Costco a couple months later and loaded up on tent camping gear. Took a trip, had a great time, but hated all the work. Made a second trip, again it was fun but lots of work. By this time we were done camping.

Ok the tie in --- that fall my wife caught an Oprah show where a Yosemite Ranger encouraged Oprah to come camping in a effort to encourage more minority visitors. What both my wife and saw was she used a PUP. That started our investigation into RVs, found out how affordable TT ownership really could be (opposed to grand tropical or European trips) and purchased our first JayFlight.

6 years later we get ~20 nights a year in. More frequently than not we camp with two other families, one family is of Hispanic heritage while we are the prototypical white 30-somethings.

So it took a lack of diversity for us to even start looking at RVs. And ironically enough when camp we never see the lack of diversity because of our camping crew is diverse.

2007 Chevy Duramax LMM/Allison
2012 Jay Flight 29QBH
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote