Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-24-2013, 02:25 PM   #11
We cook in our camper. Of course, we also use our camper for things besides camping. We take it to the fair and also to goat shows. When we are in those modes, we aren't necessarily set up in a "camping" environment so we will cook just like we were at home - whatever it happens to be that we want. If we are camping, camping or if we are doing a large pot luck or something like that we will cook outside but even at that not everything gets prepared outside. We will do a Halloween campout with th 4-H group and each camper is in charge of 1 item, 1 of us will usually prepare it outside so that we can use the large electric griddle. Of course, if it happens to rain, everything gets prepared inside regardless if we are camping or at a show.

1999 Silverado 1500 ECSB 4x4 5.3/3.73s
2009 Jayco 32BHDS
jwstewar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 02:56 PM   #12
Mostly side dishes, grits and easy stuff on the stove. In 13 years of owning a TT, I used the oven once, for brownies. I may try that again!

2012 Jayco 32 TSBH
Stored in Myrtle Beach/Surfside SC
2006 Tundra DC with tow package
No TV since Tundra can't do it

krackeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 03:10 PM   #13
Originally Posted by krackeer View Post
Mostly side dishes, grits and easy stuff on the stove. In 13 years of owning a TT, I used the oven once, for brownies. I may try that again!
Slice-and-Bake cookies are a big hit with our kids when camping, that is after they have roasted all the Marshmellows :-)
2007 Chevy Duramax LMM/Allison
2012 Jay Flight 29QBH
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 04:19 PM   #14
Although it's not my preferred place to cook - as I would rather cook over a fire or on the propane stove outside - I find it depends on what I'm cooking, what kind of a timeline is involved, etc. For instance I can heat a kettle of water for tea a heck of a lot faster over the stove in the trailer vs. the fire. Lots of different situations to determine where I cook. But the bottom line is that if my trailer has both an oven and stove, I'm going to use them. Not much point in having them if you're not going to use them.

2012 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Z-71, 6.0L, Crew Cab w/3.73's
2011 Jayco Jayflight Swift 26BH
33 Nights Camping so far in 2016
newrvguy68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 05:37 PM   #15
My wife does ALL her cooking inside the 5er when we are camping - even bacon. As mentioned above, I wash all dishes immediately after each meal, and all kitchen surfaces are cleaned. With the exhaust fan in use, we never get any lingering odors, beyond a couple of minutes.
2003 Ford F-350 V-10 Crew Cab 4WD Long Bed
2004 Jayco Designer Medallion 29 RLTS 5th wheel
Bill, Gayle, and Mindi (dachshund)
Retired at last !

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
tinlizzie23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 05:48 PM   #16
Site Team
We (and the cat) live in our TT pretty much the same as we live at home. Of course, there are limitations, some by design, some by choice. However, we use everything. Isn't that why that stuff's in there? Our TT's 13 years old and this is our 14th season camping in it.
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try:Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search

TV: 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD | Crew Cab | Std. Box | 4WD | Duramax/Allison
RV: 2000 Jayco Eagle 266 | FBS | TT -- 1986 Coleman Laramie pop-up -- Still in the family!!!
FPM III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 09:53 PM   #17
I am the primary cook at home or on the road; I have never cooked in the HTT. I have heated water on the stove and warmed up a few items in the microwave, but that is not cooking. My DW has cooked a few times inside thou, I think she even has used the oven. Part of the issue is I do NOT like to CLEAN, and I am the primary cleaner of the HTT when we get home. When I am camping it is primarily about relaxing and exploring, and not about having chores to due. But also in my defense I also do not cook much inside even at home. I grill almost everything at home, even in the winter. I think some of this also stems from not having AC at home and I do not like adding the heat and humidity into the house, which in turns is a mindset in the HTT.
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 10:12 PM   #18
We cook anything when needed in the trailer - always run the fan(s) or the fire alarm will go off. Prefer cooking outdoors - but not because of smells. Last weekend we were camping under fire restrictions so used the oven - placing our dutch oven (the planned method) into the oven. It did a good job of helping to distribute the heat on the bottom that our trailer ovens are famous for.

- 2005 Dodge 2500 CTD 6spd manual
- 2010 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 246RKS
- 2003 Casita Spirit Deluxe (sold)

My Write-up on managing 12V and batteries
LED Bulbs and what I did
Chakara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 05:20 AM   #19
Since our 5er is our home, we cook, wash clothes, shower, poop, sleep, eat and do pretty much the same things that we did when we had a Stick & Bricks home.

Our home on wheels does not smell any different than our S&B home smelled and we did not cook everything outside when we had a S&B home.
(Our home on wheels does not smell like grease or have any bad odors, we keep things clean and the trash taken out frequently just like we did in our S&B home)
Robert & Bale the "Traveling Dog"
2012 GMC 3500HD DRW
Rob_Fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 05:26 AM   #20
X2 Rob.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50C, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote