Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-23-2013, 11:12 PM   #1

Do you cook inside your TT?

We offered our TT to a family member to stay in next month in our driveway when all the relatives are in town for a family reunion with the stipulation that they don't do any cooking in the trailer. The mother-in-law thought that was a crazy expectation and said what's the point of having a trailer if you don't cook inside!

All we do is boil water for the baby's porridge in the morning and do the bacon and eggs outside on the Coleman on the picnic table and a few other coworkers with trailers agree that they don't want to sleep in a tt that smells like old grease so I was wondering ; how many people do serious cooking inside their trailers?
Old 07-23-2013, 11:34 PM   #2

We cook in our TT. We aren't making Christmas Dinner I there, but certainly breakfast foods and dinner food that isn't cooked on the BBQ. We also carry a propane stove for trips with several families to accomdate larger pots and pans, but if it's just our immediate family the Jayco stove is put to work.

Just like my house doesn't smell like grease, neither does my trailer. We run the hood vent, if the weather is nice doors and windows are open. Dishes never sit in washed and all the surfaces are cleaned after meals...just like at home.

This is one of the reasons we got a TT, to not have to leave the tent on cold mornings to make breakfast outside.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 12:05 AM   #3

We cook most of our food outside, however this is by choice, not saying I can't cook in the trailer, we will, do and have cooked any and all types of food in the trailer, just as clubhouse states, we keep it ventilated, cleaned up and never have any long lingering smells.

For your predicament, I would offer up your trailer as you mentioned, just include all the cooking gear that you take camping, who knows, maybe they will become hooked and buy their own trailer and cookware in the future

2011 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins
2012 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 297 BHS
Flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 05:47 AM   #4

We use the kitchen (in our similar) 154BH for convenience only. We love to cook outdoors.....

For serious use - a TT as small as ours should have the stove (and microwave for that matter) fan(s) vented outside. We installed a roof vent fan to help move air.....but you probably don't have one.

I think after one breakfast in the camper- and that smoke detector goes off - they be inside at the table in no time....[ATTACH][/ATTACH]
Threebutchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 05:52 AM   #5

We only cook non-greasy stuff in the trailer. No bacon or burgers.

EDUCATION is what you get when you read the fine print.....
EXPERIENCE is what you get when you don't.
tnchuck100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 06:00 AM   #6

We also do not cook greasy items in the TT, but beyond that cooking inside is fine. We do cook outside anytime the weather allows.

2011 Jayflight X213
2011 GMC Sierra Crew Cab
fochman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 07:16 AM   #7

We do lots of cooking inside our kitchen, but definately not bacon!! I have an electric frying pan that I take outside for cooking grease laden foods. Come to think of it other than cooking up some extra lean ground beef inside, every other meat is done outside on the BBQ... so indoor cooking seems to be mostly veggies, side dishes, etc. and all the other prep. It's so nice not to have to condend with the bugs and the weather first thing in the morning or at other times.

We tried the oven once but it burnt the bottom of what we were cooking and I realize now that I need a pizza stone or tile in there to even out the heat.

Here is my humble opinion on the whole to use or not to use thing, whether kitchen or bathroom or whatever. All rvs are essentially disposable after 20+ years; so maintain them, keep then clean and shiny as best you can but enjoy all the ammenities you paid for because there's really no point trying to preserve something that is going to eventually depreciate down to nothing, wear out and become outdated even if you never use it and leave it in its original packaging.

That being said, it's your rv and guests who are using it ought to respect the rules of the house ;-) mother in law or not, LOL. After all, it's parked in the driveway ----why not just come into the house for meals and washrooms?

Funny thing is, as I write this I have inlaws visiting and some are using our TT for sleeping. I hooked up the water works so they can use the washroom as well. I really like having the TT for this purpose as it makes an excellent guest house for visiting inlaws (or for us).
Old 07-24-2013, 07:38 AM   #8

Yes, Threebutchers, I don't have and outside venting fans (yet!) and if the range hood vented outside I think it would make a huge difference. The mother-in-law is the one freaking out about cooking and it's the aunt and uncle that's going to be using it, and they are fine with it and don't plan on doing any cooking anyway. We did offer to set up the camp stoves just outside the TT for them if they wanted but they have free access to the house anyway so I doubt they will choose to do much in the tiny trailer other than sleep.

We aren't trying to keep it pristine by any means, we have a baby and 2 dogs so it's far from that! The DW is very sensitive to smells so we have a pretty scent-free house and it seems to make odours that much stronger and it's bad enough with a baby and 2 dogs!

Thanks for the reply's it's been interesting to see what everyone does.
Old 07-24-2013, 07:41 AM   #9

Very rarely. We mostly cook outside except for heating things up in the microwave. I wish travel trailers had a removable stove option like pop-up campers have. Our new hybrid has a on oven! Really? We'll never use it.

On the other hand, the situation you are describing is not "camping". Its temporary living quarters. That said, its your unit and your rules. They should not be offended.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 07:45 AM   #10

We cook in the kitchen but have a vent fan and cover the food when cooking burgers or bacon. I also keep some Febreeze to eliminate the smell An outdoor grill is on my Christmas list.
Iraqvet05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 02:25 PM   #11

We cook in our camper. Of course, we also use our camper for things besides camping. We take it to the fair and also to goat shows. When we are in those modes, we aren't necessarily set up in a "camping" environment so we will cook just like we were at home - whatever it happens to be that we want. If we are camping, camping or if we are doing a large pot luck or something like that we will cook outside but even at that not everything gets prepared outside. We will do a Halloween campout with th 4-H group and each camper is in charge of 1 item, 1 of us will usually prepare it outside so that we can use the large electric griddle. Of course, if it happens to rain, everything gets prepared inside regardless if we are camping or at a show.
jwstewar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 02:56 PM   #12

Mostly side dishes, grits and easy stuff on the stove. In 13 years of owning a TT, I used the oven once, for brownies. I may try that again!
No TV since Tundra can't do it

krackeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 03:10 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by krackeer View Post
Mostly side dishes, grits and easy stuff on the stove. In 13 years of owning a TT, I used the oven once, for brownies. I may try that again!
Slice-and-Bake cookies are a big hit with our kids when camping, that is after they have roasted all the Marshmellows :-)
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 04:19 PM   #14

Although it's not my preferred place to cook - as I would rather cook over a fire or on the propane stove outside - I find it depends on what I'm cooking, what kind of a timeline is involved, etc. For instance I can heat a kettle of water for tea a heck of a lot faster over the stove in the trailer vs. the fire. Lots of different situations to determine where I cook. But the bottom line is that if my trailer has both an oven and stove, I'm going to use them. Not much point in having them if you're not going to use them.

2012 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Z-71, 6.0L, Crew Cab w/3.73's
2011 Jayco Jayflight Swift 26BH
38 Nights Camping in 2017
newrvguy68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 05:37 PM   #15

My wife does ALL her cooking inside the 5er when we are camping - even bacon. As mentioned above, I wash all dishes immediately after each meal, and all kitchen surfaces are cleaned. With the exhaust fan in use, we never get any lingering odors, beyond a couple of minutes.
Retired at last !

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
tinlizzie23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 05:48 PM   #16
Site Team

We (and the cat) live in our TT pretty much the same as we live at home. Of course, there are limitations, some by design, some by choice. However, we use everything. Isn't that why that stuff's in there? Our TT's 13 years old and this is our 14th season camping in it.

TV: 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD | Crew Cab | Std. Box | 4WD | Duramax/Allison
RV: 2000 Jayco Eagle 266 | FBS | TT
PREVIOUS: 1986 Coleman Laramie pop-up -- Still in the family!!!

FPM III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 09:53 PM   #17

I am the primary cook at home or on the road; I have never cooked in the HTT. I have heated water on the stove and warmed up a few items in the microwave, but that is not cooking. My DW has cooked a few times inside thou, I think she even has used the oven. Part of the issue is I do NOT like to CLEAN, and I am the primary cleaner of the HTT when we get home. When I am camping it is primarily about relaxing and exploring, and not about having chores to due. But also in my defense I also do not cook much inside even at home. I grill almost everything at home, even in the winter. I think some of this also stems from not having AC at home and I do not like adding the heat and humidity into the house, which in turns is a mindset in the HTT.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 10:12 PM   #18

We cook anything when needed in the trailer - always run the fan(s) or the fire alarm will go off. Prefer cooking outdoors - but not because of smells. Last weekend we were camping under fire restrictions so used the oven - placing our dutch oven (the planned method) into the oven. It did a good job of helping to distribute the heat on the bottom that our trailer ovens are famous for.

-Chak

My Write-up on managing 12V and batteries
LED Bulbs and what I did
Chakara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 05:20 AM   #19

Since our 5er is our home, we cook, wash clothes, shower, poop, sleep, eat and do pretty much the same things that we did when we had a Stick & Bricks home.

Our home on wheels does not smell any different than our S&B home smelled and we did not cook everything outside when we had a S&B home.
(Our home on wheels does not smell like grease or have any bad odors, we keep things clean and the trash taken out frequently just like we did in our S&B home)
Rob_Fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 05:26 AM   #20

X2 Rob.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote