Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-19-2017, 07:54 PM   #1

Do you take a scooter camping?

Last year I picked up a little honda ruckus scooter to take with us when we're camping to get around the campground, it's our little "golf cart". Its also great for a quick trip out to a store if needed. Just curious if anyone else scooters when camping and would love to see some pics.

Since it is registered and insured I have never had a problem at any campground or state park.

Kampfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 08:08 PM   #2

I take my dirt bike along sometimes, it's about the same size, actually called a 'Pit-bike'. If you've ever been to a motorcycle race, they use them in the pits to run around instead of golf carts. It's not street legal so I stay off paved roads with it, but it's registered in state. I like yours. Being street legal has some major advantages. I may have to look into this more.

Although after I upgrade my tow vehicle this spring, I was thinking about bringing the ATV along... decisions

Can you get a rack for it that would maybe carry a bundle of firewood or 2?
That would be a great add-on.
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 08:25 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bansai View Post
I take my dirt bike along sometimes, it's about the same size, actually called a 'Pit-bike'. If you've ever been to a motorcycle race, they use them in the pits to run around instead of golf carts. It's not street legal so I stay off paved roads with it, but it's registered in state. I like yours. Being street legal has some major advantages. I may have to look into this more.

Although after I upgrade my tow vehicle this spring, I was thinking about bringing the ATV along... decisions

Can you get a rack for it that would maybe carry a bundle of firewood or 2?
That would be a great add-on.
My sons had a Honda xr100 and a suzuki drz110 which were kind of like pit bikes. I can get 1 bundle of wood on the floor board between my feet and I can also get a couple bags of ice. My next mod for it will be a removable rack on the rear.

I camp in Lancaster county PA which is Amish country, its fun to scoot around on the back roads there.
Old 01-19-2017, 08:36 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kampfire View Post
My sons had a Honda xr100 and a suzuki drz110 which were kind of like pit bikes. I can get 1 bundle of wood on the floor board between my feet and I can also get a couple bags of ice. My next mod for it will be a removable rack on the rear.

I camp in Lancaster county PA which is Amish country, its fun to scoot around on the back roads there.
Ah yes, I'm familiar with the area. We have a large office in Ephrata that moved there from NYC (much cheaper rent, etc..) There are so many Amish running around you can probably get some legit Amish craftsmanship in your Jayco if needed
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 04:47 AM   #5

I have a 12' utility trailer that is 6.5' wide inside and I can take my golf cart and a Yamaha Zuma 125 on it side by side. I don't tow it behind the 5'er, but my SO brings it to the campground behind her car. Gotta have my scooter. It is street legal and never a problem with the campgrounds where I am hosting. I don't have it with me right now because it is winter and I'm in west central Alabama. Now come June when I'm in Florida I will have it with me again.

A picture of my Zuma in it's camping garage.
Attached Thumbnails
20130720_085717.jpg  

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 01:59 PM   #6

We've considered it several times for various reasons. We have a very short commute to work, so it would be a nice gas saver for commuting or for short errands. But with the price of gas down right now, we kind of backed off the idea.

I always thought it would be neat to have a couple in the bed of the truck on trips. But how would we haul our son on it? He's only 2, so he's not old enough to ride on it yet. So, again, we kind of backed off the idea. So, we just use the truck if we need to go somewhere we aren't walking. If it were just DW and I, I wouldn't hesitate to get a pair and put them in the truck; I think that would be a lot of fun!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 03:33 PM   #7

I bought my wife a 125cc Honda Grom as a learning bike and I will be taking it with us when we go camping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Chickeneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 07:21 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickeneye View Post

That beauty in the background sure looks like a nice one to take along on trips.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 23MB Elite
Previous RV's, 1988 33-foot Barth Class A and 1994 Flagstaff Pop-Up
Desert RVers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 07:22 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert RVers View Post
That beauty in the background sure looks like a nice one to take along on trips.

LoL thank you. Yeah but it's a little harder to fit on the back of the Jeep or HB.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 01-20-2017, 09:13 PM   #10

As someone who has had 2 groms. The other bike will sit once you figure out how damn much fun a 125 can be. Something about passing on a mini bike doing 65. People give you the strangest looks. Anyway better to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
gpd2111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 11:40 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickeneye View Post
I bought my wife a 125cc Honda Grom as a learning bike and I will be taking it with us when we go camping.

Nice, I love the Grom. I was thinking about getting one soon. The wife can ride the ruckus which works out well since she likes the automatic and I would have the grom. I'll have to wait till next season since we just got a new truck and camper.
Old 01-21-2017, 05:16 AM   #12

Eprahta is a nice area. We have a couple Hydroelectric facilities out that way. I purchased my shed from the Amish near Ephrata
Old 01-21-2017, 06:09 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpd2111 View Post
As someone who has had 2 groms. The other bike will sit once you figure out how damn much fun a 125 can be. Something about passing on a mini bike doing 65. People give you the strangest looks. Anyway better to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

LoL we have 3 bikes and I ride her grom pretty often but I love my street glide more. But where we live being on any bike big or small is dangerous I'm a police officer and we have had at least 3 people killed on bikes this month. Plus groms are being stolen left and right so we keep hers in the house lol.